As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bizarre itch problem.

DrezDrez Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So I have this, uh, weird medical problem. Before you say "go to teh doctorz!!!" please just hear me out and let me know if you have any thoughts on the situation.

So, about a month and a half ago I got a severe sunburn on my upper body, especially on my shoulders. My left shoulder was hit the worst.

It eventually peeled and healed as all sunburns do. I went through a period of severe itching that drove me up a fucking wall for over a week, but that finally went away.

But now, so much later, I still have an itch. But it's ONLY on my left shoulder and it's ONLY at certain times during the day. Specifically, around 5-6 AM and then it will go away.

It's so itchy that it will wake me up if I am not awake or keep me up if I am. It doesn't matter if I am sitting at my computer playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution, or sound asleep in bed dreaming about Sailor Moon...same spontaneous itchiness.

I am confused:

a) Why would it still be itchy, this long after the sunburn?
b) Why would it only itch in one area?
c) Why would it only itch for one hour, and one specific hour every morning?

I feel like my body is trolling me.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
Drez on

• Options
    Kuroi OokamiKuroi Ookami Registered User regular
    It could just be coincidence? Are you on any medications? I've been on some where side effects include itching. I also have one leg that gets scratched up pretty bad in my sleep at times if I don't keep my toe nails trimmed right down, I don't know why it's that one leg, but I suffer from restless leg syndrome so assume it's that. I also had an awful itch that woke me omg need to scratch it NOW itch that turned out to be part of my liver having 'issues' that were later discovered by a blood test and an ultrasound, but that itch was more confined to the abdominal area.

After the sunburn, did the hairs in the area seem to grow back in properly? It might be a bit of a stretch but maybe the hair is causing the itching.

It seems odd that you can set a time frame to it though. I'd go see a dermatologist, make sure everything is in order. The sun can do some pretty harmful things to our body/skin. Oh, that reminds me to ask, have any moles developed in or around the area recently? If so, you really need to see a dermatologist to get that checked out.

3DS (Topaz) 3351-4061-2929
    Wii U Topazfalcon (yes I play MH3U, preferably with a headset/mic usage)
    Let me know if you add me on either.
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    I have moles that itch.

It's bening melanomes according to my docter.

Unless they start growing/changing very rapidly he said not to worry. Hell one of them scabs once a year. freaked me right the fuck out, but still i needed to just make sure it stayed roughly the same shape and size.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Just off the top of my head the two that come to mind are photosensitivity/lupus and brachioradial pruritis.

Go to a doctor, obviously, I'm not one and diagnosing over the internet is either to not solve it or scare you shitless. Could just be an allergic reaction, maybe you have dermatitis from a new soap/shampoo/whatever. If it's an allergic reaction a benadryl should lesson the symptoms, and an aloe cream might help for the time being.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    It may be something simple like a fungal infection easily cleared up by a prescription cream, but please do see a doctor. There's no reason to try to gut out something as annoying as skin irritation when a cheap prescription will clear it up in a couple of days.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Assuming you do weird things with mirrors, can you see anything there?

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    TerraTerra Registered User regular
    Eczema? It can be triggered by an event like sunburn and doesn't necessarily have a rash. The every day at a certain time thing is weird though. I'm curious to find out what that could be about.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I would bet on Eczema. Lotion it up good for a few days.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Terra wrote:
    Eczema? It can be triggered by an event like sunburn and doesn't necessarily have a rash. The every day at a certain time thing is weird though. I'm curious to find out what that could be about.
    JebusUD wrote:
    Yeah, I would bet on Eczema. Lotion it up good for a few days.

Actually, I do have eczema for my hands. Would that make me more prone to having dormant shoulder eczema? (That sounds silly, but whatever. :))

ceres wrote:
    Assuming you do weird things with mirrors, can you see anything there?

I do see some pimples and some very tiny brownish spots, but not enough to justify this massive itch. Like some nights I literally feel like setting my shoulders on fire just to spite them.

Others that responded earlier: Thank you for the advice and all that. I am uninsured at the moment so doctors are expensivito but as a last ditch I guess I'll go if other methods don't work.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    TerraTerra Registered User regular
    If you're already got eczema, the odds of you having it some place else are very high! Look forward to more and more spots as you get older. :)

Do you shower at the same time every day? That could be causing a delayed reaction and irritate your spot. If you shower like clockwork, then you'd also itch like clockwork.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    I do see some pimples and some very tiny brownish spots,

Yeah.... you might want to get those looked at. Melanoma is one of the most aggressive cancers.