As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WarTech: Senko no Ronde -- Impressions?

BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
I was watching some pretty cool YouTube Vids on this title and I have to say I'm really tempted to buy it.

Is there anyone here that has actually played it? Is there a decent size multiplayer community on Live? I know that the game got practically no marketing here, but it really does look like something that would appeal to me.

Any impressions? The game did horrible at IGN but I trust their reviews as far as I can throw them. Honestly the title looks like one of those quirky Japanese games that some players love, and others just don't "get".

Bamelin on

• Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I would recommend that you rent it before you buy it. There is almost no Live community to speak of. The price has really ruined any chance at mainstream success the game may have had.

For what it's worth, this is one of the games that made me break down and buy an XBox 360. I am a huge fan of Psychic Force and Virtual On, the games this title draws its inspiration from.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    DremDrem Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    There was a thread on this a while ago that didn't fare too well: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=21917

I absolutely love the game. I didn't realize IGN had come out with their review, because I was curious as to how people will review it. 1up gave the game a horrid score (and now IGN as well) and Eurogamer praised it pretty well. However, the bad reviews have confounded me pretty well, as I just never saw their complains arrise in the game at all. The largest problem is indeed the lack of players on Xbox Live. I usually play with friends from other message boards who bought the game, but just going on Live randomly usually nets me 1 or 2 Japanese players only.

I actually don't have time right now to talk about it more until about noon-ish, but I thoroughly found it worth the $60 I spent. But as for all games: if you're unsure about your purchase, rent it first. If you can find it. The lack of publicity has also resulted in the game getting terribly small shipments.

Drem on
    hacksigsig.gif
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I keep finding it for sale, but no one has it to rent.

I would've bought this in a heartbeat for say, $40, like EDF2017.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I thought this was a Live Arcade title?

Oh well. I remember seeing videos of this years ago, back when it was only available in Japanese arcades. There was a thread about it. Cool-looking game, but without other people to play it with I can't imagine it'd be much fun.

Besides, I don't have a 360.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I thought this was a Live Arcade title?

It certainly should have been. I had really high hopes for this game, but the inability to actually aim killed it for me.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    You can't aim? D:

Bamelin on
  • Options
    JinxJinx Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I have a copy of this but have yet to crack it open. A few of my friends have it as well so I think we'll organize some Live games. That may be the best way to go if the online community is very small.

Jinx on
    The Guitar Zeros << My friend's rad band that everyone should <3
    linkstick.gif
  • Options
    The Burnin8orThe Burnin8or Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Bamelin wrote: »
    You can't aim? D:

You can't lock on. You can shoot your weapons in the general direction of the enemy, but it's more of a spray and pray technique. Fortunately, many of the secondary weapons are either seeking, or engulf a large area, so it makes up for it a little bit. It works better than it sounds, and ultimately, I think it goes along with the whole shmup portion of the gameplay. I enjoyed the game, but I think it needs to be a bit cheaper . . .

The Burnin8or on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    100% bought when it hits the lower price point. 360 games here in the seem to hit £18 - £25 online after a month or so, I'll get this then, because it looks awesome.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    100% bought when it hits the lower price point. 360 games here in the seem to hit £18 - £25 online after a month or so, I'll get this then, because it looks awesome.

You might want to consider this

LewieP on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

You might want to consider this

I hate you.
    I love you.

Heh, seriously, I have some major financial thingies this month so I'm skipping all game purchases, but next month - SO BOUGHT.

Thanks! Thats awesome.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Bamelin wrote: »
    You can't aim? D:

You can't lock on. You can shoot your weapons in the general direction of the enemy, but it's more of a spray and pray technique. Fortunately, many of the secondary weapons are either seeking, or engulf a large area, so it makes up for it a little bit. It works better than it sounds, and ultimately, I think it goes along with the whole shmup portion of the gameplay. I enjoyed the game, but I think it needs to be a bit cheaper . . .

I didn't want a lock on, I wanted to lead my target.

I will say that the bullet hell bosses are pretty cool, even if they do feel a little out of place.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    DremDrem Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Before I begin, let me get some gameplay basics out of the way for those who don't know them. You have 3 types of attacks: Primary, Secondary, and Barrage. Every character's attacks are pretty different so it's hard to explain the properties of each one generally. However, Primary attacks generally reload faster than secondary, and Barrages take the same time as the Primary of your character (it feeds from your primary ammo). After a certain amount of shots, you have to wait for your ammo to reload. Primary weapons can instantly be reloaded if you dash, but secondary ammo must be waited on completely. Barrage attacks vary wildly for each character, but generally feature some sort of barrage of bullets covering a large area. Usual fighting game direction inputs combined with the barrage button let you pull off different barrage attacks. You also have the ability to Dash, which is a quick boost in speed. During dash, your attacks change, and you can change your direction as many times you want until the dash ends. You can also end the dash prematurely if needbe, whether to dodge an attack or if you were dashing just to reload the Primary weapon. Each character has 2 versions of themselves, each one with different weapon behavior. The two versions tend to play differently, effectively doubling the roster.

I think to generally say "You can't aim," is a bit exagerrated. It's true, most of the techniques aren't things you aim, but rather spread, but it's not without it's technique. Putting that aside for the moment, there are a good amount of attacks you do aim. Each character's Primary have different accuracies on them, with some being more accurate than others (Mika and Karel are pretty good). Chances are you're never going to hit anyone by standing still and using the primary weapon constantly, though. There is enough distance so that if you begin firing, your opponent will just dash to the side as you keep shooting in that position until the attack finishes. Dash attacking has you aim at your enemy when you fire, and if you dash parallel with your enemy's dash, you'll probably hit the entire time.

You're going to need to learn your enemy's movements to find out when their open if you want to hit with the more "accurate" attacks. Many characters also have Barrage moves that you can aim, such as Sakurako, Lili and Karel. You repeatedly fire and can freely aim your gun around to shoot wherever it is you want. You'll find that it isn't very easy, though, unless you learn to how to use your weapons to trap the enemy.

The majority of the moves are moves that are spread attacks that fill the screen with bullets. However, you have to learn how to use them in combination with each other to hit the enemy. If you can trap the enemy with a good screen of bullets, it becomes significantly easier to hit with "accurate" attack. Of course, it requires different strategies with each character. Mika has some pretty good Barrage attacks and both his Primary and Secondary attacks are both pretty accurate in their aim. So you can launch your Secondary pods to the side, where they will hover in place and fire homing missiles as you run off and fight. Afterwards, try the Full Cirle -> Barrage attack followed by a Dash-Primary or just a nuetral primary, and your opponent will have to dodge or navigate the Barrage attack, but as he's doing that, he'll also have to deal with the homing missiles coming from behind, and at the same time you are pressuring his movements with your primary fire.

The afforementioned aimable Barrage attacks do let you lead your enemy, but you'll find that isn't as effective as you'd hope. The enemy can just dodge in the opposite direction. You also have to keep in mind that when you dash, you're given 1-2 seconds of dash movement, during with you can freely switch into direction you want, or just stop completely. You shoot ahead of them to the left, they'll just dash right. That's why learning how to use these Barrage/Bullet-Hell attacks are more effective than having the ability to freely aim a small stream of bullets.

I mean, it really does share a lot in common with Virtual On gameplay-wise. And all of these spread attacks that everyone has do a good job at hitting the enemy. What you see in the YouTube match videos is exactly what it is: it's fast and furious, and you're probably going to get hit all the time. If you can't hit anyone, you just need practice to learn how to use your attacks.

tl;dr: Aiming attacks are in there, but the ability to lead your fire doesn't help much by itself. The barrage attacks are pretty efficient and work well, you just have learn how to use them. If the match videos look interesting, try and give this game a shot. But since everyone seems pretty divided on it, a rent is suggested if you're unsure.

Drem on
    hacksigsig.gif