As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Single computer causing network crashes

ZalinZalin Registered User regular
Hey, I've been having troubles the last couple days with my network, and it seems to be my main gaming computer that is the source. Or at least how the router is handling it. No settings were changed since the last time it was working correctly.
Router is an Asus RT-N16 (which has been in use for less than 2 months), factory firmware, and the network card in this machine is an Asus pce-n13 (probably just over a year old). Most recent firmware and drivers are installed.
Basically, while this computer is connected, the network randomly decides to disconnect everything, wired and wireless. My dad was home all day today with no issues, while my computer was sleeping, and the instant my computer woke he was disconnected. Often when I reconnect I am immediately disconnected again. On rare occasion I am disconnected from the internet (with no indication of it) but not from the network while other computers still have net access.

I've given my computer a dedicated network IP. Not sure what other info would be useful.

I'm thinking maybe try some other router firmware. What is the preferred one? Tomato/DDWRT? This a bad idea and I should be able to fix it without this?

Just looking for any ideas, thanks.

Steam: Zalin Drelan | PSN: Aragorn566
Zalin on

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    I would throw DD-WRT on there. Asus routers have terrible firmware.

I would set both computers up to have Static IPs from the router (and outside the DHCP range) first though. Don't just use the windows config thing to make your computer request an IP address.

steam_sig.png