As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

URGENT: File recovery

SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!!Registered User regular
edited May 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a D-Link DNS-323 network-attached storage device. It has two 500GB SATA drives that I use for storage. I have them set up in a JBOD configuration (combines both disks into one), and formatted ext3. I also have an IP security camera that uses this device for its storage. The NAS device is viewable on the network but is password protected. I have it set up as a network drive on my computer (WinXP Pro).

Data that I was reviewing yesterday has mysteriously disappeared and I need it back. Data before and after the incident I was looking at are untouched. Somehow, ONLY the data I need has vanished. Frantically, I googled for a program that would let me recover the data, but I found nothing. I am 99% confident the data has not been overwritten as I have plenty of storage left.

Please, PAers, I beg of you: help me find a program that will recover the data on a networked, ext3-formatted drive. I would prefer to not pay for this software until I am certain it can recover the data (i.e.- it can see the lost data in a demo version, but I need to buy the software to do the actual recovery). Bonus points if it is free.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

SeñorAmor on

• Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The only thing I've used that's ever been properly successful is a Stellar Phoenix product. They make a Linux ext2/ext3 data recovery product (which runs from a Windows box, I think). I've used their FAT/NTFS tool to recover data off of a drive in exactly the same situation as you. I can't tell if this will help you, but they do have a demo which will show you if data can be recovered.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    FristleFristle Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I have a D-Link DNS-323 network-attached storage device. It has two 500GB SATA drives that I use for storage. I have them set up in a JBOD configuration (combines both disks into one), and formatted ext3. I also have an IP security camera that uses this device for its storage. The NAS device is viewable on the network but is password protected. I have it set up as a network drive on my computer (WinXP Pro).

Data that I was reviewing yesterday has mysteriously disappeared and I need it back. Data before and after the incident I was looking at are untouched. Somehow, ONLY the data I need has vanished. Frantically, I googled for a program that would let me recover the data, but I found nothing. I am 99% confident the data has not been overwritten as I have plenty of storage left.

Please, PAers, I beg of you: help me find a program that will recover the data on a networked, ext3-formatted drive. I would prefer to not pay for this software until I am certain it can recover the data (i.e.- it can see the lost data in a demo version, but I need to buy the software to do the actual recovery). Bonus points if it is free.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

A filesystem maintains an index of where files are located on a device. File deletion is implemented by the filesystem by erasing that file's entry on the index. That's why file "undeletion" works -- the recovery software locates the file by looking across every sector of the disk directly until it finds it, instead of using that "index" the filesystem provides.

Your challenge is, there is no way to run recovery software of this nature across a network as far as I am aware. The disk has to be attached to the machine you run the scan on, so the software can query every sector of the disk.

You might be fucked if you cannot remove the disks from the NAS device and mount the filesystem locally.

Fristle on
    Fristle.jpg