As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 9-14-11: It's MY Boat

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Graphic Violence
Good week of books so far.

Batman and Robin #1, good start. A throwback to the 60's show, a new villain who is like Ghost from Thunderbolts, and radioactive hijinks at Gotham U. The only thing bad I can point to is the book being colored pretty dark for a print copy. But the character stuff is the best, where Bruce is trying to lighten up, but Damian won't let him though:

batmanrobin2-1a.jpg

batmanrobin2-1b.jpg

batmanrobin2-1c.jpg

Daredevil #3, good end to the first story, fun art, fun use of dialogue boxes:

daredevil3-3a.jpg

daredevil3-3b.jpg

And Green Lantern #1, Sinestro does not like tattle-tales, at all:

greenlantern4-1a.jpg

greenlantern4-1b.jpg

TexiKen on

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Something about the way Batman is written in those panels seems a bit off to me.

• Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    I don't know. Damian just seems to be saying, "Don't talk about moving on. Just do it already." Because he recognizes that Bruce's little melodrama is not really moving on.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    That's a pretty awesome way to explain Sinestro outside of his own corps.

• Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    Loved Frankenstein, Demon Knights, GL & Uncanny X-Force this week. Dont really have the capacity to post scans, but some good Dethlok moments in X-Force.

PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    TobagganTobaggan Registered User regular
    Lots of good stuff in the DC stuff I picked up this week, but the last pages of Demon Knights got the biggest reaction out of me.

"We find the source of the problem..."
    "...and we throw dragons at it."

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    I want to read so many DC titles but I don't want to throw my monies at it week after week. Did they say they were going to have a better trades system going forward? Anyone in NY wanna be buds and we'll just buy alternate books for convenience?

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    How is Superboy #1?

• Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    desc wrote:
    How is Superboy #1?

I thought it was pretty great actually, some better reactions in the DCnU thread if your curious.

PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    TheHopelessGamerTheHopelessGamer Registered User regular
    desc wrote:
    How is Superboy #1?

Out of all the #1's I've picked up so far, Superboy's my favorite. Here's the review I wrote for it over at my blog:
    How did Superboy make me want to buy Teen Titans #1? Don't get me wrong, I want to be excited for Teen Titans, I love the idea of the teen superhero team, but the art just throws me off completely. With Superboy #1, Scott Lobdell does the impossible and makes me want to see how Teen Titans #1 is going to turn out.

Superboy was another book that I just wasn't sure about until I saw the online preview of the first couple of pages. The cover really does a poor job of showing off just how vibrant and clean the art is on the inside. Superboy's new costume, revealed on the final page, is awesome. It's just too bad there are so many images online that make Superboy look just terrible in the new DC Universe.

There's more to this book than the last page though. The whole thing is a fascinating character study of Superboy in the first few months of his life. Grown in a lab from a combination of Superman's DNA and a mysterious human donor's genetics, the new Superboy focuses his powers (and perception) on his psychic powers. I love how Superman is often depicted as being able to sense so much more than the average human of all that goes around him due to his super hearing and vision. Superboy has a similar level of perception but it appears to be due to his entire body being one big sensory organ on a scale we haven't seen before. This results in Superboy being a very interesting character. He feels a lot like a Man from Mars through out this first issue, and it's a really fresh take on the character.

Let's go back to the art to finish out this review. I'm an unabashed Invincible fanboy. He competes with Hellboy constantly for being one of the best developed characters outside of Marvel or DC. Superboy gives a very familiar, exciting feeling both due to him being a young hero and due to the art. Like I said before, it's a bright book with sharp, clean outlines of characters. This is the first thing I've read from R.B. Silva, and all I can say is that he blew me away. I now want to read everything the guy has ever drawn after reading Superboy #1. The two main female characters - which I'm assuming will be pulling Superboy between the two different ends of his personality spectrum - are drawn quite differently and are never simply eye candy for the reader to enjoy. Silva draws them to appear competent and ass-kicking in their respective specialties, and ultimately Superboy shows off way more skin than either of the girls ever do.

I put off reading Superboy this week for me last comic because I honestly wasn't very excited about it. Boy am I pleasantly surprised. I'm shocked to say that I enjoyed reading this even more than Batwoman. Out of all the books I've picked up for the New 52, Superboy has me most excited to read on a month-to-month basis. I'm putting a lot of stock into the book and now know what it feels like to be nervous about the survival of my favorite little book. As an X-men fan from the 90's, I've read a ton of Scott Lobdell, and I can very easily say this is the best thing I've ever read from him. This even beats out my previous all-time favorite Lobdell story in the Age of Apocalypse Generation Next storyline.

Whereas Batwoman #1 is the book I'd recommend to experience readers as the first New 52 issue to pull them into the relaunch, Superboy #1 is the book I'd recommend to the new reader or reader who wants to get back into comics after years of being away. It's good, it's tight, and best of all, it introduces the reader to a great character without being repetitive or talking down to the reader. This is going to be a hard book to beat for the rest of the month, and is a great sign that the New 52 is going to continue to reveal some great hidden gems.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Had the chance to read superboy and there's definite potential.

Having said that: oh snappu x-force 15. I'm glad I've been following this book, because I almost dropped it and suddenly it's hitting its second stride and it's better than the previous reboot. I like this weird-ification. Like the x-factor throwback mini from a year ago meets Moebius slathered with pure Marvel.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Demon Knights was good this week, but I feel like the potential has yet to be lived up to. I'm enjoying it, but I think that it is going to get a lot, lot better.

Which means my MotW was Journey into Mystery, which was frankly fantastic and gave an insight to Marvel's cosmology that was really interesting.

• Options
    I've only read JIM 627 and FI: Monkey King so far but I doubt anything is going to beat Mephisto just destroying Nightmare to manipulate him into doing what will benefit this luxuriantly-sideburned devil.

Monkey King was ... disappointing. So fuck you all for suggesting it.

BTW, Last week's MOTW was Mr. Hyde eating Zemo's stolen fish demons as they invaded Chicago.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    ASM continues to be just a fun read and the best 616 Spidey has been in a long time. I'm also enjoying Carley as the love interest.

• Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    Monkey King was ... disappointing. So fuck you all for suggesting it.

You just shut up, I'm still pissed about that... He coulda been so damn cool. He coulda been Monkey from Monkey Magic!!!

Turned out he's just an unfunny ass.

Luckily Uncanny X-force was extra good this week to make up for it

galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    Fuck you. Or rather fuck Marvel and everyone else who made it.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Man Monkey King was perfectly fun

even if you didn't love it it was hardly a terrible book, stop being a silly goose

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Man Monkey King was perfectly fun

even if you didn't love it it was hardly a terrible book, stop being a silly goose
    For the first time in weeks, I find myself in agreement with Blank.

That book was really fun.

The only disappointing thing, is that it sets up a bunch of story possibilities we'll never see.

• Options
    Munch we may disagree lately but you still a cool dude

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    You're a pretty swell fella too, Blank.

• Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    We're all the best of friends.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Batman & Robin #1 and Superboy #1 were both great setups for characters I would like to follow. Though I did find myself thinking "Is that all?" at the conclusion of both books (so few comic pages, so many advertising ones :P )

So many Marvel books not purchased, crying shame of the week.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote:
    I didn't say it was terrible. I said it was disappointing. I demand a certain level of efficiency in my stories (which is why I can't stand Bendis), and Monkey King failed in that regard.

• Options
    Fuck you. Or rather fuck Marvel and everyone else who made it.
    Saying

FUCK EVERYONE INVOLVED IN THE MAKING OF THIS COMIC BOOK

is pretty similar to saying it is terrible

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I'm with Solar, Journey into Mystery was the best of my pull. As someone who loves mythology it really was the greatest thing of the week for me.
    All the differing versions of devils gathered around the empty throne of Satan was just great.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    Herc #1; Hercules gains spider-powers, and realizes that depressed monologues atop gargoyles are for lesser Spider-Men.
    NUU2A.jpg

Ba6jR.jpg

Daredevil #3; Matt Murdock also realizes that depressed monologues atop gargoyles suck, and Foggy demonstrates genre awareness.
    lRlOg.jpg

• Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    I know we're only 3 issues in, but Daredevil has been kicking some serious ass.

My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    On Monkey King, "unfunny ass" may have been a tad harsh. If it'd been the first issue in a mini or a series I would have been far less disappointed. It's just...
    Munch wrote:
    it sets up a bunch of story possibilities we'll never see.

... what he said. But I suppose once the character is made, he can show up anywhere now. Fingers crossed.

Edit: And yes, Daredevil is cheery, pretty and fun. In short, worth every penny. The art on The Spot and Klaw impresses the balls outta me.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    Oh, boy. Why have I never used that line? In both our cases it is technically true.

Oh, right. Because I'm horrible with women.