Options

DnD Player Gift ideas

FrankThePalmFrankThePalm Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Critical Failures
Hi,
My brother in law is about to start a DnD campaign and I wanna give him something for christmas.
I saw my local comic store carries a lot of books on DnD ,but they all seem to be for DM's. And he is just a player. I'm not familiar with this scene, so I'd appreciate your help.
Any questions I should ask him (it's a surprise) before I buy him something? Any recommended items or books?
I'm looking to spend around $50
Thanks a bunch.

FrankThePalm on

• Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    One way to go is to get him a nice set of dice and a nice bag to keep them in. There are oodles of places on the Internet to find neat dice.

• Options
    SakutianSakutian Registered User regular
    Something I always want as a player is a nice figure to use for my character, but I never have the money to buy anything decent. FOr fifty dollars I bet you could find him a pretty nice figure and he would have nerd bragging rights.

My Games

Dresden Files RPG- Dumb Luck

Playing Phillip Hess in Motor City Blues

GM of M&M "And Justice For All."
    GM of Dresden Files Low Life
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Into the Unknown
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Lost Hope- Concluded
    GM of Star Wars Sagas the Dark Times- Concluded.
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Jabba's Palace- Concluded due to injury.
    Bart Allen/ The Flash in M&M Metropolis- Concluded.
    Koyi Disturbances in the Force- Concluded.
    Jessup Owlbeard Forge of the Dawn Titan- Withdrawn due to injury.
    Sal Mander In the Shadow of Zeus- Concluded.
    Zevoto in Out in the Black- Withdrawn due to injury.
    GM of Wyvern Watch
    Berru Secune in Rise of the Jedi
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    A good dice set is a great idea, may be too late to get him a custom set but maybe a gift certificate to one of the customized dice places and he can pick his own?
    A good felt or leather bag (or a good sized tin) to hold the dice in is another thing that I'd recommend. Dice love to get lost if they're not kept caged. And D4's in particular have a bloody mindedness that compels them to lay in wait where bare feet can find them in the middle of the night.

Don't get him the campaign books (what you're most likely seeing at the FLGCS). If he's playing one of those campaigns it'll spoil the adventure, if he's not playing that adventure it won't help much at all (unless he plans to DM some day).
    Maybe a Players Handbook if he doesn't already have one. It goes through character creation and the rules of the game. Could be helpful for a player to have around particularly if they're new to the game. Chances are though that an experienced player already has the book, and has it memorized. So, don't know how much D&D he's played.

Personally, I'd be hesitant to pick up a miniature if you don't know what he's going to be playing as, and I've got no idea how you'd go about asking for specific character information without tipping him off.

TL,DR:
    Get him a nice dice bag and a gift certificate to Chessex so he can pick his own dice.

• Options
    FrankThePalmFrankThePalm Registered User regular
    I was thinking about the dice, but I think he already has a set. Is it too much to have two sets?
    I'll try to ask him about his race or class without giving the surprise away.
    Thanks for the replies. The nice bag and the dice are a good idea. Also it's good to know I can order customized ones.