As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Replacing Car Radio Faceplate

FrostyAlphaWolfFrostyAlphaWolf Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
My car got broken into a few nights ago, but luckily the only thing they took was the faceplate to my radio. Unfortunately, instead of using the release button to pop it out, they just pulled the whole thing off, including the front panel the face plate snaps into. It looks like everything is fine internally, i.e. no bent metal or anything, but I'm not 100% since I don't know what it looked like before.

I'm wondering if I were to buy a new faceplate, would it still work even though there's nothing to hold on to? I've tried looking for the whole piece I'm missing but had no luck so far, since it's part of the actual head unit.

Here's a cheap picture of what I'm working with, if that helps anyone:
radfp.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
FrostyAlphaWolf on

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm not entirely sure you can buy what got stolen... a new head unit isn't that expensive.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That's toast, sorry. It will be much cheaper to buy a new head unit.

FYI, faceplates are typically prohibitively expensive, if they're sold separately at all, precisely to discourage theft of the stereos.

illig on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I suppose that makes sense; the only place I could find a replacement was at the Kenwood website, and that was $60 for just the plate. Still, it's cheaper than $180, so I was hoping I could go with the cheaper option.

FrostyAlphaWolf on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just saying, when I remove my faceplate for security reasons, it looks nothing like that. That looks really damaged.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You'd need not only the face plate but the front chassis member as well. Good luck finding that part

Kenwood corporate may be able to help you source one, if they are still building parts for that chassis

That being said, easier to replace. After parts/shipping/time spent probably cheaper too

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You can get a faceplate and push it into that connector and it will work. However, as soon as you hit a bump it will fall off. If money is really tight you might be able to find a faceplate on ebay for cheap and rig up a way to permanently attach it, but it will look like ass. You'll also want to make sure you're not buying from a stupid thief like the one who tried to steal your stereo.

I had a similar thing happen to me years ago. A thief tried to steal my stereo and cut the wiring harness in random places (even though it was all attached to an easily disconnected clip). They couldn't get it out (I could pop it in like 2 minutes), but they did manage to short circuit the thing. It worked after that, but the buttons didn't all do what they were supposed to (volume down was incremental, but volume up went 10%>60%>100%; preset 6 went to next track, stuff like that). Some people just don't take pride in their work.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Do you have full coverage on your insurance? If so, I'd think it would cover this.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    AtomBomb wrote: »
    You can get a faceplate and push it into that connector and it will work. However, as soon as you hit a bump it will fall off. If money is really tight you might be able to find a faceplate on ebay for cheap and rig up a way to permanently attach it, but it will look like ass. You'll also want to make sure you're not buying from a stupid thief like the one who tried to steal your stereo.

I had a similar thing happen to me years ago. A thief tried to steal my stereo and cut the wiring harness in random places (even though it was all attached to an easily disconnected clip). They couldn't get it out (I could pop it in like 2 minutes), but they did manage to short circuit the thing. It worked after that, but the buttons didn't all do what they were supposed to (volume down was incremental, but volume up went 10%>60%>100%; preset 6 went to next track, stuff like that). Some people just don't take pride in their work.

That's what I was thinking about trying, but I wanted to ask around before I shelled out $60 for a face plate when it sounds like I'm going to need a completely new unit. I guess I know where that tax refund is going this year.

I checked with my renter's insurance (since it happened at my apartment complex) but they won't cover it. I doubt my car insurance will either, but I may look into before I go buy the new unit.

FrostyAlphaWolf on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SpudgeSpudge Witty comments go next to this blue dot thingyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You'd be surprised what your car insurance may cover if you have full coverage/comprehensive

But you'll probably need a receipt

Spudge on
    Play With Me
    Xbox - IT Jerk
    PSN - MicroChrist

I'm too fuckin' poor to play
    WordsWFriends - zeewoot
  • Options
    Count FunkulaCount Funkula Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This happened to me several years ago when I left the faceplate on my radio one night (I had an Alpine at the time). In my case, the thieves took my whole headunit, but seriously jacked up my dash in the process.

The lesson to be learned here is: If your stereo has a removable faceplate, take it with you when you leave your car, or someone else will.

Count Funkula on