As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[LucasArts] planning to create an open-world RPG

Victory63Victory63 Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Games and Technology
According to a job listing on LucasFilms official recruiting site, LucasArts is planning to develop an open-world RPG game.
https://www.lucasfilm.apply2jobs.com/ProfExt/index.cfm?fuseaction=mExternal.showJob&RID=3575

This could mean a number of things.
Possibly a Fallout/Elder Scrolls like Star Wars?
A Fallout/Elder Scrolls like oiginal IP?

What are your predictions?

Victory63 on

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Dark Forces 5: Jedi Knight 4: Jedi Outcast 3: Jedi Academy 2: Jedi Open world. Want.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Grim Fandango...

a man can dream, right? *sad face*

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Ewok Breeding Simulator;

Travel the globe in search of the rare purple haired ewok. If you mate it with the green haired ewok you get the mythical golden ewok.

Or Gungan Warrior, relive the battle of naboo as a brave gungan warrior.

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Young Anakin Explores Tattooine: toddle unrestrained as a small boy through the wastes of the Dune Sea, hold the hand of Tuskens in real time as they sing and dance, and duel junk dealer's apprentices across the entire planet with an all new interactive dice game battle system.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    This is great. Maybe to raise money for the project they can sell some IPs to companies that will use them.

Just sayin'.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Loom Quest.

Alternatively, The Dig Online.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    Indiana Jones and the Facebook Social Game

..marketing can figure out the title, but tell Lucas I want to start getting checks for this by Monday.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    I guess they ran out of games and developers to cancel/shutdown/fire. Time to hire some more and get some things going they can later destroy!

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Victory63 wrote:
    Possibly a Fallout/Elder Scrolls like Star Wars?

All of my dicks, etc.

A The Dig RPG would be weird but awesome.

Oh god... gimme an Outlaws open world RPG please.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    So first there was X-Wing.

Then their was Tie Fighter.

Now there will be Millinium Falcon, i.e. an Elite/Privateer like game.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

Make this man Pope.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Clearly, this will be a Ballblazer MMORPG.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    What's an IP Lucasarts can diddle? Do they still have anything with Star Wars in it?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    -SPI- wrote:
    I guess they ran out of games and developers to cancel/shutdown/fire. Time to hire some more and get some things going they can later destroy!

Heh, you beat me to it.

You, too, can get a job with Lucasarts and then be shitcanned when the game goes gold!

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    You guys all know this will be some lame ass Clone Wars shit. We will never get what we really want...A new Tie Fighter game...Like a real one. Not one of those Rogue Squadron things.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Open world RPG set on Coruscant. You play a fully customisable non-force-using character, with career paths ranging from a gun-for-hire lubricating the wheels of diplomacy to a politician that must build and use an extensive network of contacts and political allies to get your way. As the Republic begins to eat itself from the inside out, you must try your best to save it, by word or by gun.

Star Wars: Politics: The Game. Coming out never/never/never at nowhere near you.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular

I can't stop shaking.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    As much as I'd love a Star Wars game set to the tune of Bethesda action RPGs, goddamn TOR is on its way and that might be overkill. In fact, it might directly fuck with TOR since TOR's big pitch is "MASSIVE STORY IN MMOs!" So if they do a Bethesda-style RPG, all of a sudden people wanting an in-depth Star Wars RPG world can go do that.

'Course, you can still have both if this new game LucasArts is doing has little to no Force using. Dark Forces and Republic Commando remain among their best FPS games specifically because of that.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Also, I'll say it:

Full Throttle.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Republic Commando ended up being so great...Than when you really thought shit was ramping up the game was over. It deserved an immediate sequel or just simply a longer campaign.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    World of Monkey Island.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote:
    World of Loom

loomad.jpg

• Options
    DockenDocken Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote:

Make this man Pope.

No. Pope is not good enough.

Make this man HYPER POPE.

• Options
    Mulletude wrote:
    Republic Commando ended up being so great...Than when you really thought shit was ramping up the game was over. It deserved an immediate sequel or just simply a longer campaign.

It was a fluke hit.

• Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Drez wrote:

I wonder how many younger gamers will get this reference.

I wish something crazy like that would exist though.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    InHumanInHuman Registered User regular
    Gladius MMO pleeaassseeee

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote:
    Open world RPG set on Coruscant. You play a fully customisable non-force-using character, with career paths ranging from a gun-for-hire lubricating the wheels of diplomacy to a politician that must build and use an extensive network of contacts and political allies to get your way. As the Republic begins to eat itself from the inside out, you must try your best to save it, by word or by gun.

Star Wars: Politics: The Game. Coming out never/never/never at nowhere near you.

I'd pay cash money for a game that took place in the Coruscant underground. Having to deal with gangs, mutated cannibals, feral droids, random thugs, crime lords, granite slugs, mutants, monsters, and who knows what else is lurking down there, a place that has been sealed off with Imperial Blast Doors for thousands of years, where natural light hasn't existed in tens of thousands of years or more, and all of it lying miles below the city's surface.

Imagine a modern day Ultima Underworld with vague Star Wars references, and you'll get the idea.

The developers could work on something that wasn't "Star Wars" (as in, Jedis and spaceships and and whatever is going on in whatever clone wars series is doing well right now), but marketing can still sell it as a Star Wars game. Everybody wins.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    Mulletude wrote:

It was a fluke hit.
    They've also had like 2 or 3 complete staff turnovers since then. Don't really have that much confidence in their in house developers, especially since they somehow managed to make TFU2 worse than 1

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

We already had X-Wing Alliance, which allowed you to fly the Millennium Falcon in the final missions. Obviously, the next step is Super Star Destroyer, followed by Death Star. The latter is the "open world" game, in which you fly out to various pastoral worlds like Alderaan and open them up. Violently.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote:

I wonder how many younger gamers will get this reference.

I wish something crazy like that would exist though.

With all the Star Wars shit they put out, you tend to forget that LA actually has other properties that don't involve glowy light swords and space wizards.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I was briefly excited before I remembered that everything I used to care about from LA has long since been abandoned for MOARSTARWARZ.

Thankfully Telltale picked up the ball they dropped and have had massive success with it, so there is possibly some justice in the universe.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Morkath wrote:
    Ewok Breeding Simulator;

Travel the globe in search of the rare purple haired ewok. If you mate it with the green haired ewok you get the mythical golden ewok.

Or Gungan Warrior, relive the battle of naboo as a brave gungan warrior.

Thread over. Go back to your homes and await the coming of digital Ewok sex.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Mulletude wrote:

It was a fluke hit.
    They've also had like 2 or 3 complete staff turnovers since then. Don't really have that much confidence in their in house developers, especially since they somehow managed to make TFU2 worse than 1

Truly, if they ever managed to do something that amazed me it was that accomplishment. TFU was already terrible, making a worse sequel was just amazing.

I bet it still sold shitloads though, despite being awful.

The idea of a privateer like Star Wars game makes me so happy. This means it would never happen.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Victory63Victory63 Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote:
    The idea of a privateer like Star Wars game makes me so happy. This means it would never happen.

Probably not the same but around 2004 - 2005, LucasArts were planning to develop a Star Wars smuggler game.
    Players would take the role of a smuggler and travel between planets trading items and evading Imperial forces.
    The project only went as far as concept art until it was cancelled. However some concept art along with the cancelled
    Wookiee game "Rebel Warrior" were reused for "The Force Unleashed".

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    Open world or open island? monkey island.

anyway it's definitely star wars of some sort.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    An open world Bounty Hunting game in the Star Wars universe would be pretty amazing. I'd love the hell out of a game based on Boba Fett's ascent to the top of the bounty hunter dog-pile. Especially if it had this kind of tone to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAU_PCEVMyY

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    atol.jpg

Lucasarts proudly presents: ATOL

An action-rpg set on an island.
    Level up your stranded hero.
    Put points into the swimming skill-tree and watch your hero stroke for hours on end.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    atol.jpg

Lucasarts proudly presents: Star Tropics

An action-rpg set on an island.
    Level up your stranded hero.
    Put points into the yo-yo skill-tree and watch your hero be unable to swim for hours on end.