As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's the end of the world(but I feel fine)

Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
A virus has emerged and devastated the world. Government has collapsed, the leaders wiped out. Populations have been decimated.

You have survived. After ruing your fate you construct a bonfire that draws other survivors to your location. Survivors are numerous, and you are assumed leader. What happens next is your decision....

How do you lead? A direct democracy maybe? A cabinet of advisers? Or as a despot?

Would you attempt to contact other survivor groups? Would you make them join your burgeoning civilisation by force, diplomacy, or just leave them be.

Someone has committed a crime. Would you reinstate corporal punishment and capital punishment as a necessity, or attempt to keep the old rules and laws in place?

No-one wants to go down the coal mine. Would you be willing to enslave a nearby group, enslave your own citizens for a necessity?

I thought the scenario would be an interesting matter of debate, as you have control of a blank slate to impose your own ideas of how the world should run, or at least the most sensible ideas in such a situation.

Anarchy Rules! on

• Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd get everybody to work on building a settlement, and then fortifying it. Perhaps starting out with pallisade orvallum type defenses, and eventually creating a more permanent rampart or defensive wall . The governmental system would likely be a senate, with the head of each household representing the needs of their family. Although as our settlement grows, the senate will likely change from elder representatives to elected representatives.

As long as other survivors were willing to put in the hard yards to help build and improve the settlement, they'd be welcome. Crime would be punished depending on the severity of the crime. Allotments of time working in coal mines, or any other kind of mine we dig, in relevance to the severity of the crime committed. Steal someone's cow? A month or two in the mine. Murder someone? It'll be a fucking long time before you see daylight again, and you'll be doing the shittiest job down there.

Dram on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2011
    I would establish a small settlement in some rural farm state. Maybe Kansas. I'd probably opt for a matriarchy, maybe put a 100 year old black lady in charge.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I would establish a small settlement in some rural farm state. Maybe Kansas. I'd probably opt for a matriarchy, maybe put a 100 year old black lady in charge.

Hmm. I think I'd go to Vegas...

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also; all grown men should have beards. It's just not a post apocalyptic world if there's an abundance of shaving supplies.

Dram on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011

Hmm. I think I'd go to Vegas...

I'll start my own Vegas! With Blackjack! And Hookers!

In fact, forget the Vegas and the Blackjack!

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Given the chance, I'd try to create my own Utopia - with me as the undisputed ruler.

and is it weird that sometimes I kind of want to live in a post-apocalyptic world?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

Me too.

Probably me and like three or four other people.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.