As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

High Density vs. Low Density RAM?

PcH340PcH340 Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Games and Technology
So I've been doing a lot of research on this, because I accidentally bought 2GBs of high-density RAM for my motherboard, without knowing whether it can support it or not. It is a PC Chips P17G, and from what I've been reading, I don't think it supports high density RAM. Has anyone tried to overclock high density memory to allow it to work on a non-compatible motherboard?

I'm not sure if it will work, so I'm looking to buy some new low density RAM, and was wondering how to identify whether or not your motherboard supports 2GB in one slot. I know it has 2 slots and supports 2GB total, but I don't know if I can put it all in one spot. I have ran CPU ID and Belarc Computer Advisor, but neither specify about maximum amount of memory in one slot. Haven't had any luck looking through the manual either. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I made this account like 4 years ago, and this is my first post in a couple years. Isn't it funny that I remembered the password haha :)

PcH340 on

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Well, since you've been gone so long, you might have missed "Moe's Stupid Technology Tavern" which would be the best place to ask this sort of question.

Personally I don't remember any questions about "high density" ram from the 775 days, but it's been a while. Or do you just mean 2GB vs 1GB DIMMs?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just googled the motherboard and looked at the specs; max 2GB, sorry.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    PcH340PcH340 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    @Apogee

I know the max is 2GB, but I was wondering if it can support 2GB in one slot, or if I have to divide it into two 1 GB sticks. Do motherboards usually support their maximum amount in one slot?

And also, it would be great if a Mod could move this to the Tech Tavern (although I doubt it'll happen)

PcH340 on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just give it a try? Worse case scenario is that it works but is minutely slower because it won't be using dual-channel.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    InsiderInsider Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Just pop it in and try it? Its not going to destroy it or anything if its not supported it just won't boot past bios.

Insider on
    Steam
    Sneaky..
  • Options
    Bob the GamerBob the Gamer Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's 1 GB per slot.

Bob the Gamer on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    It's time to get a new motherboard/computer if your worried about high density ram.

Viscountalpha on