As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Learn me somethin' about Playstation Move

TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
edited December 2010 in Games and Technology
I did a couple of searches and can't find any threads on move, so I figured I'd make a new one. Long story short, I'm interested in buying the $99 move bundle with sports champions. My only problem is that Wii sports didn't exactly thrill me, so I'd like another game to go along with it. Looking at lists of move-enabled games, it's hard to tell exactly what is out, what is being patched "in the future" and what is coming much later on. I'd prefer to grab a shooting game, as that's the entire reason I want the move in the first place, but I dunno if any such games exist. I see one literally called "the shoot" but it seems like it's more akin to Lethal Enforcers than, say, Socom.

Does MAG have move support? And for that matter, is MAG even worth playing? How about RE5, did that patch ever drop?

TheSonicRetard on

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm pretty sure RE5 is Move-enabled now.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure RE5 is Move-enabled now.

how about mag? All I can find online are reports that the update will come "in about a month" that were dated in september.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Rising Storm is a port of the arcade game, in the Time Crisis style. It also includes Time Crisis 4.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    PrincepeachPrincepeach Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    MAG support has been patched in. I've heard a lot of talk that it gives a (slight) edge, but I haven't been able to verify. I don't play MAG and my brother refuses to use the Move. *shrug*

RE 5 has been patched, Heavy Rain has been patched, Pain, of all things, has been patched.

The Shoot is pretty crappy from the demo, but The Fight (great names) seems pretty promising.

Also don't underestimate Sports Champions. I thought it was pretty whatever at first, but I got really into it. It's amazing what a difference accuracy makes.

Princepeach on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    well I took the plunge and got the move bundle. Sports Champions is pretty boring IMO, but MAG is a hell of a lot of fun. I agree that the move gives you an advantage, I tried playing with the DS3 a bit, and then switched to the move, and holy hell you have so much more control. Maybe it's just because I'm starting out and thus playing against other newbies, but I definitely felt like i had a big advantage. It basically feels like you're aiming down your sites all the time.

However, was this all worth the $130 I spent? So far, not really. But I really bought the move for future games, namely Socom, so we'll see how this investment pans out.

one thing that sucks about the move, however - the button placement. Holy fuck the buttons are gay. The A button or whatever is well placed, and the trigger is fucking awesome (it's way better than the wii's trigger) but the actual buttons are terrible. The controller is big so you have to shuffle your thumb around the thing to feel for these tiny buttons at the corners of the A button. It feels hard to hit any given button at a glance. I guess I never realized how good the d-pad on the wii felt.

I don't have a sub controller, so I'm playing with a DS3 in my left hand, and it feels really bad. I might pick up a sub controller tomorrow.

EDIT: Oh, and I can't really go without bitching about the back and select buttons on the move. Those are, bar none, the worst button placements I've ever seen. Is there any way to reach them easily?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Has the non-gold version of Resident Evil 5 been patched?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Has the non-gold version of Resident Evil 5 been patched?

No, and it never will

Capcom wants you to buy the more expensive version that's still on store shelves, you see

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well jeeze, I looked up at the clock and it's 6 in the goddamn morning. I've been playing MAG all day and night. It has completely sold me on the playstation move. This game is a LOT of fun, and I think the reason why it's hooked me is almost entirely due to the controls. The Conduit on the Wii was pretty fun, but it's bare bones online was so off putting, plus the fact that none of my friends could play me. Coming from the Conduit to MAG is like night and day - online seems robust, and me and my buddy from LA played for like 4 hours until he had to go to bed. By contrast, Modern Warfare 2 failed to hook me for even a day.

I pretty much love the wiimote and move for FPS. It feels so freaking good. I cannot wait for Socom now, and the thought of Uncharted 3 online with these kind of controls has me salivating. Midway through the night, I wound up running to walmart and buying a naviation controller, and it's a GIANT improvement over using the DS3 in my left hand. In fact, the navigation controller in general feels great, even better than the wiimote nunchuck IMO. I wish I could play normal PS3 games with the move+nav combo, mainly because the thumbstick is finally, FINALLY in the right spot.

I plan on getting Kinect eventually, but I can't help but think it won't provide a shooting experience nearly as great as this. I'd love to be proven wrong, but unless they let you hold a 360 pad in one hand and make a gun shape in the other, I just can't see it working. The wii laid a solid foundation, and with MAG, the move has expanded that foundation in all the ways I hoped.

EDIT: That said, I'm still a little disappointed in my purchase at the moment, not because I'm not enjoying the move, but rather because the majority of it's library right now is NOT what I'm looking for. The only move games which appeal to me are Heavy Rain (which I plan on playing again just because of Move), MAG, and RE5 (which I anticipate will be just as great as RE4 Wii). The rest of the library is garbage IMO.

I can't wait for Socom though. A new Siphon Filter would be tits, too.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Only reason why I would want move is for RE5 and time crisis. Actually I plan on getting move sometime this year entirely because of time crisis.

And also to totally pimp out with this.

sony_move_gun.jpg

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Only reason why I would want move is for RE5 and time crisis. Actually I plan on getting move sometime this year entirely because of time crisis.

And also to totally pimp out with this.

sony_move_gun.jpg

A good 70% of my Wii library is arcade style shooting games. I love stuff like Dead Space Extraction and House of the Dead Overkill, but damn I'm dying to try, for lack of a better term, fuller experience games with pointer controls. I.E. deep, online multiplayer FPS games. Which is why MAG is right up my alley, it's giving me exactly what I want. Time Crisis is fun I'm sure, but I'm not looking for that. Nor am I looking for waggle. I'm looking for move-myself-around and point-and-die gameplay, either in first person or 3rd person perspective.

Does the new call of duty offer move support? Because that would rule.

edit: that gun shell is cool, though, but I still prefer the look of the perfect shot. RE:UC with dual perfect shots was pretty fucking fun.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    That's fair enough. I'm looking more for a arcade light gun experience myself, and hope that the move could bring more of that stuff.

I'm also interested to see how the library would shape up, because so far that's the only thing scaring me from getting one.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Speaking of dead space, I plan on getting the DS2 bundle just so I can get the HD remake of Extraction. The base DS2 also works with the move so that's a perk.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    sony_move_gun.jpg

This thing looks hilarious, and I don't know if I could use it seriously.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Quick question - does the Navigation Controller have any sort of motion controls included? I really don't like motion controls in the wii nunchuck, but it could pose problem for any Wii->PS3 ports. The Move + NavCon have 3 more buttons than the wii, but IMO it'd be pretty dumb for them to remove such an often-used feature from the wii's controller.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    You picked the wrong Wii FPS for online. Reflex and WaW almost always have people on when I play them. The conduit just sucks. Full of cheaters too, which for whatever reason almost never play Reflex.

I prefer everything on the Wii Remote+Nunchuck save for the trigger, which as you said is very spiffy on the Move stick.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    You picked the wrong Wii FPS for online. Reflex and WaW almost always have people on when I play them. The conduit just sucks. Full of cheaters too, which for whatever reason almost never play Reflex.

I prefer everything on the Wii Remote+Nunchuck save for the trigger, which as you said is very spiffy on the Move stick.

I have both of those games as well.

Not being able to talk online is a huge buzz kill.

EDIT: Which is actually a big reason why I'm enjoying MAG - because communication is pretty key to victory in these huge battles. It helps that most people I've played with have actually been about the game, instead of shit-talking 12 year olds. It's nice to play and have people actually talking strategy.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, it's real annoying not being able to talk to people in online games. Looks like BLACKOPS is releasing side by side with a wired headset, but what's the point if only two or three people ever use it.

Goldeneye is looking better and better.

I also really enjoyed MAG for the hour or so I played it back at launch.

This is the future for console FPS's though, a really good control scheme and I'm glad Sony did in the end try and copy it. I hope it ends up being successful for them so at least two of the three companies include it standard next gen.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    SDMinionSDMinion Registered User new member
    edited October 2010
    I think we're going to be seeing tons of Move titles real soon, Sony is really plugging it. For example, we're making a PSN version of a PC tactics RPG, and they asked if we'd be willing to use Move as the control device. Seems a little unorthodox, I imagine it would be like playing Final Fantasy Tactics with a Wii-mote. Who knows tho, we may go for it. I'm guessing hitting developers up with "Hey, why not use Move?" is standard practice for new titles right now.

SDMinion on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, it's real annoying not being able to talk to people in online games. Looks like BLACKOPS is releasing side by side with a wired headset, but what's the point if only two or three people ever use it.

This is the future for console FPS's though, a really good control scheme and I'm glad Sony did in the end try and copy it. I hope it ends up being successful for them so at least two of the three companies include it standard next gen.

Yeah I agree. Overall, the pointer controls are the only thing I really liked from the entire wii experiment, and I really hope this becomes standard, because it works really well for just about any game with a gun. The level of precision is nuts, I tried to play MAG today for about 2 hours with a DS3 just to test the difference and the gap between the move and DS3 is wide. I was also terrible with the DS3 :lol:

I really do enjoy FPS on the Wii, don't get me wrong. Like I said, I've played just about every big FPS on the system. But, the online implementation just isn't there on the Wii (and by that I mean all the bells and whistles, i.e. headsets, easy to manage friends lists, actual IRL friends who own the console, etc). I guess the conduit DOES allow for wiispeak, but I'm pretty sure that technology is already dead. Overall, it feels like to get what I consider the standard online experience with the Wii, you have to jump through a lot of hurdles.

But anywho, that gladiator and archery game in Sports Champions. Are they impressive enough to warrant buying another controller? I've already dropped $170 on this thing, including MAG and the NavCon, so another $50 is kinda pricey for me. I'd really like to try a good sword game though. Any star wars light saber games coming out soon? Didn't they advertise one at a recent E3, or am I just misremembering?
    SDMinion wrote: »
    I think we're going to be seeing tons of Move titles real soon, Sony is really plugging it. For example, we're making a PSN version of a PC tactics RPG, and they asked if we'd be willing to use Move as the control device. Seems a little unorthodox, I imagine it would be like playing Final Fantasy Tactics with a Wii-mote. Who knows tho, we may go for it. I'm guessing hitting developers up with "Hey, why not use Move?" is standard practice for new titles right now.

Oh neat, what's the name of the title you're developing? I think an RTS game would be incredible with this kind of controller - I played World in Conflict from my couch with a wireless keyboard in my lap, and a wiimote in my hand for the mouse, and it was a fucking TON of fun.

I get the feeling that the PS Move will become like the Dual Shock from the original Playstation era. A widely supported accessory that becomes a defacto option in just about any game released from here on out, with it becoming standard next generation. From a design standpoint, the DS3 is obviously still the standard controller, but anything the DS3 can do, the Move can do and vice versa, with varying degrees of difficulty. At the minimum, I expect every game from now on with a gun to support the Move. And I'm a-ok with that.

Although, I did read an interview with Naughty Dog which said their next game won't have move support, which will frustrate the fuck out of me if their next game is Uncharted 3. Uncharted with the Move would be incredible.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Yeah I agree. Overall, the pointer controls are the only thing I really liked from the entire wii experiment, and I really hope this becomes standard, because it works really well for just about any game with a gun. The level of precision is nuts, I tried to play MAG today for about 2 hours with a DS3 just to test the difference and the gap between the move and DS3 is wide. I was also terrible with the DS3 :lol:

I really do enjoy FPS on the Wii, don't get me wrong. Like I said, I've played just about every big FPS on the system. But, the online implementation just isn't there on the Wii (and by that I mean all the bells and whistles, i.e. headsets, easy to manage friends lists, actual IRL friends who own the console, etc). I guess the conduit DOES allow for wiispeak, but I'm pretty sure that technology is already dead. Overall, it feels like to get what I consider the standard online experience with the Wii, you have to jump through a lot of hurdles.

But anywho, that gladiator and archery game in Sports Champions. Are they impressive enough to warrant buying another controller? I've already dropped $170 on this thing, including MAG and the NavCon, so another $50 is kinda pricey for me. I'd really like to try a good sword game though. Any star wars light saber games coming out soon? Didn't they advertise one at a recent E3, or am I just misremembering?
    SDMinion wrote: »

Oh neat, what's the name of the title you're developing? I think an RTS game would be incredible with this kind of controller - I played World in Conflict from my couch with a wireless keyboard in my lap, and a wiimote in my hand for the mouse, and it was a fucking TON of fun.

I get the feeling that the PS Move will become like the Dual Shock from the original Playstation era. A widely supported accessory that becomes a defacto option in just about any game released from here on out, with it becoming standard next generation. From a design standpoint, the DS3 is obviously still the standard controller, but anything the DS3 can do, the Move can do and vice versa, with varying degrees of difficulty. At the minimum, I expect every game from now on with a gun to support the Move. And I'm a-ok with that.

Although, I did read an interview with Naughty Dog which said their next game won't have move support, which will frustrate the fuck out of me if their next game is Uncharted 3. Uncharted with the Move would be incredible.

This is one of the reasons i'm buying the move for my ps3. I just do not enjoy games aiming with a joypad, you sort of get over it with uncharted because it has always had that tomb raider vibe to it where it's more than just shooting stuff. (the good tomb raider)

Uncharted 3 with the move would be awesome.

But yeah, I made an order today for a bunch of ps3 stuff.. ps move pack, ps eye (for the pc for the directional mic for xbmc), mag, re5, usb hub (this has been bugging me for ages with the ps3 and the two usb ports), the navigation controller and the gun attachment since I don't want to give myself wrist cramp from holding the move controller funny for the shooters.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    this thread is reminding me i still have to beat the gold table tennis cup

also play heaps more bocce

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The level of precision is nuts, I tried to play MAG today for about 2 hours with a DS3 just to test the difference and the gap between the move and DS3 is wide. I was also terrible with the DS3 :lol:

This may be the point that sells the Move, if only Sony would realize it.

Consider what was the "killer ap" for the 360: Halo. If you wanted to play Halo (and who didn't?) you bought a 360.

If what I'm hearing is correct, then the Move allows for much better precision in control of a standard console FPS. That's a big deal.

Remember, there are a lot of game players (me included) that grew up with FPS on computers. WASD and mouselook are hard wired into my tired old brain. Hand me a console controller and you might as well make my only weapon a stick of dynamite with no fuse. It would save time. I'm so bad with a controller that I actually make the game -less- fun for others.

Allowing me to actually play a FPS on a console, even if it requires a $100 investment to do so, will be amazing!!

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    i think pushing it with inclusion in big-hitters like mag, socom and killzone 3 is realizing it

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Tee-hee, MAG and Killzone being big hitters.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    as opposed to cabela's dangerous hunts 2011? yeah. they're big hitters.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Looks like a good thread to post this, unless there's another Move thread I missed.

I was just at Target and received a coupon for 20 (twenty!) dollars off the Move bundle. I'm actually considering buying this, but I already have the Eye camera. And I don't really want the sports game. I really just want the actual Move controller.

Keep an eye out for that coupon. Or, if there's someone that wants to purchase or trade for a camera and game...?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png