As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Do I need a headphone amp?

AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
So Christmas came early at our house.

I picked out this for myself. It's a pretty awesome TV if you ask me. All the features I wanted, couldn't be happier, etc, etc.

Apparently I was a very good boy this year because Santa also gave me this. If you look closely, you'll notice that there is no headphone port, or RCA left/right audio outs. And theres the rub, I *need* to be able to use my headphones (Sennheiser HD 201s) during certain times of the day. No problem, I thought, because the TV has a dedicated headphone port. So I plugged them in and watched Inception. To put it mildly, the sound was goosing terrible. There was absolutely no bass at all and severe crackling during explosions. I'm no audiophile, but I've been using the HD201's for going on 2 years now and I know they sound better than that.

My question is, will a headphone amp solve that problem? Or are they strictly for volume control? I'm currently looking at this, but I have no idea if they are what I need. They also happen to be at the upper limit of my budget, so $200 amps are way out of the question.

Aiserou on

• Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    heres what i would do:

Try a different set of headphones in the headphone port. If the port makes any headphones sound bad then something is probably faulty or not connected up properly.

Try your headphones connected up to something else to make sure they haven't broken.

If your headphones sound fine connected up to other sources, and other headphones sound good connected to the tv, then a headphone amp is probably what you want.

If money is an issue you can build a simple headphone amp very cheaply.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thanks for the advice.

I did some poking around in the tv's options tonight and turned off the "InfiniteSound" feature. That fixed most of the problem. The distortion at high volumes is gone and the bass is better but the TV is obviously limiting how much bass it outputs when it detects headphones.

Aiserou on