As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4th Ed Recruitment] 'Point of Light' Seeks Healer/Leader (CLOSED)

susansusan Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Critical Failures
UPDATE: Recruitment currently suspended/closed; please see game thread pg 70 (http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/119053/dnd-4e-a-point-of-light-act-iv-the-new-world/p70) for details. Thank you everyone for your interest!

Hello Loyal CFers! My 'A Point of Light' DnD 4th Edition Campaign on these forums here (First Page, Latest Page) seeks a replacement Healer/Leader for their adventuring party to join up in the next couple weeks or so. Currently, our intrepid adventurers are stranded on an unknown wild continent, dodging Dragons and Dragonborn and Goblins and Pit Traps all while questing to find the mysterious artifacts that can be used to slay the evil Lich Lord Ladroc and his Vampire minions.

Storyline wise, the new character should probably be from this new continent, but it's a fairly metropolitan place species-wise if a little on the feral end of things civilization wise. Specific storyline details can be worked out throughout this thread, and I'll try to be as lenient as possible to allow for maximum creativity. Level is currently 5, with level appropriate starting gear availability. Please ask whatever questions you may have and I shall do my best to address them :) . Submission of Interest will be open at least until this Friday, December 9th at 11:59pm with finished character sheets and concepts due within a few days after that. I'm asking for about a paragraph of backstory so I can get a feel for your characters, their backgrounds, and your writing styles. I am only looking for one character, but reserve the right to recruit two if I feel like it.

Good luck!

2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
susan on

• Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Mmm...interested. Currently in a few games here and have read the entire IC thread for this game. Have my heart set on playing a pixie next, and in fact just whipped up a level 5 one in anticipation of the dungeon siege posted. If a pixie won't work I can certainly cook something else up though!

• Options
    *shrug* I could make a Pixie work :) .

• Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    How about a Saytr? Caught a glimmer of inspiration as I was worried about the pixie. A traveling priest of Correlon spreading his word through song! He's half built already, and the backstory has written itself.

• Options
    Sure!

• Options
    Walking through the forests always put Tumnus at ease. It was here that he could best commune with his deity. Unfortunately, it was also here he found the least number of unbelievers to share his word with! Oh what he wouldn't give for a fine group to share his travels with. At least then there would always be an ear to hear his songs. "Oh the brave and true may fall by the sword, or their bodies grow weak and old, but the lessons they teach will always go forward, wherever their stories are told." Humming the next verse, he continued down the path. Perhaps a path to glory!

For your consideration, we present to you "Tumnus" a Saytr of the Bardish persuasion. As a young lad his natural gift for words led him more or less into...trouble. It wasn't until he found peace in the ways of Corellon that the spark of adventure took him. Now he seeks out any he can to spread the word. He takes no offense to the religion of others, unless they be vile. Vileness and evil are against nature! The brave and true valorous defenders will rise up and overthrow the shackles of evil! Tumnus just wants to help. If you he could play a major part, well that would be swell too. For now, he seeks companions.

"Oh the brave and the true fight again and again,
    never a falter or doubt,
    for the brave and the true will throw off evil's chain,
    a bring this world right side 'bout."

• Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    Pssst...Anialos...none of us in the current party have Backgrounds or Themes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm, leaders. I'll see if I can't work something up.

Before I read the 'healer' part I was like "Oh hey, I've been knocking around a Vampire concept in my head and...oh...the party's set to kill sir Vampire and his Vampire minions, yea said party would be just likely to lynch me immediately."

I gather from dresden's interjection to not pick a Theme?

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Aegis wrote:
    I gather from dresden's interjection to not pick a Theme?

Probably not :) .

• Options
    daniantdaniant Columbus, OhioRegistered User regular
    If Tumnus becomes part of our party, my character is always going to call him Mr. Tumnus. Just because.

• Options
    Ah! I can fix that, not a problem, he's keeping the flavor from it though =p.

• Options
    Fixed.

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    I once had a flight instructor named Norman Perfect. No lie. He kept telling me to call him Norman.

I couldn't do it.

• Options
    daniant wrote:
    If Tumnus becomes part of our party, my character is always going to call him Mr. Tumnus. Just because.

This is fully my intent. Although I was tempted to go with philatedes.

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    The assembled tieflings shifted and fidgeted impatiently before the towering menhirs that bordered the circle of well-trod ground. The delay was intended of course, meant to build anticipation among the tribe, but for Jorne it only frayed his nerves further. Tearing his eyes from the raised stone platform that his son would soon step onto, he glanced back to where the chief sat among his harem, seemingly nonchalant about the judgement he was due to make on the life of a young tribesman.

A hush fell suddenly as a gangly tiefling, face obscured by an unruly mop of hair, stepped onto the huge dais, which in turn was dwarfed by the thunder stones that flanked it. The throng was deathly silent now as a tremulous voice spoke from somewhere beneath the tangled locks.

"Uh, hey. I'm Rorne Vazant."

Rorne's father, like the rest of the crowd, watched silently in the few moments it tooks the boy to unsling his axe and, cradling it upside down, begin to pluck at the strands of lightning that had formed on it's blade. An echoing screech tore the silence, evoking murmurs and sniggers from the crowd. If Rorne was embarassed, it did not show as the boy became a sudden blur of motion.

Electricity flew wildly, arcing into the thunderstones before the young bard harnessed them into one of his clan's traditional ballads. Jorne stood dumbstruck as the tribe exploded into cheers, howling and waving over the din. When the noise died down to a bearable level the tribe turned as one to face their chief. Rising from his throne, the muscled tiefling looked impassively at the performer. For a moment, against everything, it seemed Rorne would be condemned to death.

But before Jorne's mind could race any further, the salute came. The horned fist, the symbol of the tribe. The symbol of his child's freedom. Jorne wiped tears away, repeating the salute along with his tribesmen.

I realise there's already a horned bard submission, and that an electric axe wielding metal bard has probably been done before, but I thought this'd be fun.

• Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    Oooh, I am a big fan this campaign susan.

I had rolled up a warforged cleric of waukeen for another campaign that fell through. He is sort of a robotic combination of adam smith and two-face. He believes that everybody benefits from playing their part in developing economically and building wealth. He also believes luck to be guidance from his god and flips his holy symbol, a coin, when he needs to make a difficult decision. He also appears to have a gambling addiction, but in actuality he thinks gambling is his god's way of purposefully redistributing wealth. I had made it a warforged so he didn't have to eat and so could afford to be broke continuously. If a warforged clashes with your setting I could transmogrify him into something more acceptable.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    xGRUJ.jpg

Lorne, Ardent of the Joybringer

"It is not enough for you to know what you are doing is right," Lorne proclaims atop the trunk of a fallen tree surrounded by worried onlooking men and women of all ages, "Nor is it sufficient that you head out in the coming morning wanting to succeed and rescue your loved ones. Desire and knowledge both tell the Gods that you are not committed to the trials that will come your way. That you do not give the path that they have led before you the proper respect, nor does it show you that you understand even your most basic and powerful advantages over the undead standing in your way."

Lorne pauses in his speech for a moment, letting his words sink into the crowd while some among them start to murmur in trepidation as they reassess their earlier commitments to the coming battle. "I have seen the outcome of this battle," he interjects into their thoughts, leaving the statement to hang in the air and pierce their misgivings, "Not through fortune-telling, or magic, or visions gifted to me by the Divine. How have I seen such a thing then? I have seen it in each and every one of you as you toil within these woods. From the parents worried over the fate of their children to the son wondering if he will ever see his father again. All of you are filled with love for each other and hope for the future even in this dark age. These simple truths cannot be stolen from you and all of you are aware of that. They may parade the bodies of friends and family around in some grotesque display of unholy power but the ability to take away the memories of how much you meant and still mean to each other is forever beyond their grasp.

So stand up and remember how much each of you love each other. Turn that love into the belief that you will see each other again: that you will smash through the ranks of the decaying and see hope shine upon the faces of those trapped within your town!"

The crowd roars as their misgivings are washed away, praising the happy memories brought back through the man's speech and focusing those feelings into a compulsion to succeed. "Do you really think they'll succeed," one village elder asks in between uplifting chants that have gripped the crowd while Lorne hops down from the trunk and follows the moving mass of people out of the trees and into the light, "They're facing down countless undead."

"They already know in their hearts that they've won, that their cause is just and inevitable, and that they go to rescue people who fill their souls with joy. They go with joy to face down those whose souls are empty, twisted, and barren. They have won."

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Alkey42Alkey42 Registered User regular
    That half-elf needs a handlebar mustache.

• Options
    IlliantharIllianthar GMT -0700Registered User regular
    Cariosus – Wilden Shaman
    Cariosus.png

The underbrush around you starts to crackle and move, twisting and writhing until it forms itself into a roughly humanoid shape. The shape is hunched and gangly, a mottled mass of browns, yellows and green. Vines and branches, some cracked and broken, wind and bend together to form the arms, legs and torso of the being. One of the creature's eyes glows a pale yellow while the other is missing completely leaving only a socket which is crushed and mangled.

The form shambles forth, more on all fours than upright. Out of the corner of your eye you also notice a large, ethereal stag move soundlessly out of the forest. It canters forward gingerly, staying close to the withered form. The wilden acknowledges it with reverence, a look of peace coming over his face, then turns his one good eye in your direction.

"The forest is hurting. Its verdant greens have been burned and broken by those that rule this land. Weeds and fungus, choking the land and destroying the balance; they need to be purged.

Cariosus,"
    he says, gesturing to himself, "came to this place with his grove to battle the infestation. His grove battled against the decaying forces but their fire and steel were too much, and the grove was destroyed, leaving only Cariosus and the spirits of the forest. Cariosus failed to protect the grove. Now Cariosus seeks a new grove, full of saplings that he can tend; saplings that will grow to mighty oaks and crush those that defile the forest. Perhaps he has found what he seeks?"

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I'm not going to apply because, well, I probably would stop posting after a week or two, but if anyone wants to borrow (or not), I thought I had a pretty fun concept.

A noble Eladrin Artificer who was lost in an expedition in the jungle some large number of years ago. Think Robinson Crusoe. Scraggly beard, dreaded hair, lots of inventions made out of vines and general jungle detritus. Alchemical creations from random plants and animal products. And top it off with the one thing he talked to all these years, his familiar (maybe named Wilson for ultimate referencing power).

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    If I didn't already have Mr. Tumnus submitted I'd totally put that together @Wassermelone.