Options

The best Mario game is...?

DailyMarioDailyMario Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Games and Technology
I've been doing a lot of radio spots promoting a book I wrote on Super Mario, and people (rightly) ask what my favorite Mario game is. No wavering from me: I am a firm believer in Super Mario Bros. 3.

But I also played that a whole lot more than Super Mario World, or SMGalaxy, or even the original SMB. And none of these have I played as much as Dr Mario, which isn't a "true" Mario game, but still.

Opening it up to the great washed masses: what's your favorite Mario game? Please show your work.

--Jeff Ryan

DailyMario on

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular

Luigi's Mansion

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I played Super Mario RPG more than any other Mario product. But that's probably because it was my first RPG ever.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    Ziggymon wrote:
    Luigi's Mansion

It was criminal how under-appreciated that was during the Cube launch.

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    If I had an NES style controller, it would be NSMBW. I have to put my right hand under the controller to do things like carry Toad efficiently.

I'm also quite partial to Luigi's Mansion.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Ziggymon wrote:
    Luigi's Mansion

It was criminal how under-appreciated that was during the Cube launch.

Hi5!

I found it one of the most original and well thought out Nintendo titles. It's presentation and audio is absolutely amazing. Found it also interesting that it was developed with Stereoscopic 3D in mind. Truly a game ahead of its time.

• Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    this one

Super_Mario_Bros_3_boxfront.jpg

/thread

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    luigi's mansion owns bones

lets talk about how excited we all are for the 3ds sequel

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    To me it usually comes down to World and Super Mario Bros. 3.

SMW has longer levels, but its also easier to cheat your way through using the cape or flying yoshi or what have you. SMB 3 has many more short 45-90 second levels, but also harder platforming, no checkpoints, and while it does have flying without the P Wing you can't fly infinitely like you can with the cape. SMW does have the Special Zone to make up for it though.

This is how I used to be, but then New Super Mario Bros. Wii came along. Sure, it might not be the prettiest game around, but man are those levels designed well. Then you add in the multiplayer mayhem and the best powerup system since 3 and you have something special. It just hits note after note. The punishing single player Star Coin Hunt, the pitch perfect timing of four man castle runs, the interesting balance with the Yoshi levels, and yes, the basically spot on old school with a bit of waggle controls.

For 2D Mario I seem to have a new favorite.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Super Mario Galaxy 2 - Favorite 3D Mario

Super Mario World - Favorite 2D Mario

Mario RPG - Favorite RPG Mario

Yoshi's Island - Favorite Yoshi Themed Mario

Bowser's Inside Story - Favorite Handheld Mario

Mario Kart Wii - Favorite Mario Sports Game

Yes, Mario is my favorite franchise, and those of my favorite are usually only slightly better liked than the others.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    no love for paper mario: the thousand year door?

what kind of thread is this

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    PM:TTYD is the best RPG released last gen.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    that's more like it

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Xenogears is right, NSMBWii is one of the best side scrolling Marios out there. I only give the edge to SMW due to the fact that it was the game that introduced me to the 16 bit era, and as much as I love SMB3, I enjoyed SMW so much more.

To note: I spent many afternoons burning through SM3 over and over when it first came out when I was much younger. I have owned every Mario game when it first released since the NES debuted and I got it for Christmas with SMB/Zelda/Donkey Kong. Mario is as much my childhood as Mickey is to many others. Mario is my Mickey Mouse so there are very few of the main games that I don't love with a passion.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Best Mario game? I thought virtually all of them were made of gold encrusted humble pie. Why must you make me choose?!
    Super_Mario_Bros._3_coverart.png

Also Yoshi's Island.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    SMB3 - most fond memories.

Mario64 - greatest impact on me.

New Super Mario Bros(DS) - most fun singleplayer.

Mario Golf 64 - most fun multiplayer

ObiFett on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Galaxy 1 and 2 are incredibly fine games. I gotta say I enjoy them more than the side scrollers, though it's tough to compare.

NSMB Wii is amazing, probably beats 3 for me on sheer length, variety, fun-ness of content. Nostalgia only goes so far!

And Thousand Year Door is one of the best RPGs ever, seriously. Second to that among Mario RPGs? Mario and Luigi on GBA.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    I just finished a replay of TTYD last night actually

feels good man

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Super Mario Galaxy.

I've always (or, well, since SM64 came out) liked the 3D titles more.

Graviija on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    Super Mario Sunshine.

• Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    Super Mario Galaxy. My favourite game ever.

• Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Thousand Year Door is defiantly the best of the Paper Marios. But I find myself going back to the original more often. When I first beat the original I immediately played through it again. To date I have four complete games on the N64 cart and four more on the Wii Virtual Console. The chapter with Kolorado and the Tuna are probably a the biggest reason for this.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    Can I put Super Mario Sunshine down... for aesthetics? I like the tropical theme.

Probably SMW. While young, I loved SMB2. I also like Super Mario 64DS over the original. And I believe I've played too much Mario Party 1-3 to not give it a mention.

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    I love them both, but TTYD is a lot smoother visually + plays a little more on the paper element.

the only thing I dont like about them is badges that increased attack were more or less a game breaker since they applied twice on jumps

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    SMB3 for me, but Mario 64 deserves more love then it is getting.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    luigi's mansion owns bones

lets talk about how excited we all are for the 3ds sequel

I'm so glad they are making a sequel. Multiple Mansions? Where do I sign up?

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    Super Mario World absolutely, but it's also one of the first console games I ever played so I guess I'm biased.

kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Super Mario Bros 2.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    SMB3 got me so hyped because of The Wizard. Super Mario World was baller as fuck being the first game I ever saw and played on the SNES. I played it to death. All the alternate level completions. Beating all the star levels, which were bastards... Than beating it again after beating the star levels where all the character models changed. Great game.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    One would recommend giving the rules thread at the very least a quick glance. You clearly didn't.

This discussion has been closed.