As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

100 Self Portraits in 100 Days

LampLamp Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Artist's Corner
Hey guys!

Last month I decided I wanted to learn to draw a human head, and also learn to draw with charcoal, so here's the deal. I'm currently knee deep in a project, which is, as the title of the thread explains, 100 self portraits in 100 days. I'm on day 35ish and I while I'm proud of the progress I've made so far (I find I am somewhat less clueless than when I began) I finally got up the nerve to put together a thread that I will be updating daily from here on out. I am drawing with charcoal pencil on smooth newsprint, and all are done from the mirror.

You can check out the embarassing beginnings at this tumblr blog: brettshead.tumblr.com

Some days I am VERY strapped for time (or else I am just in a funk) so you might notice that even the more recent drawings have big gaps in quality.

For the purposes of kicking off this thread I will go ahead and post the last eight days of portraits, starting with ten days ago and moving to the most recent. Any feedback you can offer is VERY MUCH appeciated.

tumblr_llfh21tEZX1qjxikzo1_500.jpg

tumblr_llgz1cIk1A1qjxikzo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lliwh8bGx91qjxikzo1_500.jpg

tumblr_llkmwa7ZlW1qjxikzo1_r2_500.jpg

tumblr_llmn6uXx9y1qjxikzo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lloou48v3A1qjxikzo1_r2_500.jpg

tumblr_llqct1f6hN1qjxikzo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lltmy2alPi1qjxikzo1_r1_500.jpg

tumblr_lltzdjHHCq1qjxikzo1_500.jpg

tumblr_llwwy8PVqB1qjxikzo1_r1_500.jpg

Lamp on

• Options
    edited May 2011
    Day 34:

tumblr_llz9nm0tyt1qjxikzo1_r1_500.jpg

Lamp on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Day 35:

tumblr_llzvrnW6Z11qjxikzo1_500.jpg

Lamp on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    These definitely look better than the first couple you did so you're improving a lot!

I'd like to see you push your darks a little bit more. The best ones here are the ones that exhibit a full value range. You're using a dark media so take advantage of it!

Some of these look rushed and the structure begins to suffer. Take your time in the beginning and build up your rendering in stages.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    2nding deelock, it's all looking pretty good and descent, but could really use deeper darks.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    kudos, dude, keep at it - these are good; i'd like to see some more contrast, though. basically what the other two said. darker darks, lighter lights. maybe try doing one in sharpie or something, just to see what you get out of that? i find that using greyscale markers pushes me to do more highly contrasted things (i have the same problem you do.)

mully on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Thanks for the comments guys. It is true that some of these are rushed, and that's because some days I really don't have much time to draw, and I often have found myself miserable at the tripe that I'm about to post. No excuses though -- most days I have plenty of time to make a good drawing and still churn out crap :lol: I am hoping that the embarrassment of posting them in a public forum will help get me in gear to improve!

And I will try to push for better contrast in this week's drawings.

Tonight is my last stab (for right now) at this pose and lighting.
    Day 35:

tumblr_lm1gbgDf7J1qjxikzo1_500.jpg

Lamp on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Day 36:
    tumblr_lm3fv8FkMf1qjxikzo1_500.jpg

Lamp on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Day 37:

tumblr_lm5ajeyaRU1qjxikzo1_r1_500.jpg

Lamp on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Had to miss yesterday because of a family emergency -- I'll be making it up this weekend!

Here's Day 38:
    tumblr_lm8uvw9C6c1qjxikzo1_r1_500.jpg

Lamp on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I really want to see you use some different media, and color

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Zerg -- I want to dive into some color somewhere in the second half of this project, but right now I think I'm struggling with a lot of basic drawing problems that are independent of medium and color, and I'm scared that diving into new unfamiliar media would distract from that. Maybe that's a bad way to think of it and I should be pushing to try new things?

On the other hand I'm also just terrified of color and probably avoiding it.

Also I was told to start pushing contrast and I guess I'm not doing that... I'll try to make that a focus this week.

Anyway, here's Day 39:
    tumblr_lmaoucKL7T1qjxikzo1_500.jpg

Lamp on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    This makes me really curious to see a photograph.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    These recent ones all look very similar.

A photo isn't really necessary but I'd like to know how long these take you on average.

In regards to what NakedZergling said, you don't necessarily have to delve into color and other materials yet, especially since you said that you wanted to work on drawing in charcoal. HOWEVER, that does not mean that you should limit yourself to one way of using charcoal. Experiment and try different methods and materials. Try smooth paper and toned paper, charcoal pencils, compressed charcoal and vine charcoal.

Here's some examples of portraits that do different things with charcoal, they also all go into the darkest values of the medium.

headdemo4.jpg

charcoal-tg-lo.jpg

1164264720.jpg

drawing_20.jpg

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Hey guys, here are two recent photos of me:

jsbwL.jpg

1jKus.jpg

Deelock -- on an average work day I have about 3 hours to draw in the evening, but my schedule varies and sometime I have just an hour or so. I'd say on average these take 2 hours, but I still struggle a lot in the beginning construction stage. Anyway, perhaps I could make a nicer drawing if I took more time (i.e. over the course of a few nights) but I really think that just going for volume has had a better benefit than I would get polishing a turd. Or at least that is the theory I'm working with.

It's true that he recent ones look very similar. I guess it's because I look at certain aspects of a portrait from the night before and see the errors are glaringly obvious. So I decide to make basically the same drawing again, sans the errors... but more likely it just looks the same. :lol:

I'll keep pushing and try to experiment a bit, thanks for the comments!

Lamp on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Day 40:
    tumblr_lmc0alUZhj1qjxikzo1_500.jpg

Lamp on
  • Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Two hours seems like a long time to be spending on these! I'd say limit yourself to a shorter period of time. Maybe 45 minutes to 1 hour? Some of your drawings make you look much older (than your pic anyway) and it may be because you're spending too much time trying to get some of the minor details down and not enough on getting the basic structure down. Maybe spend one of those hours reading a Loomis book instead? It may really help in just giving you an understanding in construction, and it wouldn't take long.

Definitely seeing improvements, and the changes in contrast you've been making are effective!

melting_doll on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I agree with melting doll. The recent ones are getting better but they do often look different from each other, and different from your photograph, so you may want to make sure you are paying attention to the form of your features and head specifically, instead of just rendering features in general.

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yes! Thanks for the comments guys. Trust me, I am PAINFULLY aware that each of my portraits looks like a different person, who may or may not look a bit like me!

Melting -- It's funny, lately I've been trying to really kick my art practice into high gear, which leads me to feel soul-crushing guilt anytime I'm not scribbling something on paper for more than 15 minutes. I have far too many art books scattered around me that I've barely scratched the surface of, and I KNOW that ignoring them is ultimately counterproductive, but it's hard to shake that feeling...

That said, I tried to take your advice and kick out a quicker portrait and focus more on simple forms and construction tonight -- hopefully it shows.

I also switched to Conte instead of charcoal, on a suggestion by Cakemikz... and BOY what a difference! For the first time in the course of this project I felt like I wasn't struggling with the medium, and I could make the marks I wanted to. There's something about the soft touch of these Conte pencils that I just love.

Day 41:
    tumblr_lmehk4pF1N1qjxikzo1_r1_500.jpg

Lamp on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Another crummy day, another crummy portrait!

Day 42:
    tumblr_lmfsulNq4Z1qjxikzo1_500.jpg

Lamp on
  • Options
    tracertongtracertong Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, I took the liberty of redrawing a bunch of your portraits - Im no expert so it took me a few hours and it in fact helped me by doing it. I hope you don't mind. IMO I find that you are often making mistakes of proportion. Remember that you have a long, narrow face with a large jaw and weak cheekbones.

In no particular order what i saw:

1) You draw yourself with high, semi-prominent cheekbones when IMO they are low and very faint.

2) You have a HUGE CHIN that you often draw too small and high.

3) You often draw your eyes too big

4) You make yourself look old specifically by giving yourself way too much of a receding hairline than you really have according to your pictures

5) Mouths are often drawn too narrow

35559015.jpg

I hope your not offended by the picture, I'll take it down if you want but I did the best I could.

tracertong on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Is the way you are drawing the head influenced by any particular tutorial? I ask because they have a bit of a stylized look to them (that may just be the way you draw), but considering how some of the features consistently differ from your face it seems as though you may have worked through a tutorial and are having a hard time expanding outside of what it taught you specifically.

lyrium on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    tracertong -- I don't mind at all, thanks for sharing your thoughts! I think you are right about me drawing my chin too small and my eyes too big. I hope this doesn't sound defensive but the more that both photos I posted overemphasize my chin a bit, the first because I'm pulling my lips in and sticking my chin out, the second because the lighting makes it hard to tell where the "crease" of my chin is.

Or maybe I'm just being a whiny huge-chinned ass. Either way I'll try to pay more attention this week!

Lyrium -- I'm MOSTLY just fumbling blindly and trying to draw what I see in the mirror, but I've picked up ideas about construction and proportions from Vilppu videos and Loomis books.

I'm trying to draw what I see -- hopefully things are improving, if slowly. I'm open to any good reading you could suggest! :D

Here's Day 43:
    tumblr_lmjmpu6Luq1qjxikzo1_r5_500.jpg

Day 44:
    tumblr_lmjysd40RY1qjxikzo1_r1_500.jpg

Lamp on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Okay, I was just curious about the tutorial thing. Maybe you should spend a little more time on the initial placement and sketch, and see if that helps. Getting a likeness is hard and I have to work on the same things :P
    Contrast is looking better!

lyrium on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It seems like you are consistently drawing your jawline too narrow, and it's making your face look too triangular. Your face is much longer than you're drawing it - your drawings look squished.

It's actually interesting to see these, because although you're not using the standard "symbols" for eyeballs or noses or mouths (i.e. the "football" shape for eyes)...it looks like you're using different symbols - the "Vilppu/Loomis symbols", if you will. The handling of the eyes, the shadow under the lower lip, the cheekbones, even your hair (which you're drawing as if you've got the 1950's slicked-to-the-side hairdo, when in your photographs, your hair is relatively short...I assume that's still the case?).

Take more cues from the mirror, and aim for accuracy. Your rendering should be secondary. You may end up with a well-rendered face in the end, but it will look nothing like you. You can still render your self-portraits in Vilppu/Loomis's styles, but...at the same time, you need to be true to your own face, and your own characteristics. Don't render a super-dark shadow under your lip unless there is, indeed, a strong form there (I only have two photographs to work from, but it doesn't seem that you have that). Don't render high, defined cheekbones when it doesn't appear that you have high, defined cheekbones. There are many "styles" in which to draw - even when aiming for something that's more "realistic". What Deelock posted are some examples of this. Try to spend a little more time getting the placement/size/shapes of things down accurately, and worry about the rendering as a secondary part.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    THANK YOU for the excellent comments, ND!

This weekend I've been reading "Drawing the Head" by William Maughan (excellent book btw) and it struck me one of the ways that I've been going wrong. Take my cheekbones for example. I do not have high cheekbones, and yet, every time I tried to render out the values I am seeing it read like high cheekbones. Part of the reason for this, I now believe, is that I am not using a tone to indicate highlights in my approach. My paper is my midtone... and that's as light as I've got.

So it just struck me what I've been doing wrong (I think). Since the area underneath my eyes catches a lot of light in most overhead lighting situations, I've been darkening the area beneath it, rather than using a highlight tone under the eyes -- or simply or letting it stay simple as a midtone. That, of course, resulted in a drawing of a person with high cheekbones, even though that's not what I MEANT to draw at all.

I probably sound like a total bonehead.

Friday's drawing looks weird and unlike me, but oh well here it is.

tumblr_lmozrlQihS1qjxikzo1_r1_500.jpg

Saturday's drawing. I really am trying to take to heart the suggestion I am reading here regarding likeness. I spent a while trying to puzzle out the structure of my nose for instance, and came up with something much more accurate I think. I hope it is a step in the right direction in that regard.

tumblr_lmoztdTbv71qjxikzo1_r5_500.jpg

Lamp on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Here's tonight drawing!

Day 47:
    tumblr_lmpl18Hcg41qjxikzo1_r2_500.jpg

Lamp on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Another stupid drawing coming right up!

tumblr_lmrc6u1N2J1qjxikzo1_r1_500.jpg

Lamp on
  • Options
    JeckalHydeJeckalHyde Lord Awesome New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I do have to say that they are beginning to look like you, bit by bit.

JeckalHyde on