Options

PAX East 2011 - How many attendees?

SpiderSimianSpiderSimian Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
Are there official numbers yet? Have not seen any posted anywhere. And I hear all kinds of numbers from 50,000 to 60,000 to even 70,000.

SpiderSimian on

• Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Are there official numbers yet? Have not seen any posted anywhere. And I hear all kinds of numbers from 50,000 to 60,000 to even 70,000.

Wiki said that Joystiq said that Robert Khoo said to Big Download that there were 69,500 people in attendance...

Prime 2010's numbers: 67,600
    East 2010's numbers: 52,290

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited March 2011
    Granted, those are basically fire code capacity numbers. It's not an issue of which PAX is more popular, but which PAX has more space.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The convention center could legitimately hold more people and still meet fire code. The problem is that, the most popular exhibits and panels will still be in the same space. Those rooms have hard fire code limits. So adding an extra 10k-20k people will translate to just longer lines and maybe worst experience for pax goers, especially if they cannot add extra panels or exhibits. Also it will require more enforcers and more event staff along with raising the insurance premium. Pax East and Pax Prime are profitable events, and most people leave happy. It's better that way then trying to squeeze out a few extra bucks and making it a more unpleasant experience.

There are not many other areas where Pax could be held without over-saturating. Maybe a Pax Chicago because it is midwest and has a large population. Pax Austin Maybe, I'm not sure about the Texas gamer population though.

zepherin on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    There won't be another PAX in the US. Two is a pretty hefty feat already. If they expand PAX to a third show, it will most likely occur in the UK or somewhere in Europe.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If Mike and Jerry did 3 PAX conventions a year, I would imagine they would be diluted, and I think show quality would go down.

FireWater on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    FireWater wrote: »
    If Mike and Jerry did 3 PAX conventions a year, I would imagine they would be diluted, and I think show quality would go down.
    It is Khoo that handles the nuts and bolts of it. Mike and Jerry do some prep work and show up. Then run on full for three days and collapse. I think the show quality would only go down if they overlapped populations too much, but I think they could do three have them all be somewhat unique and be profitable.

zepherin on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Also, a considerable amount of logistics is handled by Reed these days. So it's just a matter of running the Reed staff ragged with planning and logistics work.

While I see the possibility of a UK PAX, I don't think we'll see it executed for at least a couple more years, if not longer.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    AprecheApreche Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The vast majority of professional conventions around the world report their attendance figures with a turnstile count. That means if you buy a weekend pass you get counted three times. This is standard practice for conventions such as Comiket, CES, E3, New York Comic-Con, San-Diego Comic-Con, SXSW, Gen Con, and everyone else. If you buy a four day pass to San-Diego Comic-Con, you get counted four times in their officially reported attendance.

However, there are a few conventions out there that do count actual people. Most of them are non-profit anime conventions. Thanks to them we are able to roughly estimate a more realistic attendance figure for all the other conventions, including PAX.

Here are the historical event statistics for Otakon. http://otakon.com/history_stats.asp I know for absolute fact that those numbers are a true count of actual attendees. Every badge is counted exactly once, and they only sell weekend passes. Otakon stopped offering one-day passes years ago. They also do not mail the badges, which sucks, but it means they know how exactly how many badges were picked up. If you pre-register and don't show up, you don't get counted in the attendance.

Otakon is an anime convention held annually in the Baltimore Convention Center. According to Wikipedia the Baltimore Convention Center is 1,225,000 square feet. The BCEC where PAX East took place is only 516,000 square feet. Otakon is perhaps the only event that utilizes every single square foot of the BCC, and it has a true attendance figure of 26,000+. If you counted turnstile, Otakon would be close to 90,000 people. It is much bigger than PAX. It's a madhouse, and it's awesome.

Also consider Anime Boston. Here are their figures. http://www.animeboston.com/about/history/ Anime Boston is held annually in the Hynes in Boston, where the first PAX East was held. It also uses the entire building. Anime Boston's latest attendance figure was 17,236. The first PAX East was, without a doubt, larger than Anime Boston. It pushed the Hynes to the limit. Anime Boston uses the entire building, but much more comfortably than did the first PAX East.

My estimate, based solely on 10+ years of convention experience, is that PAX East is over 20,000, but not by much. PAX East is definitely larger than Prime, but not by much. There was definitely excess space in the BCEC, so PAX East has room to grow. Prime doesn't really have much room without invading more hotel ballrooms.

Summary: PAX is big. Really big. It's definitely the biggest consumer gaming convention there is. Just don't go thinking it's bigger than it is. If you want to get a good idea for the size of a convention like PAX, do a Google Image search for the Rose Bowl stadium. It has a capacity over 90,000. Imagine it being %20-%25 full. That's PAX. It's really big.

Apreche on
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Also, a considerable amount of logistics is handled by Reed these days. So it's just a matter of running the Reed staff ragged with planning and logistics work.

While I see the possibility of a UK PAX, I don't think we'll see it executed for at least a couple more years, if not longer.

I mean look at how long it took them to go from the first PAX Prime to the first PAX East. Doing any more than that right now would be too soon, and the quality of not just PAX East, but the new PAX and PAX Prime, would suffer greatly.

Now, I'll admit, I think having a PAX UK to go to would be awesome, but for me, that's more of a "week off work, $1300 to go, eating ramen and spam for a few months" sort of trip for me.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I beleive khoo has said 69,500 in some interviews.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    ColdguyColdguy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Actually one thing that most people don't realize with that number is that it is a turnstile count and not a person count. The difference in this is simply something many west coast cons prefer to use over a person count because it is a bigger number then in actually. For example Otakon has a person count of roughly 27,000 if they were to go with a turn style count that would be 81,000 people. I have a pet peeve when people say there is about 70,000 people at a place without clarifying this fact due to the reason that there was no where near that many people in one building at one time.

Coldguy on
  • Options
    Mike TooleMike Toole Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm also curious to know if PAX East includes exhbitors, staff, media, and complimentary badges in their attendance count - because shows like Anime Boston and Otakon do not. It's very interesting to see how these fan conventions actually have extremely accurate attendance reporting.

When I see a turnstile count of 69,500 for PAX East, I tend to think that the actual attendance number is somewhere between one third and one half - so IMO, the guesses of 25-30k seem fair.

I'm pretty sure that PAX East and Anime Boston were dead even in terms of actual attendance last year - AB was a comfier fit in the Hynes, but they also utilized most of the space in the Sheraton, and their greater diversity of programming meant fewer massive lines in the hallways during the day.

Anyway, a ton of people were at PAX East, enough to fill just about the entire lower bowl of Gillette Stadium. That's pretty damn amazing!

Mike Toole on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    attendance reporting is really easy. We printed up 69,500 badges, and we sold them all. That is the attendance rate. Press and exhibitor badges may or may not count, but they were not half the attendees. And exhibitors pay way more than we did. Press do not, but they can cherry pick media folks. Media represents less than 1k and the exhibitors were closer to the 7-10k range. A healthy chunk mind you but not as huge as your alluding.

Still for comparison purposes if we are comparing this to other pax then we use the same scale for continuity sake. If we compare this to otakon then you may have to adjust one up or down.

zepherin on
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    zepherin wrote: »
    attendance reporting is really easy. We printed up 69,500 badges, and we sold them all. That is the attendance rate. Press and exhibitor badges may or may not count, but they were not half the attendees. And exhibitors pay way more than we did. Press do not, but they can cherry pick media folks. Media represents less than 1k and the exhibitors were closer to the 7-10k range. A healthy chunk mind you but not as huge as your alluding.

Still for comparison purposes if we are comparing this to other pax then we use the same scale for continuity sake. If we compare this to otakon then you may have to adjust one up or down.

This, pretty much.

I'd go with the number of passes for an attendance number, because the press, exhibitors, speakers, and VIPs will account for anyone who buys a pass and doesn't resell it/can't attend.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

This, pretty much.

I'd go with the number of passes for an attendance number, because the press, exhibitors, speakers, and VIPs will account for anyone who buys a pass and doesn't resell it/can't attend.

No, not this. There were not 69,500 badges. The BCEC could only fit 24,000 people per day and a majority of those were on 3-day badges, meaning that only counts as one person. The ACTUAL attendance is somewhere closer to 30,000 unique people throughout the weekend.

Gundabad on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Gundabad wrote: »

This, pretty much.

No, not this. There were not 69,500 badges. The BCEC could only fit 24,000 people per day and a majority of those were on 3-day badges, meaning that only counts as one person. The ACTUAL attendance is somewhere closer to 30,000 unique people throughout the weekend.
    The BCEC does fit a lot more people and has held more than 24k but looking at BCECs numbers they measure per person per day. The point I was making is that the exhibitors are not going to be half the people there, but they are still going to do pass totals. It is simply the most practical method of counting.

zepherin on
  • Options
    RymRym Producer, GeekNights Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The BCEC does fit a lot more people and has held more than 24k
    No, it doesn't. I reached out to the BCEC directly, and PAX East was the biggest convention they have ever held. Their maximum stated capacity is likely tentative, due to the relative newness of the facility, but it's still currently set at 24,000 people. There could not possibly have been more than 24,000 or so people in that building at any given time, and PAX doesn't sell badges beyond the total simultaneous capacity in a given day. The majority of the badges sold are three-day badges.

It is very safe to say that between 20,000 and 25,000 individual people attended PAX East this year, with no more than 24,000 of them being there on any one given day.

Turnstile counts can be very misleading. It's not PA's or Khoo's fault that the convention industry uses these fairly inflated numbers. But take, for example, a convention I help manage in Connecticut. Our total registrations are something like 7,000 people, most of them for three days (like PAX). If we count attendance the way PAX does, we have between 18,000 and 21,000 people, which is amazingly far, far higher than the maximum capacity of the convention center.

Turnstile works at conventions where they run for many, many days and the majority of the attendees only attend a single day. It breaks down rapidly at weekend fan conventions. MAGFest is a fairly tiny con. But it's four days. If they count turnstile, they basically get to multiply the number of all-con badges sold (most of them) by four to get an inflated attendance number.

No blame, just truth. There were definitely, absolutely, less than 30,000 people at PAX East.

Rym on
  • Options
    AprecheApreche Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rym is exactly right. Think about a convention such as the New York International Auto Show. This year it runs from April 22 through May 1, which is ten whole days. The convention consists of nothing except a very large room full of cars to look at. Imagine if PAX had nothing but the big expensive expo hall booths.

With a convention like that open to the public, almost every single attendee is a single day attendee. Unless you are working the convention, there is no reason to go back. You buy a ticket, you walk around and see every car in a few hours, and you never come back. It's a nice one day outing. Therefore, if they count each person once each day, they actually get a very accurate count of unique persons seeing the show. The attendance figure of the show is ludicrously large, because they are counting people over nine days, but at any one given time, the show is far less crowded than PAX.

Since most conventions are just like the auto show, they all count this same way. Geek conventions are inherently different in that most people buy weekend passes, and there are events and things to do. It's not a day trip to see the expo hall and leave. It's a weekend party. But because of how the industry works, many of these conventions count attendees as per the industry standard where a weekend pass counts per day.

If anyone still doesn't believe it, look back at the Otakon example. It had 27,000 people and completely filled a space three times larger than the BCEC. How can PAX have more than 27,000 people in 1/3 the space? Also, consider this. The BCEC has 516,000 square feet. 516,000 divided by 69,500 is 7.4 square feet per person. Take out a ruler and measure 7.5 square feet. That is how much space you would have to yourself at PAX it would be so crowded, every hallway and room would be constantly and completely packed with only 7.4 feet of personal space per person.

Apreche on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Apreche wrote: »
    The BCEC has 516,000 square feet.

I've seen this said a few times now. Just so you know, the 516k sq ft is only the expo floor space, that doesn't include any of the rest of the center. Just make sure you're comparing apples to apples. I really don't care about the argument at hand, but please make sure your numbers are accurate.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm looking at this some more now... Whoever is saying that the BCC has 3x the space of the BCEC is comparing bad numbers. Wikipedia articles, while nice and convenient, are not necessarily consistent with each other.

The 1200000 sq ft number they got from Wikipedia is TOTAL ENCLOSED SPACE, not usable space or expo space. The BCEC, on the other hand, does not quote a total enclosed space number.

The BCC has 300k sq ft of expo space (they say it on their own website) http://www.bccenter.org/floorplans.php?id=10
    and the wikipedia article quotes it as well:
    300,000 sq ft (25,000 m²). exhibit hall space
    85,000 sq ft (7,900 m²). meeting room space
    32,000 sq ft (3,000 m²). ballroom

The BCEC has:
    500,000+ sq ft of expo space
    160,000+ sq ft of meeting room space
    40,000 sq ft ballroom

Now, Otakon has some space on the 2nd floor of the Hilton that's connected, but I doubt that makes up the entire difference between the two.

So, attendance numbers completely aside, the BCEC is definitively larger than the BCC.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    zerzhul wrote: »
    So, attendance numbers completely aside, the BCEC is definitively larger than the BCC.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the BCC has been nationaly known as the largest convention center in the East Coast, by a long shot. Heck when PAX East was forming that was their pitch to the people at Penny Arcade. The difference is that the BCEC is a more modern building since it was built later then the BCC. However unless you have actually been into the BCC, there is no chance the BCEC is bigger then the BCC, however if the supposed expansion gets off the ground that may change. As of right now as a person that has been to both venues the BCC is indeed bigger then the BCEC.

Coldguy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Coldguy wrote: »
    zerzhul wrote: »

Sorry to burst your bubble but the BCC has been nationaly known as the largest convention center in the East Coast, by a long shot. Heck when PAX East was forming that was their pitch to the people at Penny Arcade. The difference is that the BCEC is a more modern building since it was built later then the BCC. However unless you have actually been into the BCC, there is no chance the BCEC is bigger then the BCC, however if the supposed expansion gets off the ground that may change. As of right now as a person that has been to both venues the BCC is indeed bigger then the BCEC.

It's not a bubble. It's about usable space. I really don't care at a deep level or have any personal investment with either. Just compare apples to apples with actual numbers.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The BCC has very large amounts of "non-used" space that ends up being used by conventions like Otakon. Most of this consists of very large lobby areas, staging rooms, large redundant hallways, balconies, and all of these spaces are filled to the brim with people. If the Otakon turnstile count is around 75,000 (which it is), then those people have to fit somewhere.

There are thousands of people in the lobbies at any given time throughout the convention. They couldn't fit 27,000 people into the convention center at a time if the lobbies weren't included (you need a badge to enter them), but said lobbies aren't counted as convention usable space by most people.

Having been to both centers, the BCC is larger than you'd think.

Rym on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    BCC has been nationaly known as the largest convention center in the East Coast, by a long shot.

Just because I know you aren't looking:
    1,103,538 square feet is the size of expo space in the west building alone of the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando. Maybe FL isn't the east coast... but still, real numbers.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Also, the BCC has an arena next door that seats something like 12,000 people. They run their biggest main event there. That's an order of magnitude more people than could fit into Main Events at any PAX. The BCEC has no equivalent space.

Rym on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hey man no need to be hating, just telling you some expieriences that I have. All in all I still had a great time at the venue and at the end of the day that is really all that matters. Just get a little peeved when people report numbers that mainly are used for car show for geek conventions. As for someone who frequests the city often there was no where near 30,000 people in that building at one time, Rym is right on that one.

Coldguy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hey man no need to be hating, just telling you some expieriences that I have. All in all I still had a great time at the venue and at the end of the day that is really all that matters. Just get a little peeved when people report numbers that mainly are used for car show for geek conventions. As for someone who frequests the city often there was no where near 30,000 people in that building at one time, Rym is right on that one.

No hating involved. Comparing the BCEC's floor space to the BCC's total enclosed building space simply wasn't a valid comparison. Also, saying something like "the BCC is the largest convention center on the east coast" when you could fit 5-6 of the BCC inside the combined space of the OCCC is also not a valid statement (unless it is the case that Orlando is not east coast...).

I probably shouldn't have said "definitively larger" without saying "definitively larger in usable space" since those were the numbers I was quoting.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    ArmyKnifeArmyKnife Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rym wrote: »
    Also, the BCC has an arena next door that seats something like 12,000 people. They run their biggest main event there. That's an order of magnitude more people than could fit into Main Events at any PAX. The BCEC has no equivalent space.

Hey Rym - I think we met at the Tabletop area on Saturday, I had to leave when you guys started playing T&E. Anyways, that's not necessarily true. If you didn't have the partitioning walls up (which are entirely optional) between the food court, expo hall, and tabletop area, that'd definitely be able to fit 12,000 people or more. You just couldn't run an event because it's not arena-style.

ArmyKnife on