As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[feel free to lock] Nevermind, Ima change my HD with a Chinese Gold Farm.

AldoAldo Hippo HoorayRegistered User regular
First off: I'm an idiot, I'm tired and I feel bad. I have already tried a lot, but it all failed*.

Basically: I have a 75GB HDD that's become too small for my gaming needs. So I figured I'd unplug it, and run everything from my 1.5TB HDD. The basic idea would be simple: make partition on disk, back-up the whole of C:/ and place it on partition. ??? Profit!

So could someone point me to the right freeware and describe exactly what I should copy/paste to make Windows skip over to the new partition without going tits up?

Trying to look up internet guides has only confused me further. There's so many options and nearly everything is written with the idea that you replace one HDD and suggest you just leave everything on your old one, make it ride in Slave and plug in the new [assumed better] on as Master. Yes, thanks for that internet. Not helping.

As you can figure out I'm not very good with computers, I just happen to be in the possession of reading skills and the capability to make checklists. For most tech stuff this is more than enough. If you think this takes far too much trial and error or knowledge for someone like me to do on an afternoon, please let me know.

*I have no idea if this is of use to you, but it's comedic.
Here is what I did:
used Acronis to back-up C:/ and made a bootable disk.
set up a partition on big HDD
unplugged old small HDD
tried putting the whole back up to that partition
failed
simply installed Windows Vista 32 bit figuring I'd just reinstall everything I needed.

Now I've got Windows installed and it's running OK. Only with a very annoying problem: it doesn't have a driver for my ethernet, so I do not have internet. Wireless is not an option.

Ideally I'd still like to run the back-up I made and go from there. The problem is that I have no idea how to go about this. An added problem is that the partition I made got renamed to D: and the main disk is called C: according to Acronis, while Windows has them listed the other way around.

So I gave up on all that. Plugged my old HDD back in. Reformatted my partition and then deleted it again making my whole T1.5 HDD whole again.

Aldo on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Use clonezilla, clone your old drive to your new drive. Once that's done, use gparted and make the new partition use all the free space on your new drive.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Hunh. This will probably need a bit of a longer look, because it seems like a thing that could be annoyingly idiosyncratic, but here goes:

You should be able to just plug in both hard drives, run a disk-partition thing like Acronis from the small one, ask it to partition the large one, and ask it to copy the small one to a partition on the large one.

I don't think the backup/bootable disk part is actually necessary.

Also, how in the hell does any windows install not have ethernet drivers? Was Vista cursed or something?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    Use clonezilla, clone your old drive to your new drive. Once that's done, use gparted and make the new partition use all the free space on your new drive.
    Do Drive Letters matter? Will the partition be called C:/ right away? Will the stuff already on that HDD be safe? I've got some software installed on that as well (so paths go F:/...) will I need to reinstall that?

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hunh. This will probably need a bit of a longer look, because it seems like a thing that could be annoyingly idiosyncratic, but here goes:

You should be able to just plug in both hard drives, run a disk-partition thing like Acronis from the small one, ask it to partition the large one, and ask it to copy the small one to a partition on the large one.

I don't think the backup/bootable disk part is actually necessary.

Also, how in the hell does any windows install not have ethernet drivers? Was Vista cursed or something?
    The curses placed on Vista are described in detail in the Book of Dread chapters 5 to 7. Anyway, have you worked with Acronis? What menu should I be in? Do you know if those options are available on a Trial?

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Aldo wrote: »
    Do Drive Letters matter? Will the partition be called C:/ right away? Will the stuff already on that HDD be safe? I've got some software installed on that as well (so paths go F:/...) will I need to reinstall that?

Well gparted and clonezilla run outside of windows, they work on your drive raw.

So once all is said and done, when you get back into windows your drive will be 1.5 TB will be your C drive, assuming you unplugged your other drive.

Do you want me to get more in debt on how to use them?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Well gparted and clonezilla run outside of windows, they work on your drive raw.

So once all is said and done, when you get back into windows your drive will be 1.5 TB will be your C drive, assuming you unplugged your other drive.

Do you want me to get more in debt on how to use them?
    Hah I can tell you were talking about student loans in [chat].

I'd like a bit more in depth how-to.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Oh actually, do I need GParted? I quite like my HDD divided in a part for Windows and a part for data.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Well, if you use clonezilla the new HDD will be exactly the same as the old HDD except the new one will have a huge chunk of contiguous free space that's not assigned to any partitions. Then you can add it to one or the other, and I think both too.

bowen on