As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Black Friday/Cyber Monday: The Aftermath

Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
So the two biggest holiday sales have come to an end, and the wallets of many victims have been stripped bare. In this thread, I'd like to discuss about our favorite purchases, the ones we let slip away, the crazy mob rushes for those of us [strike]crazy[/strike] brave enough to venture into stores instead of buying online, and so on.

Here is my list of purchases, which I'm ready to deem "complete" after the last few lightning deals from Amazon and Steam.

1. Street Fighter IV Round 2 Tournament Edition Fight Stick (B1G1, Madcatz Store)-$150

Gonna try to sell the free one on Ebay, essentially getting one fight stick for free (or near value)

2. Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time (Wal-Mart Online)-$11

Paid the extra dollar to have it shipped to my house. I pretty much do whatever I can to avoid physically entering a Wal-Mart store.

3. Dragon Age Awakening (Xbox 360, K-Mart In-Store)-$35

I was honestly surprised they had this. My vanilla copy (which was free to begin with, as I was commissioned to review it a year back) sold for $15 on EBay, so I consider it a victory.

4. Play N Trade 3 for $6

My local PnT had a box full of PS2/Xbox/GC games, buy any 3 for $6 total. The pickings were somewhat slim, but I walked away satisfied with the following PS2 games:

Valkyrie Profile 2 Silmeria
(worth the $6 on its own. Pretty rare to find, and something I've been meaning to get for a while)

Onimusha 4 (finished it on a rental, but heck, might as well complete my collection, crazy DBZ-ness aside)

Rumble Roses (this was after they couldn't locate Viewtiful Joe or Simpsons: Hit & Run. As usual, whenever I'm faced with rejection, my only alternative is masturbation)

5. Kick-Ass (Amazon) $9.99:

All movies listed are Blu Ray, FYI.

6. Superbad (Amazon) $4.99+Promotional code GRHORNET: $2

Yep, $2 for using that code. News flash, Amazon is awesome.

7. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (Moviestop): $5

The only physical movie purchase I made. I got the DVD on Christmas a few years back, so I'll be selling that one on Ebay.

8. World of Warcraft (Amazon): $5, The Burning Crusade (Blizzard): $5, and Wrath of the Lich King (Blizzard) $5:

Well, it's official. After years of sticking with FFXI and vowing never to touch the poop-socking, baby-killing MMO, I've finally popped my WoW cherry, as it was one of the most heavily discounted games this Black Friday.

You could nab the game pretty much anywhere for $5 on BF, but I stuck with Amazon as they offered a $5 promotion. I was a bit worried if the copy would ship in time before Blizzard pulled back their sales for the expansions, but it turns out they're awesome enough to have packages delivered on Sunday. I'm now up to date on all WoW shenanigans, minus Cataclysm.

9. Mad Men Seasons 1-3 (Amazon): $9.99 each

I can never go one day without hearing someone singing the praises of this show. While I still have my doubts whether it can meet the ridiculous hype set forth by people, forumer Rent put it best by saying that even if I somehow hated the series, I could always sell it back at a profit.

Couldn't argue with that, but I hope it ends up an enjoyable series regardless.

10. Valkyria Chronicles II (Amazon): $5

A Saturday night Lightning Deal, I applied my $15 credit to finally nab this sequel to one of my favorite PS3 games. It still bugs the crap out of me that the next two sequels are on PSP, but I've heard too much praise to delay this purchase any longer.

11. Samsung BX2331 LCD Monitor (NewEgg): $179

I'd been looking into upgrading my PC monitor for a while now (max was 1440x900), as I wanted to avoid having to constantly switch the resolutions of my PC games when displaying them on my big TV. Not only will this monitor keep everything permanently at 1920x1080, it's bound to look good enough that I won't be compelled as much to change displays.

12. Star Wars: KOTOR (Steam): $2.50

And finally, I ended up using Steam's ridiculous prices to nab a game I'd been putting off for too long. I've played KOTOR before, but never made it past a certain point. Now that I have a legit digital copy, I'll finally commit my full attention to it, after I apply some mods to help spruce the visuals and UI to current standards. Also can't wait to see that "big twist" everyone always talks about.

Missed Out/Didn't Buy:

1. The Hurt Locker (Amazon): $9.99

The Lightning Deal bar wasn't working for some reason, and an Amazon rep wouldn't apply the promotion after it expired. Too bad, it's an awesome movie.

2. Harry Potter Years 1-6 (Amazon): $40

Decided not to get this one, as I was pretty set on getting the complete collection of Lost.

3. Lost The Complete Collection (Amazon): $130

But then I also decided not to get this one either. It was real tempting, but I wanted to go through BF under a budget. Maybe it'll pop up again for Christmas.

4. Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 PS3 (Amazon): $34.99

Really came close to using the $15 credit on this game. Despite how you feel about the series, there's no denying that the game looks hot. I ultimately decided to leave it alone, as odds were good it would drop to that price anyway in a few months. If anything else, I plan to ask for it for Christmas.

Had it dropped to $29.99 yesterday, instead of the day after I used the credit toward VCII, I would certainly have gotten this game instead.

5. Hellboy 2 (Amazon): $7.99

Another movie that will probably reach that price on its own, and soon. It was tempting, but after nabbing Superbad for $2, any other BLU purchase just seemed too much.

I'm looking forward to hearing what the rest of you got, and what you're currently enjoying.

Professor Snugglesworth on

• Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I bought six trade paperbacks from Things From Another World for about $20.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Did anyone die this year?

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My wife and I went regular grocery shopping on saturday, after black friday. Saturday is usually a horrible time to go grocery shopping, because thats when everyone goes. But man, going right after black friday, when everyone spends all their money on crap, the groceries were fully stocked. There wasn't a single thing on our list that was out on the shelf, usually there are a lot. And there was hardly anyone else in the aisles.

Best time to go grocery shopping!

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »
    I bought six trade paperbacks from Things From Another World for about $20.

From where? I regrettably didn't find any deals on TPBs or books of any kind.

• Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    tfaw.com. They had some $1 trades over the weekend and today, and 60% off their nick and dent books.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I didn't buy anything during the weekend, but my parents did order me this monitor: 27" Samsung P2770FH off newegg.com for Christmas.

Though since I'm the one who found it, saw it was $100 off and ended up doing all the work for her, it feels like I bought it.

Invisible on
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I grabbed a few bits and bats off of Steam but the big ones for me were Smallville 1 - 9 for £56 and a Best of Trent Acid 3Disc set for £15 including international shipping.

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »
    tfaw.com. They had some $1 trades over the weekend and today, and 60% off their nick and dent books.

Man, I guess it was while supplies last, because what they got right now is slim pickings.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I did buy lost from amazon at $125 on blu-ray. regular price is $200 so I'm pretty happy with it.

I got several other things, gotta look at amazon to do a list

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Picked up:
    Mad Men 1-3 - $10 each
    West Wing 1-3 - $18 each
    Chuck 1 - $21
    Drag Me to Hell - $11
    Harry Potter - HBP - $10
    Black Dynamite - $10
    Man With No Name Trilogy - $25
    Walk Hard - Dewey Cox Story - $8

Everything except West Wing is on BluRay. Would have gotten more, except my wife tripped over the cat and stepped on her laptop, so we're saving up to get her a new one.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    lsukalellsukalel Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    NCAA 2K11 - 29.99
    Predators - 10.00
    Harry Potter 1-6 : 59.99
    Dollhouse : 13.99
    Life: 36.99
    "JBuds J3 Micro Atomic In-Ear Earphones with Travel Case (Jet Black)" 19.95
    He-Man Complete Series (2003) - 7.99

All bluray except He-Man

Pretty good haul overall

lsukalel on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    NBA Jam for the Wii, $30, and it's been spinning in there ever since.

Didn't get anything else, because I got that eight minutes after midnight and that was my break during working Black Friday.

I wound up trying to carry out a basketball hoop for a customer and spent an hour in line, clocking out 50 minutes late.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I got a shirt on threadless.

It's purple.

Evander on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    9 shirts, all the same design (solid color, long sleeve), but they're in different colors so I can layer them with my t-shirts
    4 new pairs of jeans
    3 books from Amazon.com that I'm about to order when I stop pre-mourning the loss of money
    1 present for a friend (a Muse poster)
    3 shirts from Natalie Dee
    2 shirts from Johnny Wander
    2 TB external harddrive

that's about it...Next up to order is a pair of Dr. Marten boots, new snow boots, and uh...maybe a strobe light and fog machine for personal usage.

Mim on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My BF got me Recettear. :3

And I bought my sister's Christmas present at a third off.

Aaaaaand that's it.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This year was pretty bare, other than games and movies.

All the good stuff I (thought I had) bought is getting cancelled.

$8 LOTR trilogy blu-ray - Target. Cancelled
    $300 42" Panasonic plasma - Buy.com. Cancelled
    $200 32" LG lcd - Fry's. Cancelled
    $50 Logitech Harmony 1100 remote - Fry's. Cancelled
    $300 Canon S95 - Newegg. Cancelled

I mean, come on, fucking Newegg? I know Fry's is sketchy at best, but Newegg is traditional one of the best web stores out there.

And then there was Staples and the $50 WD 2gb external HDD. They fucked up one of their coupons, fine. But then they turn around and cancel all coupons associated with that order, including legit ones. The coupon codes are 1-time use, they can't be used again - and that includes Rewards Program coupons.

This was already a weak BF to start with based on the ads, the companies not honoring what few good deals there were made it the worst BF I can remember, definitely the worst in at least 5 years.

I got a new jacket and some shoes, at least.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ouch, that sucks.

I'm glad my hatred of the LOTR Trilogy on BLU being the non-extended editions was enough to keep me from buying it. I would have probably gotten pissed over the canceled order as well.

Pretty sure Amazon never cancels their orders, even when they're obvious mistakes.

• Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Unfortunately, I found out about the $8 trilogy too late to grab a copy. I'd ignored the $8 for each movie by itself on Amazon the day before, since I'm waiting for the extended versions, but for $8 there's no way I would have passed up all three theatrical cuts.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Unfortunately, I found out about the $8 trilogy too late to grab a copy. I'd ignored the $8 for each movie by itself on Amazon the day before, since I'm waiting for the extended versions, but for $8 there's no way I would have passed up all three theatrical cuts.

If you were planning to order online, "too late" was at any time. AFAIK they didn't ship any of them. You would've had to go to Target B&M in the morning.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I almost physically stopped at Wal-Mart at midnight to score A Crack in Time for $10.

Physically and mentally exhausted due to an early morning exercise that day, I considered it an act of mercy when Wal-mart put the game up online for the same price.

Oh, and it should be noted that the Harry Potter BLU collection is on sale now on Amazon.UK, coming up to $28 USD. If you own a PS3 or other region free blu ray player, this is an even better deal than the one from BF, but I'm putting my foot down on anymore purchases.