As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] The Lone Ranger [COMPLETE] - Take that, Childhood

The Real InfernoThe Real Inferno Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Games and Technology
An introduction:
I am The Real Inferno. I'm mostly known for only two things. Either as a writer for The Wrestling Fan, or as a tournament organizer and competitive player for Super Smash Bros Brawl. Mostly, people just remember the Brentalfloss Barockman Obama avatar. I'm still really new to the PA forums. While browsing through the games section today, I realized that there's actually quite a few LPs going on here. So, I decided I would make a topic about my own LP, which is my first. I plan to continue doing them, but I started out with a game from my childhood that I loved (but oddly, I've never beaten it). So, without further ado....

Let's Play The Lone Ranger
56343529027front.jpg

About the Game:

The Lone Ranger is an ancestor to the Green Hornet (fun fact for the day). This game, by Konami, was released in 1991 for the Nintendo Entertainment System and only in North America. The story is loosely based on the plot to the 1981 film, Legend of the Long Ranger. It features over-head, side-scrolling, and first-person shooter levels, as well as an overworld map the player can move around in. The player can use their fists, bullet, dynamite and the Lone Ranger signature silver bullets to combat their foes. Some detective work is also needed in order to progress through the game.

The Plot:
It is the early 1880s. Butch Cavendish murdered a group of Texas Rangers, including the Lone Ranger's brother. Butch has kidnapped the president and it's up to the Lone Ranger to find Butch and finally get revenge for the slaughter of his friends and brother....oh, and the president too. Yeah. With the aid of his trusted Indian friend and companion, Tonto, and the legendary white horse, Silver, the Lone Ranger sets out on a quest of Law and Justice in the early west.

About the LP:
I have a rather extensive collection of games for old Nintendo and Sega systems. My entertainment center is a nightmare of cables and boxes just to have them all hooked up and running. This game in particular was one of my favorites when I was a kid, though it was actually my sister's game. I've never been able to beat it, though I have made it to the final boss in the past. It's just, I almost always immediately died when I got there. I hope to rectify that in this LP. This is my first LP, so please hang in there through the wonky audio as I try to figure out what works best and captures the best quality.

Suggestions:
While the second game I will be playing has already been decided, I am taking suggestions on games to play after that. I do have some rules on things that will actually be considered. The first rule is that it must be on one of the following systems (or, alternatively, a freeware title): Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Master System, Genesis, N64, Gamecube, Dreamcast, PS2, Wii. The second rule is that I must actually own it (so long as you stick to American titles, this is very likely).

No, I will not ever be playing I Wanna Be the Guy. First of all, I have played through it in the past and beaten it and have no desire to ever do so again unless a gun is pointed to my head. Second, I do believe it was banned as an LP topic in one of the topics I read on here.

Now, then. I hope everyone enjoys the videos. Suggestions and questions are welcome. If you have any idea for something that might help make the viewing experience more pleasurable, I am all ears.

The Videos (All Parts uploaded below)

Suggestions I have received so far:
Shatterhand (NES)
Batman & Robin (Genesis)
Superman (N64)
Phantasy Star Online (Dreamcast)
Milon's Secret Castle (NES)

Every night I wonder if I might be a robot.

Beginner Let's Player. Help a brother out and watch a couple: Let's Play The Lone Ranger (Playlist) (Forum Topic)
The Real Inferno on

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't really watch any LPs these days, but I just want to say that I remember renting The Lone Ranger and thinking it was pretty fantastic back then.

SteevL on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    As far as licensed games go, you could do far less than Lone Ranger. It's probably one of the best licensed games I've played on a classic console by far. It has game play and graphic elements very reminiscent of other Konami titles like Castlevania, which might be noticed by veteran game fanatics.

Just uploaded episode 4 to youtube. Might not be available in HD yet.

I also received a Let's Play recommendation via PM. Feel free to post any suggestions in the thread or PM them, I don't really mind which. You can also comment on a video or send it via a message on youtube.

The Real Inferno on

Beginner Let's Player. Help a brother out and watch a couple: Let's Play The Lone Ranger (Playlist) (Forum Topic)
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I watched the first episode, and wow, this is a surprisingly cool game! Thanks for sharing it with us. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of these.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man, I haven't seen this in so many years.

Thanks for giving me back some good ol' nostalgia.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Thanks for the support, it's a pretty fun game. I'm enjoying myself.

Episode 5 is up now.

The Real Inferno on

• Options
    edited November 2010
    Episode 6 Uploaded. Suddenly, there are ninjas.

The Real Inferno on

• Options
    edited November 2010
    Episode 7 time. Wish I could have finished it off today, but I'll have to do that tomorrow.

The Real Inferno on

• Options
    edited December 2010
    THE END

It was fun doing my first LP, even if it didn't take off and become super popular. I made this to have fun for the most because I always wanted to do one, and I did. I hope those of you who watched this enjoyed it too and enjoy this last episode.

Episode 8
    I will be back with more. Maybe not this week as a have a lot of work piled on top of me for school right now, but soon. I'm not entirely sure which game it's going to be. I was, but a second option has been nagging at me to be played as well. Any suggestions or critiques on things I could do to improve are appreciated.

The Real Inferno on