Options

Picking a laser printer, because inkjets are a fuckin' scam

PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
So I was looking at printer ink so as to print an essay for class tomorrow and oh what do I find

Forty-six fucking dollars, just for the black ink.

Hello people I am not paying nearly $50 for a cartridge that'll do maybe a few hundred pages when an $80 toner cartridge will do 3000. Fuckers.

So I went and did some research, and my selection is mostly limited to what Best Buy offers in Canada (check www.bestbuy.ca to see what I mean) because I already have credit there (long story, but I assure you it's plenty stupid) and I might spend a lot of money on a printer and would like to do that on a not fuckin' paying right away plan.

Anyhow, I've more or less narrowed it down to the Brother DCP-7020 or the Canon MF4150. They're in the same price range and offer competitive feature sets, and both are generally well liked by the googling I did, so I'll probably pick the one with the cheapest replacement toner cartridge.

BUT BEFORE I PULL THE TRIGGER

Can anyone offer any compelling advice? Like "I had a Brother DCP-7020 and it burnt down my house and ate my garbage so maybe don't get that one"? Or "Just spend $1100 and get a totally sweet colour laser printer you knob"?

I looked at the sub-$500 colour laser options and all of them seem to suck one way or the other. None of them are particularly fast, even in monochrome mode, and none of them offer particularly good looking prints because they're low end. It seems that if I want high accuracy colour prints I'm just better off taking it to a printer if I'm not willing to break into the four digit price range. Can anyone testify to that conclusion?

Anyhow, I also should note that I do like the multifunction aspects of these devices. Scanning mostly, would be really nice. Would I be better though, to buy a dedicated scanner and a single purpose monochrome laser printer? I won't be using the fax capabilities I don't think (pretty damned sure I won't be, actually). If so, what are some good recommendations in that area? I do have limited office space though, so the multi-function has that allure.

IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
Pheezer on

• Options
    RyakStormRyakStorm Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    We have the HP Color LaserJet 2600n.

BestBuy US has them on sale for $305.

While it is not the fastest laser in the world, it is not slow either, the print quality once you get the color spaces dialed in is pretty damn good (My profession is Art Director, I deal with a lot of prints, and the 2600 is good enough for most proofing work IMO, better than most inkjets on the right paper).

Also, a bonus with these is that they have both USB and Network connections, handy if you need to hook it up to a LAN.

The black cartridge is $75, the three colors are around $100 each. It also ships with full toner cartridges, which is a big bonus. As you can see it is cheaper to replace the whole unit than replace the toner. So there is still the over pricing going on with toner, but not even remotely close to the rip off ink prices. and the price per page is significantly less by a major factor, and the toner lasts a long long time, so no more rushing out to buy ink every other week.

I recommend it as a solid purchase, would buy again (and will when the colors run dry) A++++AAA+A!!!! and so on.

EDIT: just check the stats on the printer:
    B/W pages printed = 1527
    Color pages printed = 1082
    Cyan toner is at 61%
    Magenta toner is at 59%
    Yellow toner is at 61%
    Black toner is at 8%

I'll keep replacing the black toner (the one in there is the original) until the colors run out, then get a new one.

RyakStorm on
  • Options
    GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I have a question.

Why are toners and inks so expensive?

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    GertBeef wrote: »
    I have a question.

For the same reason razor blade cartridges are so expensive. Once you have the hardware, just about everyone will continue buying replacements despite being ripoff expensive.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    JWFokker wrote: »
    I have a question.

For the same reason razor blade cartridges are so expensive. Once you have the hardware, just about everyone will continue buying replacements despite being ripoff expensive.

People have told me toner is actually expensive to produce, though.

Dunno how true it is, that's just what a couple of advertising majors have told me.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited May 2007
    As a rule I'd be wary of anything an advertising major told me.

Tube on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I bought a black and white laser just for kicks ($70 for Samsung ML-2510) and it's pretty great. I'm thinking of picking up a cheap inkjet just for color. Color lasers as of now seem like a big rip for anyone but businesses when compared to injets, even factoring in the inky rape.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    As a rule I'd be wary of anything an advertising major told me.

it's a good rule to follow.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I have a question.

Proprietary formats allow monopoly pricing on all toner replacements.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I have a question.

Dunno how true it is, that's just what a couple of advertising majors have told me.

I've heard the same thing from non advertising people, so I think you can believe it. It could be a giant toner conspiracy.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I have a question.

I've heard the same thing from non advertising people, so I think you can believe it. It could be a giant toner conspiracy.

it is.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    So, serendipitously this thread comes along at a time I'm thinking I want to get a color laser printer. The reasoning is that I don't actually print things all that often, but when I do it tends to be for reports and other deals where I want to get good quality.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Toner is pretty much just just finely ground up, low melting point plastic. That's all. It's not expensive to make at all.

JWFokker is correct, it's the same reason razor blades cost so much. And it is, in fact, called exactly that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Razor_and_blades_business_model

The Razor and Blades business model, invented by Gillette himself.
    The razor and blades business model (also called the "bait and hook model" or the "tied products model") works by selling an initial "master" product at a subsidized price, and making the profit on high margin "consumables" that are essential to the use of the master product. The master product may actually be sold at a loss, in order to "capture" the customer into using the consumable product.
    Origins

This business model is credited to King C. Gillette, who used it for his sales of razor handles and disposable razor blades. The model continues to be used in the disposable razor blade business to this day.

Gillette was supposedly motivated by William Painter's Crown Cork bottle cap and his theory that a successful invention was one that needed to be purchased over and over again.[1]

[edit] Oil lamps in China

With a monopoly in the American domestic market, Standard Oil and its owner, John D. Rockefeller, looked to China to expand their business. Representatives of Standard Oil gave away eight million kerosene lamps for free or at greatly reduced prices.

This also resulted in a slogan among American businessmen, "Oil for the lamps of China." In other words, if you give them the lamp, they'll buy the kerosene from you.

Another great example is cellphones (that's why they give away phones... on a two year contract).

That's not to say they're completely swindling you. True to what the inkjet manufacturers say, their ink really isn't just "plain ink" and adheres better, dries faster, has less impurities, has more saturated colours and darker blacks, lasts far longer, and is more waterproof than dollar store ink refills.

But yes, that is exactly the business model in play here.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't know if this is any help or not, but I've got a Kyocera Mita FS-1010. It's rock-solid, and reportedly has one of the lowest TCOs of any low-end printer (which I can't verify, since I'm still on the starter toner, after owning the printer for 2 years).

The replacement, the FS-1030D looks just as solid, and adds duplexing support.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

It's run by a big eastern syndicate, you know.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    LachLach Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I was on the same boat 8 months ago and I bought a black and white laser printer made by Brother. It was $149 at the time. (I've seen it cheaper, and this model was more expensive because it connects to my network) Totally worth the money. Much betetr quality than any inkjet printer I've had before, and I've had at least 5, ranging from $99-$299. I'm still working on the starter toner and I have printed thousands of pages.

Lach on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    We have a bunch of HP LaserJet 1022's at work.
    They are extremely small, and pump out pages. Not color; though, color is for nancys

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    So, serendipitously this thread comes along at a time I'm thinking I want to get a color laser printer. The reasoning is that I don't actually print things all that often, but when I do it tends to be for reports and other deals where I want to get good quality.

I have an Epson Aculaser C1100 which I think is just lovely. I don't have much experience with laser printers, but this one has been great.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I work at a police station and we have a few different color lasers. HP doesn't make a decent low-end color laser. We tried the 2600 and it was total junk. Kept duplicating the top half of the page lightly onto the bottom half. The higher end HP colors though are VERY nice. But that's out of your price range.

I just bought a Oki C3400N for $400 (w/ $100MIR - $300) and it's very nice! Our secretary who prints a lot loves it, and it quite fast (20ppm black, 15ppm color) for home use. Warm up time is pretty short too, so you don't sit and wait for your printouts.

Toner is a bit more expensive for the Oki compared to some of the other brands, but it's still not bad and very good compared to ink.

The nicest thing about color laserjet printing is toner comes in 3 different cartridges, unlike MOST inkjets that make you buy a single cartridge even if you are only out of blue. (cyan)

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I just got a Samsung CLP300 (CLP = Color Laser Printer ... ingenious!) and it rocks pretty hard. Prints faster than anything I've ever used before, image quality is spectacular, it's small, quiet, and even looks pretty nice.

I bought it because I really wanted a printer to replace my ancient Epson Stylus Color II (10 minutes per page in "high quality" mode -- 720dpi ... could not simultaneously do CMY and K, had to switch print heads and feed the paper back through if you wanted all four colors).

Anyhow, the Samsung has been absolutely fantastic. Only downside is that it consumes a fuckton of power when it's running. In fact, it consumes 300 Watts running. It has a power-save mode that kicks in after 20 minutes, so unless you're printing 1 sheet every 19 minutes, it'll be off most of the time. But when it turns on, it makes my lights dim.

If you live with a bunch of people and you're feeling generous you can get the CLP300N, which is the same printer but with an ethernet port. Put it in the living room, plug it in to the network and anybody can connect to it and print. (I'm not that generous, though :P )

EDIT: also I picked this over the comparable HP because the toner cartridges are like $10 cheaper.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    My problems with ink cartridges and toners is the ones you get with the printer itself are only filled up like 15% from my experience. They all end up just being demo inks or something and then right off the bat you have to pay another $60 for more ink!

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    swiftswift Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I know this isnt technically what youre asking for but i went through a similar problem with my inkjet printer, but instead of getting a laser printer i ended up getting this:

cisprintertb0.jpg

Its a Continuous Ink Supply System and each of those tubs holds about 10 cartridges worth of ink and is much, much cheaper as refilling all of the tubs costs around £10. Thats £10 for like 60 cartridges worth of ink.

swift on
    nexx360.png