As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for a cheap semi-gaming laptop

Shoe-EaterShoe-Eater Registered User regular
My little brother is looking for a new laptop, he wants to keep it under $800.

he does some occasional gaming? but doesn't need to run Crysis or anything. mostly plays Minecraft. he did mention BLACK OPS & ASSASSINS CREED, but i think that might be pushing it for an $800 laptop.

I'm not up to date on laptops, is it even possible to get a gaming laptop for under $800?

We'd be buying in Canada.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Shoe-Eater on

• Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Alienware's M11x packs quite a punch, and the cheapest version is currently $200 off, putting it at $600. I'm told it can run Crysis at medium settings reasonably well. I find it's a nice size (Your mileage may vary, it's 11.5"), weight (It is heavy for its size, but it's not terribly heavy), and the switchable graphics help give it a pretty decent battery life.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ToastlyToastly Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Alienware's M11x packs quite a punch, and the cheapest version is currently $200 off, putting it at $600. I'm told it can run Crysis at medium settings reasonably well. I find it's a nice size (Your mileage may vary, it's 11.5"), weight (It is heavy for its size, but it's not terribly heavy), and the switchable graphics help give it a pretty decent battery life.

That is just a terrible laptop in every respect except it's video card, which is mediocre instead of terrible. That is of course if the $200 discount is still going on, which I couldn't seem to find, but lets look at its specs:
    ----
    Overclockable Intel® Core™2 Duo SU7300 1.3GHz (3MB Cache)
    2GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 800MHz
    160GB HDD SATAII 5,400RPM
    1GB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 335M
    11.6-inch WideHD 1366x768 (720p) WLED

Also DOES NOT HAVE A CD/DVD DRIVE
    Cool features: two color choices for case, color choice for keyboard, can get your name engraved into it

Now lets look at this Acer laptop at $680:
    ----
    AMD Phenom II Triple-Core N850(2.2GHz)
    4GB Memory DDR3 1066
    500GB HDD @ 5400rpm
    DVD Super Multi
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
    17.3"

----

Alright, lets compare:
    +WAY better processor - higher clock speed and 3 cores rather than two
    +Twice as much RAM at a higher speed
    +Way bigger Harddrive at same speed
    +A CD DRIVE!
    +Considerably better Graphics card
    +Much larger (Don't know if this is a plus or minus, maybe he wants a small screen)
    +Because of size is also going to be heavier (bad)

In review: for $80 more you getter something that has better hardware in every respect, especially the CPU, GPU and RAM which is what is vital for gaming. That 4gb of RAM instead of 2gb WILL be noticeable, especially in Minecraft, and the other two if he's playing a modern game at medium settings. Starcraft II or Battlefield Bad Company 2 will both be playable on both laptops, but you're probably going to have a difference of between 15 to 25 FPS better on the larger laptop. That is however, it's major drawback. I dunno if you've handled a 17.3 laptop recently, but those babies are big. Big and heavy.

So lets look smaller. I give you this Toshiba at $699, it has the same stats, except for a slightly better CPU, and smaller size, all for $20 more.:
    ----
    Intel Core i3 370M(2.40GHz)
    4GB Memory DDR3 1066
    500GB HDD 5400rpm
    DVD Super Multi
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650
    15.6"

----

EVEN SMALLER YOU DEMAND? Well I've got bad news in that case, which is your going to have to seriously downgrade your GPU unless your willing to pay round $1000.
    This MSI laptop fits the bill at 14" and $699:
    ----
    Intel Core i3 380M(2.53GHz)
    4GB Memory
    500GB HDD
    DVD Super Multi
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 325M
    14"

At the 14" range, that alienware begins to look appealing, but when I went to the Dell site, I couldn't find the aforementioned $200 discount. Which makes it an $800 pile of pretty overpriced parts.

Toastly on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Get whatever doesn't have Optimus. Optimus is fucking terrible.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    EasilyAmusedEasilyAmused Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The Alienware can be obtained with an i5 or i7 processor, but then you are looking at $1000-1300 CAD.

Some quick looking for what you might be able to find in Canada at the budget.

HP DV6
    i7, 6GB ram, 500GB hard drive, Radeon 5650, 15.6"

Looks to be the best bang for the buck at the moment, not available online so you might luck out and find it in a local store. I'm not the biggest fan of HP, but that generally stems from ancient history of the company. I couldn't tell you either way what build quality and reliability are like today.

ASUS K72

i3, Radeon 5470, 640GB hard drive, 4GB ram, 17"

slightly over your budget, not quite as powerful but I really like the ASUS build quality, and in general warranty service in Canada has been pretty fast, usually around a week turn around.

Another HP DV6

Another HP, AMD Phenom triple core, 4GB ram, 500GB hard drive, Radeon 5470, 15.6", little bit cheaper

Acer Aspire

i5, Radeon 5470, 5GB Ram, 500GB hard drive, 13.3"

ASUS K52

i3, Radeon 5470, 4GB ram, 640GB hard drive, 15"

The 5650 is going to perform quite a bit better than the 5470, especially for anything newer, especially Black Ops and Assassin's Creed.

If you can increase the budget by a couple of hundred, there are quite a bit more options that will open up. Best of luck in your search.

EasilyAmused on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    You can probably get a netbook and some desktop upgrades for the same money as a gaming notebook. And whereas low-end gaming notebooks tend to be flimsy, rapidly depreciating piles of cheap plastic with neon-coloured LEDs all over them, a netbook is something you can actually use in public without wanting to hide your face in shame.

Azio on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Toastly wrote: »
    At the 14" range, that alienware begins to look appealing, but when I went to the Dell site, I couldn't find the aforementioned $200 discount. Which makes it an $800 pile of pretty overpriced parts.
    Maybe you should be comparing it to laptops of similar size then? I can't find anything even close to it in the 11.5" area. Also, I'm guessing the $200 discount was part of this 12 days of deals sale Dell is doing, so it probably ended.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What I've come to find about laptops:

1) Good build quality, mobility
    2) Powerful
    3) Cheap

Pick two.

At 800 dollars, you can get something decently powerful, as has already been listed. But, at least to my standards, it will probably be lacking in number one. PERSONALLY: I would go with the Alienware M11x, and bump up the budget a bit. From what I've heard, they're solid, very mobile laptops, that can be made surprisingly powerful. I'd personally rather spend more, and have the thing for 3-5 years, instead of buying something cheap and having to replace it in half that time because it's built like crap.

floobie on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    chasm wrote: »
    Get whatever doesn't have Optimus. Optimus is fucking terrible.
    Huh, the only problem I've run into with Optimus is that the gamma gets reset on the display when it switches.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    Can't really beat 600 for an alienware

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    EliteLamer wrote: »
    Turns out the sale was only a single day apparently. It's back at $800. But if you don't mind used or refurbished, you'd likely be able to get back around $600.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    EliteLamer wrote: »
    Turns out the sale was only a single day apparently. It's back at $800. But if you don't mind used or refurbished, you'd likely be able to get back around $600.

Isn't some of the Asus republic of gamers refurbs in the 800 dollar range ?

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I bought a very expensive alienware once and it was built like crap. Avoid IMO.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    HedwirezHedwirez Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't want to hijack the thread but I am looking for a similar laptop. i thought this Sony VAIO looked good:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/241949

Same graphics cards as some of the ones mentioned above but maybe slightly slower? I want something that will run WoW on fairly high settings (and maybe plays Starcraft II / Civ 5). Beyond that, I liked the build quality of the VAIO.

Anyone have any advice? Unfortunately us British people get totally screwed wehn it comes to paltops for decent prices.

Hedwirez on
  • Options
    floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hedwirez wrote: »
    I don't want to hijack the thread but I am looking for a similar laptop. i thought this Sony VAIO looked good:

Same graphics cards as some of the ones mentioned above but maybe slightly slower? I want something that will run WoW on fairly high settings (and maybe plays Starcraft II / Civ 5). Beyond that, I liked the build quality of the VAIO.

Anyone have any advice? Unfortunately us British people get totally screwed wehn it comes to paltops for decent prices.

I really don't see why that wouldn't handle what you're after. As I understand it, WOW is more cpu intensive than anything, so I'm sure the gpu is more than enough for that. You probably won't be running SC2 maxed out, but it should still look pretty good and be quite playable. And I've generally heard good things about Sony's build quality.

floobie on
  • Options
    DekabalDekabal Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Anyone have any experience with the Asus bamboo series laptops. I was looking at that on the Alienware m11x and they seem fairly comprable minus the processing power (I figure thats the trade-off to mobility)?

Dekabal on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    My own personal experience with the VAIO line has been anything but good build quality. I had one, when I adjusted the displays position, the image would cut out, and the slightest nudge would cause the hard drive o freak out and bluescreen me. I generally don't hear good things about VAIO.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I am currently using one of the new xps laptops and it does everything I want it to do fantastically. I'm playing TF2, wow, borderlands, SCII, crysis on it all on medium to high settings (game depending) and rarely ever dipping below 30 fps on any of them even when the action gets nuts

This one starts at 750

also the speakers are the best laptop speakers I have ever heard.

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    DanWeinoDanWeino Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My vaio broke 1 month outside the warranty. Avoid them. First the battery charge wouldnt hold. Then the charge port was loose and wouldn't charge unless in a specific position (which was impossible to hold) then the disc drive started playing up. Then blue screens erry day. :(

DanWeino on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hedwirez wrote: »

I bought my Vaio from Argos for 800€ a few months back, and it's basically the upgraded version of yours with a better CPU, blue ray, better display and so forth. I'd look around some more. Even though we get shafted on prices, that price seems a bit much for an i3 with a HD5470. Like I said, I bought mine a few months ago, for roughly the same price. Wait till after Christmas in any case. Mid-january should see a decent drop in prices.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Let me step in and recommend this baby:

Dell XPS-14

Anandtech reviewed its 15" bigger brother very favourably, and I think I'm going to pick one up, configured at about $1500. But this one is MORE than capable for just $899:

* Core i5 460M
    * Gorgeous 14" WLED display (seriously excellent)
    * 4GB DDR3 X 1333MHz
    * 500GB SATA 7200RPM
    * 1024M GT420M
    * 8x CD/DVD Burner

The speakers are lauded above pretty much all other laptop speakers, it performs, it's SEXY, the keyboard is excellent (I'd spring for the $25 extra backlighting option, really makes a difference in dim/dark locations), what more do you want?

Oh.

Right.

Dell.

Dell's customer service is atrocious, right, I understand. It's why they call it "Dell Hell."

But there's a secret - sign up for the site as a small/medium business account. Tell them you're planning on launching a consultancy or whatever if they ask. They don't need to know. The XPS line will disappear from the available laptops. This is not a problem. You just click on "chat" and explain that you want an XPS on your business account. They'll ring you up and process the order for you.

The secret here is that Dell's business customer service kicks ass.

Anyway, that's my recommendation.

Imperfect on