As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Irvin Kershner has passed (They come in threes? Probably not)

GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM!ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Social Entropy++
So if you believe in that whole 'deaths come in threes' thing then you may find this notable. Irvin Kershner, director of such films like Never Say Never Again and The Empire Strikes Back, has passed away.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/30/movies/30kershner.html
Irvin Kershner, who directed the Star Wars sequel “The Empire Strikes Back” and the James Bond film “Never Say Never Again,” has died. He was 87

I'm sure to some this isn't QUITE as big a loss as Leslie was, but as a Star Wars fan I'm certainly a little sad.

So who will be number 3?

edit: Irvin was the one responsible for Han Solo's badass line before he gets frozen in carbonite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO-KR-14uXM

Originally written as "I love you too", Irvin wanted it changed because he didn't think it suited Han Solo. And damnit, he was right! It took multiple improvised takes for them to finally land on this one and it fucking works brilliantly.

edit: EDITED FOR PEOPLE NOT BEING SUPERSTITIOUS

GreasyKidsStuff on

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh, fuck. :(

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    this is my favorite movie. this saddens me.

vermiculture on
    steam id: vermiculture
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They really don't come in threes though

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Makes you wonder what the other alternate lines were.

"Um, I'm not ready to say it yet."

"I...uh...lmphhhf you, too."

"I have a bad feeling about this."

"Don't get any funny ideas, Lando."

"Now you tell me?"

"There's room in here for two."

El Guaco on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    they do not come in threes

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sean Connery is next!

Comahawk on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I thought I heard Harrison Ford improvised that line?

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Yeah, he did, but Kershner decided to keep it in because he thought it was a better line.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    If only Lucas had the wisdom to ask a director like Kirshner to work with him on the prequels.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah I didn't really specify it was Ford who improvised the line. Kershner wanted the original one changed though.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Yeah, he did, but Kershner decided to keep it in because he thought it was a better line.

If you any of you guys didn't read Kershner's amazing Vanity Fair interview that came out last month, you should do it now
    One of the biggest surprises in the book is that, in 1980, you had to convince interviewers you were not just following George’s direction. Obviously no one thinks that today. What was the biggest argument you and George had over a particular scene?

Kershner: There was really only one disagreement. It was the Carbon Freeze scene when Princess Leia says, “I love you.” Han Solo’s response in the script was, “I love you, too.” I shot the line and it just didn’t seem right for the character of Han Solo. So we worked on the scene on the set. We kept trying different things and couldn’t get the right line. We were into the lunch break and I said to Harrison try it again and just do whatever comes to mind. That is when Harrison said the line, “I know.” After the take, I said to my assistant director, David Tomblin, “It’s a wrap.” David looked at me in disbelief and said something like, “Hold on, we just went to overtime. You’re not happy with that, are you?” And I said, yes, it’s the perfect Han Solo remark, and so we went to lunch. George saw the first cut and said, “Wait a minute, wait a minute. That’s not the line in the script.” I said ““I love you, too’ was not Han Solo.” Han Solo was a rebel. George felt that the audience would laugh. And I said, that’s wonderful, he is probably going to his death for all they know. We sat in the room and he thought about it. He then asked me, “Did you shoot the line in the script?” I said yes. So we agreed that we would do two preview screenings once the film was cut and set to music with the line in and then with the line out. At the first preview in San Francisco, the house broke up after Han Solo said I know. When the film was over, people came up and said that is the most wonderful line and it worked. So George decided not to have the second screening.

Also
    I remember reading in 1983 that George was going to take two years off, then take three years to make the first prequel, which would be released in 1988. If that had actually happened in 1988 (instead of 1999), would you have considered directing one of the prequels?

Kershner: Ten years later, I would have said yes to directing one of the prequels.

LUCASSSSSSSSSSSS

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    they actually come in 23s. it's just much harder to detect.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't think another director could have made the prequels great. Maybe a little less terrible?

El Guaco on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    leslie nielson died yesterday who will be thirrrd

hoping for shia ledouche

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    who will be the third?

looks like it's Justin Bieber's voice
    The 16-year-old 'Baby' Singer is currently struggling as puberty alters his vocal chords, but has a voice expert watching over him and ensure he can still perform his hits live.

HE'S ACTUALLY (ALMOST) REACHED PUBERTY NOW

also, actually in regards to this:
    SHUT UP ALL OF YOU

NOBODY WILL EVER DIE AGAIN

EVER

DAMMIT DEATH WHY DIDN'T YOU LISTEN

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    oh man I hope Bieber turns to estrogen injections

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    El Guaco wrote: »
    Makes you wonder what the other alternate lines were.

"Um, I'm not ready to say it yet."

"I...uh...lmphhhf you, too."

"I have a bad feeling about this."

"Don't get any funny ideas, Lando."

"Now you tell me?"

"There's room in here for two."

"Olive juice you too"

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh my god that Justin Bieber article

I have waited for this day

GreasyKidsStuff on