As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

shots the owl

the_red_pandathe_red_panda Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Artist's Corner
this is a comic im kinda working on for some people i know. its about a vampiric owl who becomes a major player in a vampiric russian mob syndicate. i was hoping to get some comments before i ink this thing to make it more better.

also better names than "shots" would be helpful

shotstheowl.jpg

i apologize for the terrible scan

im dumb as hell >_>
the_red_panda on

• Options
    EntrYEntrY Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hehe, sounds like a great concept!

EntrY on
    beavotron wrote:
    hang on, i need to go put an adult diaper on before you continue explaining.

Flickr ... Myspace
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The two panels in which the owl chases and eats the bat are not dynamic or exciting at all.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    yea the only panels im really happy with are the first one and the bat.

any suggestions?

the_red_panda on
    im dumb as hell >_>
  • Options
    NovusNovus regular
    edited May 2007
    Maybe try drawing the owl and bat coming toward the viewer rather than away; you also could try some clichéd but effective tricks like drawing in sound effects or having the action break the panels.

The best advice when it comes to design is to draw dozen's of variants and then pick one.

Novus on
    I'm not smart, but thanks to the internet I can pretend.
    wii Number 0648 2052 0203 3154
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Zeromus wrote: »
    The two panels in which the owl chases and eats the bat are not dynamic or exciting at all.

Yeah.

I would suggest that you just make a new page for the "chase". Having the owl say he's hungry, and immediately finding a bat and just plucking it out of the air...is not only boring, but unrealistic. Real birds-of-prey have crazy food battles! Try to work in some dynamic angles...and change the size and shape of the panels according to the "intensity"...for instance, the last panel where he nabs the bat should probably be larger than the other panels, and should have an intense, dynamic feel to it...you should feel the "BAM!" when he actually grabs his food. Here, it's more like a "...~puh~". The little "crunch" sound effect doesn't help. :P

Your art seems pretty good though, despite the fact that you only posted one page. Good work on that! You might be able to thicken the feathers up a bit, though, on his wings and tail. They seem a bit thin.

Only other crit is that the blood pouring off of his wing is way excessive. Not the amount of blood in the puddle - that's fine and reasonable...but if the blood was actually pouring out of his wing like that, he'd probably be dead in a few minutes. Especially for an animal that size - a single drop of blood every second could count as "bleeding heavily"....even for a human being, having a wound where the blood is actually dripping out is usually a pretty substantial injury (ever see that show "Scarred"? I'm reminded of a few episodes :P)...I would think you could even get away with having NO indication of the blood coming off of the wing, and you'd be fine. The wing would still be covered in blood, and the blood in the puddle would still be there, and it would communicate that it's a bad injury. That's still a lot of blood....but more within reason...but pouring out like that?...eh. Seems a bit much.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I like the short panel sequence. It's humorous because bats are associated with vampires, but it is obviously no match for the vampire owl. The owl owns it in seconds flat. It establishes the owl as the badassest. If anything I would only change the panel with the bat so that it looks more vampiric and menacing. The panel after that, rather than having the owl chase the bat, have an extreme close-up of the bat's face, so that he's still flying towards the frame, looking real nasty-pissed-off-hellbent-for-blood. The reader will be seeing things first-person, from the owl's perspective. They will think "Oh snap, Vamprowl is gonna get it now cuz he was just in a fight and he's got an injured wing and this bat means business!" But then, going back to third-person, Shots (the owl's name?) simply snaps it out of the air, paying no more attention to it than if it were a fly. Keep the last panel as it is, but I would suggest changing the "crunch" to "munch". If you weren't going for comedic effect then disregard everything I just wrote.

One more thing. A lot is two words.

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I find this boring to read. Why do I care about a bats feeding habits. Make it more interesting.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    NovusNovus regular
    edited May 2007
    Forbe! wrote: »
    I find this boring to read. Why do I care about a bats feeding habits. Make it more interesting.

What? First of all there's only 3 text boxes; 5-10 seconds tops to read, how could you possibly find this excessive? Secondly where in the comic does it mention the bats feeding habits; it's in two panels then gets eaten. Finally I believe panda is looking for art crits rather than story crits; I like the concept but there really isn't much story to discuss with this - vampire owl is bleeding, it eats a bat. Telling someone to make something more interesting is one of the least helpful things you can say; at least elaborate a little.

I'm not trying to offend here but you're statement makes no sense.

Novus on
    I'm not smart, but thanks to the internet I can pretend.
    wii Number 0648 2052 0203 3154
  • Options
    MuttonChopsMuttonChops Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    here's a comp of what I suggested. Now that I see it in front of me I think the bat should probably appear in the top panel. Perhaps as a silhouette off in the background, coming towards Shots. better for continuity. Also, make the bat ten times more threatening than the photographs I've used.

shots.jpg

MuttonChops on
    muttonchops.png
  • Options
    mr0rangemr0range Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I almost want to see the owl break frame in frame 4 ... possibly.

But then, I'm a bit of a sucker for frame breakage.

The last frame is a slight bit boring. try an new dynamic other than profile (since you already have a very similar profile shot earlier). He blends with the stalagmites you have there, making him blend too much. It actually almost looks like his head is poking out from behind one.

either that or give him a pure black profile, smaller and too the left or something. I dunno, I myself would have made this 2 pages.

OR a closeup of just the beak and wing hanging out of his mouth. crunch .... both ways can conjure different feelings/vibes.

mr0range on
    dvd_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Novus wrote: »

What? First of all there's only 3 text boxes; 5-10 seconds tops to read, how could you possibly find this excessive? Secondly where in the comic does it mention the bats feeding habits; it's in two panels then gets eaten. Finally I believe panda is looking for art crits rather than story crits; I like the concept but there really isn't much story to discuss with this - vampire owl is bleeding, it eats a bat. Telling someone to make something more interesting is one of the least helpful things you can say; at least elaborate a little.

I'm not trying to offend here but you're statement makes no sense.

First of all (LOL), don't talk for panda, you're not him, don't assume what he is looking for, he posted his work here, thus he is receiving critiques, be it on his visual, conceptual or textual art. If you have a problem with this, well, I guess you can just cry about it some more.

Since you seem a little slow, let me make a lengthy explanation of what I meant. I encourage you to read and re-read it.

Regarding the text and it's 'excessive'ness: I never said it was excessive, quit assuming, you seem to have a habit of assuming.
    Generally one calls the visual/textual interpretation of comics 'reading', though it is a false, or perhaps a half-accurate term at best. Using this logic, I READ, not only the textual but visual information the_red_panda is presenting here. Would you feel more comfortable if I used some other term? Possibly one of these: perceive, assess, survey, would those make you feel more comfortable? Sorry, I digress. So given my PERCEPTION of what the_red_panda is trying to communicate to the reader, I gathered the following in several panels:
    1. There was a fight between a hawk and an owl
    2. The owl is bleeding and may die
    3. The owl is hungry.
    4. The owl needs to eat to regain strength.
    5. The owl eats a bat.

This series of events, crammed into so few panels seems redundant. He announces "I need to eat something to regain my strength". What does the following 3 panels show? Why, its the owl pursuing and eating a bat. Sure, I get that its a chase, but the chase seems so forced and hastily given to the reader that it has little impact, it gives no sense of urgency, as I would expect a hungry owl to have. Especially since the first three scenes are so brooding and slow.

Thus, this whole scene feels forced to me, I don't know if the_red_panda intended it to seem fast paced or not, but that is how I feel when I read this. I believe at least the second half should have been lengthened or continued to another page.

There does that satisfy you?

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    EvilKidSteveyEvilKidStevey Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I agree, its personfying an animal in a very uninteresting way.

EvilKidStevey on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    But I do give props to the concept

a vampiric owl who becomes a major player in a vampiric russian mob syndicate

Made my day. Fucking gold.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    benz0rsbenz0rs Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    It's weird how the owl is "about to die" yet has the energy and strength to own a bat in perfect health.

benz0rs on
  • Options
    TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    benz0rs wrote: »
    It's weird how the owl is "about to die" yet has the energy and strength to own a bat in perfect health.
    It's a badass owl

TM2 Rampage on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    i think you guys are right, i need to move the owl/bat fight to another page in order to make it more intresting and dynamic. the last couple of panels do feel a bit rushed.

but i do admit that i am an artist first and a writer second. so im still struggling with the story telling part of it, but im open to any and all advice.

MuttonChops - you found my reference for the bat :)

the_red_panda on
    im dumb as hell >_>
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    i think you guys are right, i need to move the owl/bat fight to another page in order to make it more intresting and dynamic. the last couple of panels do feel a bit rushed.

but i do admit that i am an artist first and a writer second. so im still struggling with the story telling part of it, but im open to any and all advice.

MuttonChops - you found my reference for the bat :)

The story really isn't all that bad. Well. It is kind of strange, and I'm not fond of the concept, but it can definitely work, and it works fairly well here. The problem is getting both the ART and the WRITING to work together. I think as a first draft you did well, but revise, expand and improve what you have done.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    The story really isn't all that bad. Well. It is kind of strange, and I'm not fond of the concept, but it can definitely work, and it works fairly well here. The problem is getting both the ART and the WRITING to work together. I think as a first draft you did well, but revise, expand and improve what you have done.

While this is a good point, I dont think he should really go in with the mindset of Art and Writing, as seperate things, working together. I dont think thats what you meant Forbe, I just want to make sure he understands. Writing a comic is not Art+Writing. Its a whole different beast. The art will have to become part of the writing, and the writing will have to be a part of the art. The overlap here is incredibly significant. Evidence can be found when someone draws a comic with no idea what will happen to the text, and adds it in later- it almost never ever feels right.

Have you read Scott McCloud? If not, go to the library and get Understanding Comics and Making Comics.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    i love Scott McCloud, those are two of my favorite books.

i see what your saying, get the art and text to work together to make an illustrated story. revisions are needed.

the_red_panda on
    im dumb as hell >_>
  • Options
    vascyvascy Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    When I read it, I missed out the text in the bottom left of the first panel.
    (It was too far out of the way, so my eyes missed it when reading the panel...)

So I'd probably move that text so the eye is more likely to catch it at a glance.
    Perhaps turning it into a thought bubble and linking the owl's head and the text via little white fluffy dots...

vascy on
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    i love Scott McCloud, those are two of my favorite books.

i see what your saying, get the art and text to work together to make an illustrated story. revisions are needed.

Damn, beat me to it. Anyways it looks like you might make a great inker. The story and few things that work in that page are enough to get me interested. I agree that the owl needs a new name though. Possibly some sort of archaic Russain name?

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    For some reason I am thinking Ludwig.

Don't know whether its actually a Russian name, but hell it fits in my head. Something about Ludwig the Owl hits my brain's pleasure-bits.

Fletcher on
  • Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Good storyline idea, badly fleshed out.

Johannen on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I think nabbing a mouse or bug or something on foot would be alot more plausable then getting up and chasing down a bat with a busted wing (tiny bat, in small cave, vs bigass owl with a borked wing... my bets are on the bat).

Plus, if he "needs to regain his strength", then he really shouldnt be expending any more. I'd play up the desperity of the situation, and get him to eat some rubbish in order to survive. A dead/rotting fish or something from that pond would work well.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I'm going to second what McGibs is saying here.
    If the owl needs to regain strength, then hunting a bat down should be low on the priority list. There simply isn't enough meat on a bat to justify the energy expense. Especially if the bat is that small (one bite). Unless the bats been around for a while at this point (you alude to a back story) and has been an ongoing annoyance. Then I could imagine Shots taking him down just for some peace.

Some beetles, or grubs or even a spider or two. Still not much in the way of energy gain, but a lot less effort to catch.

Of course, you're not exactly doing a nature documentary here.

see317 on
  • Options
    FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I was thinking the same thing guys, but hell if the owls going to become a vampire I think this is where its going to happen.

VAMPIRE BAT
    shock!
    horror!
    storyline progression!

Fletcher on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    and fletcher wins the prize!

the_red_panda on
    im dumb as hell >_>
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    in that case, its got to be the most anti-climactic way to introduce a major plot device...

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    i dunno if anyone else noticed this, but in the first panel, it looked to me like the owl had somehow miraculously busted a hole in the side of a rock wall to get into this hidden cave. i think it's the way you've drawn jagged rocks around the opening but nowhere else.

maybe i'm just insane, but it was my impression the first few times i looked at this comic, and i had to look at it a few times to really get what was happening.

beavotron on
  • Options
    bread of wonderbread of wonder Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    He is a vampire owl. Vampire owls can do things that normal owls can't, such as: busting through rock walls, opening cans of soup, sucking bloods.

bread of wonder on
    Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    beavotron - alot of that is going to be blacked out when i ink it. to give the cave a sense of darkness...

it will make more sense when i ink it... promise

the_red_panda on
    im dumb as hell >_>
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    McGibs wrote: »
    in that case, its got to be the most anti-climactic way to introduce a major plot device...

I agree completely. If this is the way this owl becomes a vampire, then it needs to be more then just a tiny footnote. I don't have any pictures handy, but think of scenes from a comic book (or a movie of the comic I guess) where the hero gains his powers, like Spider Man or The Hulk.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    thanks for the crits guys, iv rewrote it a little so the fight will happen on the next page. so i can focus on making it more dynamic and intresting.

shotstheowlinked.jpg

**update; the owls name is Ludwig Von Blud, thanks to Fletcher

the_red_panda on
    im dumb as hell >_>
  • Options
    CheebahawkCheebahawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The revision is frackin' nice, i think a non-vampiric owl vs. a vampire bat fight sequence would be pretty long and excellent, so i definitely agree with moving the fight onto a seperate page - maybe have the bat bite Ludwig just before he manages to kill and eat it, hence the vampirism?

Cheebahawk on
    cheeb_sig.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    thats kinda what im thinking. like, as soon as it looks like the fight is over, and ludwig has the bat in his talons, with his last breath and all he'll bite him.

the_red_panda on
    im dumb as hell >_>