As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Car Troubles

JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid?Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
edited February 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a truck in my driveway that will not start. Last week, it died when the battery died. No electronics came on. So a new battery was installed. This time, when I put the key in and turn it, I hear a click and then a whine sound. I think the whine sound is the fuel injectors trying to work. The truck had a full tank of gas the last time it was driven. To me, it sounds like there's something wrong with the starter but I'm not sure. So any gear heads out there know what this indicates?

It's a 2005 Chevy Equinox if that helps.

JustinSane07 on

• Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Sounds to me that the starter is spinning without engaging the flywheel. May be a simple as replacing the solenoid that pushes the starter gear out.

wmelon on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, with everything that I'm reading, I'm starting to think it's the solenoid too. But I can't find a diagram anywhere that shows me where the solenoid is on an Equinox so I can bypass it and try starting the truck that way.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo8wikBVeCU&feature=channel

That may help you justin, at least find it anyways.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yeah unfortunately I can't find anything in the truck that looks like that. I just went outside and took some pictures though. Maybe someone can help me identify it. I also checked the oil level, and that was fine.
    chevyengine01.jpg
    chevyengine02.jpg
    chevyengine03.jpg
    chevyengine04.jpg
    chevyengine05.jpg

Spoilered cuz they're 1024x768 pictures.

I'm thinking the solenoid is the black thing in front of the engine cover. The start must be the circular thing behind the engine cover.

As an aside, my girlfriend called one mechanic friend who thinks it's the fuel pump, and another who thinks it's the alternator. I think they're both stupid.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I can almost gauruntee that it'll be under the car. most likely on the driver's side looking at those pictures.

This page has some instructions for an impala, which uses a very similar 3.4L block.

wmelon on
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, on my cars at least the starter has always been on the underside of the engine.

Daenris on
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Providing you have a 3.4 Equinox, everyone here is pretty well correct. Starter on lower driver side, "replaceable" solenoid (if you know what you're doing and can find a solenoid these days), etc. One thing you could try is the old "rap on the end of the starter with a hammer" trick to see if you can get the appendage to engage. If this works, then you know for sure it's the solenoid

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Spudge wrote: »
    Providing you have a 3.4 Equinox, everyone here is pretty well correct. Starter on lower driver side, "replaceable" solenoid (if you know what you're doing and can find a solenoid these days), etc. One thing you could try is the old "rap on the end of the starter with a hammer" trick to see if you can get the appendage to engage. If this works, then you know for sure it's the solenoid

Alternatively, once you locate it just disconnect the starter and take it to an Autozone where they can hook it up to a testing machine for you.

Daenris on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Spudge wrote: »

Is it cold? When a starter solenoid is on it's way out, cold weather can make them stick.

Spudge has the right of it though, make sure the car is in neutral/park, with your foot on the brakes and that park brake on. Hit the key, and have someone give the starter housing a good whack with a hammer.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    chevyengine05.jpg

Ha ha, you melted your fuse box cover, because when you took it off while the engine was hot to check a relay/change a fuse, you rested it on the top of the engine and it fell down onto the exhaust...

You really, really ought to get a new one, dirt and water are enemies of electrical systems. A new cover now is about 1/10th the cost of a whole new fuse box later.
    I'm thinking the solenoid is the black thing in front of the engine cover. The start must be the circular thing behind the engine cover.

Nope. The black thing if front of the engine cover is the EGR solenoid. Nothing to do with the starter, it's for mixing some exhaust gases into the inlet manifold to burn off any unburnt hydrocarbons from your exhaust. The circular thing behind the engine cover is the alternator. It's what provides the electrical current to run your car, and top-up the battery after starting.

EDIT: Also, clean all the leaf litter off your car. It's bad, especially in your vents, because it traps moisture, and then you end up with that horrible smell from your air-con, or maybe even legionnaires disease!

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    bowen wrote: »

I have never seen that in my life. English cars, Australian cars, Japanese cars, Korean cars, Swedish cars, French cars, German cars all have the starter solenoid mounted directly onto the starter, or integral with the starter itself.

The fuck is that shit, mounted on the inner guard? A good two feet away from the starter motor itself?

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I thought they were part of the starters too. I have no idea what he's working on.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    bowen wrote: »

I have never seen that in my life. English cars, Australian cars, Japanese cars, Korean cars, Swedish cars, French cars, German cars all have the starter solenoid mounted directly onto the starter, or integral with the starter itself.

The fuck is that shit, mounted on the inner guard? A good two feet away from the starter motor itself?

Some used to be mounted on fenders, firewall, etc. All over the place! Been a while though, I think the last car I saw with a remote solenoid was a Ford Fairmont

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It's my girlfriend's crappy truck. She knows she needs a new fuse box cover.

And yeah, it's been really cold. We're in Mass and it's below freezing for a few days now.

I think I'm gonna have it brought to a local garage that my uncle recommended to me because if the starter is down where you say it is, it's well beyond my amateur capabilities of repair.

JustinSane07 on