Options

[EQ2] Next Expansion Announced! Rise of Kunark

xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in MMO Extravaganza
Release Date: November 13, 2007

Genre: Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG)

Platform: Windows PC

Rating: Teen

Developer: Sony Online Entertainment

Publisher: Sony Online Entertainment

Price: $39.99 at retail and digital download, $59.99 Limited Edition

Rise of Kunark Description:

Centuries of war have left their mark on the continent of Kunark. Explore this massive region as your existing character or as the new playable race – The Sarnak – and discover a world full of intrigue and danger. Engage in all-new adventures as you embark on a crusade to reveal the truth of the wars between the reborn Iksar Empire, Sarnaks, and Dragons and uncover artifacts long since thought lost to history. The lush, nostalgic continent of Kunark begins your courageous path from the new starting city in Timorous Deep. Rise of Kunark is the fourth expansion pack for the critically acclaimed EverQuest II franchise. With the introduction of the new playable race, the Sarnak, and new starting area, Timorous Deep, Rise of Kunark provides a full range of content for new player’s levels 1-20 as well as advanced, high level players whom can now achieve up to level 80 in high level zones, both increasing their Adventure and Tradeskill classes. Rise of Kunark includes many highly-detailed areas that are fondly remembered from EverQuest as well as brand new areas only recently unearthed! Hundreds of new quests, dozens of new NPCs, brand new Epic Weapon quests for each class, and new armor sets await those who dare set foot on this fabled continent.

Feature Set:

All-New Player Race – Start up a brand new Sarnak – the classic dragon-like humanoid creature that now inhabits Timorous Deep. Exiled from your homeland and magically altered, discover how your new breed came to be, and eventually return home to help your race triumph over the evil Iksar.

New Starting Area – Begin your adventure from the new starting area in the islands of Timorous Deep. Conclude your day of epic quests and retire to new housing within the Village of Gorowyn.

Level Cap Raised – Continue your adventures on your existing character in Kunark, expanding on your achievements as Adventure, Tradeskill and Guild levels all increase to 80.

More Unique Zones – Advance your way through new massive regions, containing many zones filled with nostalgia and danger, such as the Emerald Jungle and the Skyfire Mountains

Hundreds of New Quests – The tale of Kunark is told through hundreds of new quests, aimed at gameplay of all types: solo, group, and raid.

More Weapons & Armor – New Epic Weapon quests for all 24 classes, with new weapons for both those who raid and those who choose not to. Battle through the opposition and acquire additional fabled and legendary armor sets as well.

New Mount – Explore the world on the shoulders of a new rampaging beast - The Kunarkian Rhinoceros.

New Deities – Recent activities on Norrath have again attracted the attention of the gods. Bertoxxulous the Plaguebringer, Karana the Rain Keeper, and the mysterious Tribunal return to exert their influences on planet. As with the existing gods of Norrath, players may pledge to these new deities to gain access to their Blessings and Miracles.

Dozens of New NPCs – Encounter and engage a wide variety of new enemies that inhabit the menacing lands of Kunark

You can read the whole thing here Allakhazam's Magical Realm: Everquest II

I am not a huge fan of the Sarnak as I play Iksar mostly but level 80 cap and epic quests for all classes! Hell yeah!

xYUUBINKYOKUx on

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Squeezing blood from human stones. To be honest, I'm surprised it took them this long.

JAEF on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I keep checking to see if this is the expansion that releases 'amazing vertical movement' capabilities.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I believe that was the desert online "content pack" that raped you for a good $10 or so.

...RevolutionaryVerticalMovement.jpg

Unbelievable. They bolded that section themselves, that's nothing I added.

JAEF on
  • Options
    chthonianchthonian Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I just want to revisit my favorite old spots. EQ1 Kunark was the expansion which roped me in to online gaming

chthonian on
    Do Arabs dream of American sheep?
  • Options
    xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    JAEF wrote: »
    I believe that was the desert online "content pack" that raped you for a good $10 or so.

I don't know of any other MMO that has this feature. For the first little while I had no idea this was even in the game all I had was the base game. Then when Echos of Fay came out they had lots of trees that you could climb. I feel like it really helps to make the world feel more complete since there does not have to be a walkable path to go up everywhere. Also the Desert one was not a content pack it was a full expantion. The content packs are only $8 and have some good content in them. Really there is nothing to complain about price wise since in the most recent expansion they also gave you the base game and the 2 expansions that came before it for free.

xYUUBINKYOKUx on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    JAEF wrote: »

I don't know of any other MMO that has this feature.
    Really? Did you know in World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade you can fly? It's quite pleasant.

I do apologize, after some research it looks like Desert of Flame was released almost a full year (!) after EQ2 itself and is indeed a full expansionarium. I grew very disenchanted with EQ2 when I realized that at about level 16 or so it just turns into EQ1 again with a new combat system and coat of paint. And that awful, awful crafting system that they finally heavily revamped and I imagine is actually somewhat decent now.

JAEF on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You could jump over bulidings and fly in City of Heroes since day one.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yes but you can't climb!

I'm gonna go buy EQ2 RIGHT NOW!!!

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    There's a pretty neat article on Gamasutra about EQ2 and the direction the team is taking it. It's a good read; basically, Scott Hartsman admits the game sucked at launch and that a radical shift in the way SOE approaches MMO games is happening, which is already paying dividends in EQ2. Link is here.

Now, I don't play EQ2 and have no interest in another fantasy MMO but it looks like these guys are done adhering to a "flawed vision" (Hartsman's words, not mine) and are taking the game in a more interesting direction.

zilo on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    See, the only problem with this kind of shift is that the principal system of the games core essence is totally ass-raped whenever anyone tries to do this. Granted you can "take the game in a different direction" and the idea that one would realize their game sucks and wants to fix it is a fantastic one - but you almost have to build a new game from the ground up in order to really deal with the kind of complications that come from trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

Much luck to them and their efforts.

And as a side note: I'm sick to DEATH of the fantasy world. Wizards and Orcs and fuck off and die.
    Die Hard MMO plzkthx.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud