Options

[recommend me] DS games

JarsJars Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Games and Technology
hey dudes I'm about to finish the last chapter in justice for all so I am looking around for new DS games. Right now I have:

DQ9
pokemon platinum and SS
megaman ZX(I have the GBA already as well)
phoenix wright: justice for all
advanced wars DS
luminous arc
golden sun
clash of heroes
super scribblenauts
portrait of ruin
radiant historia

Right now I'd say I want some sort of job system RPG most. If there was another game with as much customization as DQ9 and as good that would be great, but any sort of strategy/platformer/generally good games would do! I heard the FF3 port had a revamped and extensive job system?

also some stuff I've got my eye on already or am not planning on getting are black/white, ace attourney, days of ruin, dawn of sorrow/order of ecclesia, FF4(played snes version).

Jars on

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Four Warriors of Light is pretty fun and has a neat job system, so is FF 3. If I really though about it I could add a dozen more JRPGs to that list.

Also FF IV DS, despite having nearly the same plot and structure as every other version of FF IV is also at the same time a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAME. Many, including myself, think it is the superior version of the game.

The World Ends With You is definitely in your wheelhouse though and is easily one of the best games on the system.

You also didn't mention the other DQ games. IV is awesome and kinda unique, V is one of the best RPGs ever released and VI has an interesting job system.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Infinite Space.

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    Job system RPG? Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2. I've poured over 200 hours into it since I got it, and while it has some minor balance issues it's a great game wit ha ton of playability.

33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Etrian Odyssey.
    Etrian Odyssey 2.
    Etrian Odyssey 3.

oh and for good measure, Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    FF3 has a pretty great job system, and Tactics Advanced 2 is solid. I'd also second the recommendation for Infinite Space because that game is pretty amazing, though the combat is a bit shallow.

You ever tried the Megaman Battle Network games for GBA? They're incredibly solid rpgs with a lot of customization in the last part of the series (3-6). Star Force, the sequel DS series has a decent 1st game and awesome 3rd game though the 2nd game is just terrible.

Rune Factory 3: A Fantasy Harvest Moon is a great RPG if you like crop growing along with your monster slaying, though you can pretty much focus on whichever interests you more. 3 has a fantastic battle system and a cast of pretty likable characters, plus the regular Harvest Moon stuff is a great diversion from the dungeon crawls and such.

You should probably also look into Ghost Trick, The World Ends With You, Mario&Luigi: Bowser's inside Story, Fire Emblem and any other Mario game released for the system if you're looking for the best strategy/RPG/Platformers on the DS.

• Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    Yeah, Dragon Quest 6 is a really safe choice.
    For that matter, if you Phoenix Wright you really should get Ghost Trick as well.

I think the FF remakes on DS are lackluster. They simply feel very slow to play, and the graphics are an abomination. Someone else mentioned the Shiren series, which is an excellent introduction to the roguelike genre. Also, Rhythm Tengoku is a great piece of software.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    etrian odyssey is basically a create 5 guys then go dungeon crawling?

what

what have you done

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    EO2 was nightmarishly hard. I never finished it and was unwilling to play 3.

If you have a DSi XL, Knights in the Nightmare. Learning curve is steep, but it's really good.

All three Castlevanias are wonderful. Each one blows away the one before it though, so it's best to play them in order. I sold the first two and kept the last, because the last is perfection.

CV: Dawn of Sorrow is a direct sequel to Aria of Sorrow. You play as Soma, who picks up weapons like Alucard, and absorbs the powers of monsters he defeats.

CV: Portrait of Ruin has you tag teaming Jonathan Morris (son of Quincey :D) and black mage Charlotte Aulin during WW2 who fight real life artist Victor Brauner, who for some reason is now a vampire who has hijacked the castle. The castle is easier to navigate and the combat is lightning fast, to the point I could not go back to DoS.

CV: Order of Ecclesia is so unbelievably perfect it was the only one I was not willing to part with. It stars Shanoa, who is the sexiest thing since sex, and is hands down the fastest warrior in the history of any CV I've ever played. She absorbs glyphs that allow weapons and magic to manifest in her hands, allowing for huge combinations of magic. Or you can always put the same thing in each hand for rapid attacking and go ORAORAORA to your heart's delight. This game is balls hard compared to the others as well. Just talking about it makes me want to pull out the DS and watch the intro with headphones.

A new CV would probably be the only thing that gets me to buy a 3DS.

EDIT - You played PoR. Okay good. Keep up the good work :D

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    hadokenhadoken Registered User regular
    The mario RPG where they go inside Bowser's belly is really good.