Options

CPU voltage

Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
Does reducing the voltage for the CPU slightly damage it in any way?

I had to knock it down from 1.375 to 1.200. I mean it worked as normal apart from the temperature being lowered significantly. And I've ran some games too which all ran fine. I fo plan on knocking it back to default once the arctic freezer cooler arrives next week.

Big Classy on

• Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    From what I understand (disclaimer: which may very well be entirely wrong), it shouldn't. I've seen undervolting mentioned on laptop forums as a way to (primarily) reduce temperatures and slightly improve battery life.

My best guess is that it works similar to clock speeds: certain processors can operate at lower voltages, but manufacturers set the whole batch to default to a "safe", known value that works on all of them.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's harmless. In fact, CPU power-saving features (like EIST) routinely lower vcore when idle as part of their normal function.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh great. Still, I'll install the after market hsf once it arrives. Along with the case fans, it'll be ready for when I get the new gpu.

Big Classy on