As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking To Upgrade PC Specs: Suggestions/Estimates Needed

Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
Thanks to a recent hallmark in my life (Bachelor's Graduate), I've come into a decent amount of money. As a result, I'm considering upgrading my PC.

Basically, I want to future-proof my machine for most of the upcoming blockbusters, including Skyrim and Mass Effect 3. Currently I can run many current games to max or near-max levels, but the graphics whore in me wants to take it further. In truth though, as long as I get a stable 60 fps, that's usually enough to appease me.

In any event, here are my current PC specs:

System NameWIN7
System ManufacturerGigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System ModelEP35-DS3L
System Typex64-based PC
ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/DateAward Software International, Inc. F5, 7/16/2008
SMBIOS Version2.4
Windows DirectoryC:\Windows
System DirectoryC:\Windows\system32
Boot Device\Device\HarddiskVolume1
LocaleUnited States
Hardware Abstraction LayerVersion = "6.1.7601.17514"
User NameWin7\Jorge
Time ZoneEastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory4.00 GB
Available Physical Memory1.28 GB
Total Virtual Memory8.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory4.71 GB
Page File Space4.00 GB
Page FileC:\pagefile.sys
Radeon HD 5700 Series
Gigabyte Technology EP35-DDS3L

I've already been told that in order to run a multicore processor, I'm going to need a new Mobo. Not sure if my GPU is still worth keeping, or what kind of benefits I would receive for upgrading to something newer.

Anyway, I want to shop around so I can keep this cost-effective, ideally below the $500 range (including selling my old hardware). Again, links, estimates, and expectations would be helpful.

Professor Snugglesworth on

• Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    My advice would be to wait until Thanksgiving. I know that is three months off, but you will save a ton of money with the day after Thanksgiving specials.

From what I see, you need DDR3 memory, a new processor, and a new motherboard at least. A new video card would be good. I don't know what your power supply wattage is.

If you can't wait until then, You'll want to look into getting an i5 processor/motherboard.

(Read the sticky!)

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Mass Effect 3 you can probably already run on max or near max, Skyrim, we'll see. Just wait.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Well, I was kind of looking into getting a 3D TV at Thanksgiving, hence why I was looking into upgrading my PC now. But I suppose that warrants separate research to determine if it would be a good idea to trade up on TVs at that time or not.