As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Awesome Game Store Owners

mmooneybsammooneybsa Registered User new member
edited January 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
For those of us who buy from a person.

The recent comics prompted me to post this, hope it hasn't been done already (I did search some).

I know of 2 very Awesome Game Store Owners, in Virginia. While there are other awesome stores, their owners are not so much, and are very well represented by the recent comics.

One Eyed Jacques
Richmond, VA

Joe knows the business, has excellent customer service, and often better prices than you will find online. He orders a pallet of 'scratch & dent' games monthly and sells them for 1/2 off or better.

The Game Vault
Fredericksburg, VA

Kathy is so good the store is profitable :shock:, and if you don't know how uncommon that is, you need to support your local stores better. Kathy provides 15+ tables to play on, shelves upon shelves of terrain to use at the store, and allowed me to run an Anime club out of her store.

mmooneybsa on

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2011
    I used to frequent a Game Crazy around here, and the owner was a pretty decent guy who did well on the customer service front. But now I just buy from Best Buy or Target or wherever, because it's generally a lot more convenient.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Convenience has definitely trumped most else for me recently too. I used to like shooting the shit with the dudes at the local game store though.

The last time I went in I got the strange scary feeling that I would be like them destined to argue about things that don't matter with people who care too much and smelling horrible for no damn good reason. That's not for me.

Instead I post here!

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I buy from a local game store, because I like what they do, which is provide a space for people to play games, on a regular basis. I wouldn't bother to support a store, just for the sake of it being a brick and mortar store selling games. And I'm sure the fact that it tries to be a hangout for game players, is why the employees there don't(that I've ever heard of) act like dicks in any way.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I used to frequent a Gamestop that was exceptionally well run.

The owner would often consult his customers on what games were the best to put out front, and would give out extra freebie promo's to regulars in exchange for reviews of new games when they came back in, so as to ensure his advertised stock was as appealing as possible to casual and hardcore gamers alike. If a game was screwed up, or defective, or just outright blatantly lying about it's features, he'd go out of his way to make it right for you, too.

He would also give you a heads up if a game wasn't up your alley, and he knew what sort of games you liked (And he made an effort to find out and suggest some any time you showed up, rather then just spouting off a list of new releases coming up and suggesting a pre-order.). His employees really loved the guy too. Apparently he made working as part of a cog in a giant, uncaring machine, fun.

As a result of that guy, I would often buy boxed copies over electronic copies of games, since I knew I was guaranteed good service if I bought from there.

Sadly, that guy moved on to better things, and the store is now populated by over-worked, greasy nerds with a minimum capacity for understanding how to run a business, bring in customers, and actually socialize with them.

The last time I went there, I got into an argument over buying a PS3. The guy working the register "assured" me, that the Xbox was superior, and I should get one of them instead (I already owned one at the time. This did nothing to deter him.).

This was on the month the PS3's were released, mind you. There were well over fifty people behind me waiting in line. This guy would not shut up about how much he hated the PS3 for overly graphic and technical reasons. It took me getting rather threatening to actually get him to shut the hell up and process my order.

They also hate PC games, as most of the stock is kept in the back. That space has been reserved for the usual upcoming FPS's and console games.

The only other Gamestop in the area tends to have employees who put people down for pre-orders without telling them. Bringing this up with the manager there tends to lead to him getting very confrontational with you.

Mostly, I buy electronic copies now.

Ironically, from what I understand, that Gamestop was so wildly successful while he was there because he went against some of the company policies.

It was regularly pulling in way more income then anyone expected, and noone could figure out why. Apparently Gamestop doesn't get the idea of good customer service being important to customers.

Archonex on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    How can he pre-order without your knowing? The next time you visit the store and the game has been released, they'll ask you to pay up or something?

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Brainstorm Comics in Frederick, MD has a great selection of stuff and good prices.

Love that place

Xaquin on
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Archonex wrote: »
    Ironically, from what I understand, that Gamestop was so wildly successful while he was there because he went against some of the company policies.

It was regularly pulling in way more income then anyone expected, and noone could figure out why. Apparently Gamestop doesn't get the idea of good customer service being important to customers.

I'm sure GameStop realizes this, but the benefit of hiring white glove retail talent is likely outweighed by the cost recruiting/retaining quality talent.

The retail employee you remember is about as rare as a unicorn.

Deebaser on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rohan wrote: »
    How can he pre-order without your knowing? The next time you visit the store and the game has been released, they'll ask you to pay up or something?

He may have meant that the employee would add a $5 preorder to a sale without the customer's consent. I had a guy try to do that to me with one of their disc insurance deals. Got half way out the door before I checked the receipt because the total sounded funny.

Bama on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Stores specializing in Magic: the Gathering are notoriously shady. Tournament organizers too.

Critical Hit Games in Iowa City, my local store, is definitely one of the best. Just not having the owner looming over everything, running it shoddily or favoring 'friends' and promoting a great atmosphere.

So yeah, good game stores are awesome.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The guy who ran Omni Hobby and Games here was pretty cool and helpful.

Of course then he moved the store to a new loaction and two months later the city tore up the street for blocks in front of his store making it a giant pain in the ass to get to.

He ended up moving back to the old location after six months and closed for good shortly after that and now there's basically no dedicated hobby/gaming store in the city :(

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Deebaser wrote: »

I'm sure GameStop realizes this, but the benefit of hiring white glove retail talent is likely outweighed by the cost recruiting/retaining quality talent.

I was one of those managers at Gamestop... spent almost 12 years there. I had no problem telling customers what games were good or bad, what would be up their alley and what wouldn't. Hell, some of them are still on my XBL friends list.

One of the times my DM was visiting my store, a customer came in and I talked him out of buying a new game... 25 to Life, I think. Fucking awful game, and Gamestop got behind it in a big way. My DM was unhappy when I talked the customer out of it, but he bought $300 worth, and $100 of that was suggestions I made when he put that shitpile back. Afterwards our conversation went something like this:

DM: You should have let him buy that, you don't know whether he would have liked it or not.
    Me: Actually, I do know, because it's terrible.
    DM: But you don't know all of your customers and their tastes.
    Me: I know that's Brian, that he lives in St. Johnsbury (2.5 hours away), has a 16 year old son on the track team and a 13 year old daughter not playing any sports, and that he comes down to this area every three months to shop. His first stop every trip is here, and that's because he's not just a customer to us.

My DM seriously could not get through his head that we got to know our customers personally and that actually helped our sales. Until he saw our comp numbers after the first year open and realized we were making way more than the company ever could have predicted.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    There's a Play N' Trade in Walpole, MA owned and operated by a kid named Eugene. Eugene rules. I haven't spoken to him in a while but he does his damndest to make sure every customer leaves happy.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Man this thread is making me depressed about those retail/gamestore/work stories threads not being allowed anymore =(.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Brian from GamesDeals is awesome. Cool staff. Good selection. Can't recommend them enough.

They're right beside the Columbia skytrain station for those in the Vancouver area...

Lail on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Games Workshops in North VA (the ones I went to are in Fairfax) are amazing as far as staff go. Especially the Springfield GW. The manager there is a boss. Too bad I don't play 40k any more.
    Also across the plaza from that particular GW is a comic store that I've only ever been to once (the day before I left for Japan), but the guys there are all cool. My friends and I are all really manga guys at heart, but they had the patience to explain to us just how comics work. Universe resets, book value, awesome current series, etc. Sure, the staff are almost intimidatingly neckbeardy, but unlike the Comic Book Guy in the Simpsons, it's a rather friendly and sociable neckbeardiness. They've probably been running the shop for years.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I always wonder what happened to this cool dude.

Presumably he's still in Korea?

(I assume no responsibility if you lose 4 hours reading the entire site)
    In the middle of a Tekken 2 tournament with about 70 contestants someone's father comes up to the Gord.

"My son was eliminated in the first round."

"Well, lots of people were eliminated in the first round."

"Why is he already out?"

"I would take a guess and say about 35 people were eliminated, and that would be half the people who entered. It's an elimination ladder. In the end there can be only one."

"I want him to be put back in!"

"And why would I do that? I put him in, I have to put everyone back in."

"So?"

"Then it's hardly a tournament."

"This isn't a fair tournament."

"Do you even understand the concept of a tournament?"

And the winner of the tournament won the controllers that were opened for the tournament (worth $80), and $20 in cash. Second place was a can of coke and an autographed picture of Gord. Third place was $20.

The Gord likes to remind people that second place is just the first loser.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh god, the Gord. So, so great.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »

I was one of those managers at Gamestop... spent almost 12 years there. I had no problem telling customers what games were good or bad, what would be up their alley and what wouldn't. Hell, some of them are still on my XBL friends list.

One of the times my DM was visiting my store, a customer came in and I talked him out of buying a new game... 25 to Life, I think. Fucking awful game, and Gamestop got behind it in a big way. My DM was unhappy when I talked the customer out of it, but he bought $300 worth, and $100 of that was suggestions I made when he put that shitpile back. Afterwards our conversation went something like this:

DM: You should have let him buy that, you don't know whether he would have liked it or not.
    Me: Actually, I do know, because it's terrible.
    DM: But you don't know all of your customers and their tastes.
    Me: I know that's Brian, that he lives in St. Johnsbury (2.5 hours away), has a 16 year old son on the track team and a 13 year old daughter not playing any sports, and that he comes down to this area every three months to shop. His first stop every trip is here, and that's because he's not just a customer to us.

My DM seriously could not get through his head that we got to know our customers personally and that actually helped our sales. Until he saw our comp numbers after the first year open and realized we were making way more than the company ever could have predicted.

Gamestop DMs, at least in my NY/NJ region, were dumb as posts. They were really fucking stupid and terrible and my manager was openly hostile to them all. He was a 50+ year old ex-cop, too, which made it even more awesome. Those squirts would come in and try to bully him into affecting THIS change or THAT change and he said "no" all the time and they never managed to force his hand, somehow.

Sorry, I should say "EB DMs" - I worked at an Electronics Boutique before they merged with Gamestop.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    There's only one small locally owned "game store" I know of where I live, and it's run by two really hardcore basement ogres who are just assholes, who think unless your some sort of all knowing video game guru, that games aren't "for you".

There is however a comic book store, that also deals in D&D books and card games (Magic type card games) and a little bit in miniatures, and they seem like pretty cool guys, too bad I'm not into any of that stuff any more. :\ But every once in awhile I go in and buy a comic book, just to support them. Not that it really helps.. I mean it's 3 bucks every 6 to 9 months.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.