As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Talk to me about... cognac

FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARDinterior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
edited June 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So in all the years I've been expanding my alcoholic horizons, one liquor that I've never actually touched has been cognac.

I understand that it's an aged brandy, and I hear it's well-liked by gentlemen of the gangsta rapper persuasion, but other than Humpty drinking up all the Hennessey I got on my shelf, I don't know much else.

About my tastes... I don't like to drink cheap liquor, but I don't see the point in wasting money on top-shelf (unless it's a scotch or something of that nature). $30-40 for a fifth is reasonable to me. My vodka is Grey Goose, my gin is Bombay Sapphire, my tequila is Patron Silver.

So... suggest brands, vintages, drinks, whatever. Edumacate me!

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
Feral on

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    VS stands for Very Special
    VSOP stands for Very Special Old Pale
    served in a snifter. nice to drink when it's cold outside, very warming.

I like Remy Martin VSOP. Oak-y.
    I'd never have drank the stuff, except D&B happy hour. wanted to drink the expensive stuff =)

Djeet on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think "Napoleon" or something is the highest grade.

It's very tasty to make pan-sauces with.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Courvoisier VSOP is great. The VS is more reasonably priced.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Goes really well with steak. I just finished a small bottle of V.S. Hennessy that was pretty good.

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • Options
    Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    an_alt wrote: »
    Courvoisier VSOP is great. The VS is more reasonably priced.

This is very true and I consider myself something of alcohol expert. I share your tastes on Gin, Vodka, and Tequila so hopefully you will share mine and an_alts on cognac. Also because you asked for information on it here is what is in my bartenders guide.

"Cognac is named after the region it is produced in and covers two departments in western France. Inland Charente and coastal Charente maritime. Cognac is a small town close to the border between the two. First among cognac's entrepreneurs was Jean Martell, a jersey born opportunist who in 1715 turned away from a life of crime (smuggling) in order to found the house that still bears his name. Other leading brands are Hennessy, Courvoisier, Hine, Otard, and Remy Martin. The relative quality of cognacs depend on the length of time they have been aged. No appellation controlee cognac (one that is made in France) may be blended from spirits less than two years old. (also the minimum age of real bourbon) At the bottom rung of the classification is VS (designated by 3 stars on the label) which may contain brandies as young as three years old. The next stage up is VSOP or very special old pale. Which comes from the 19th century British term. This is five star cognac because the youngest spirit has spent at least 5 years in a barrel. Those congacs blended from minimum six-year old spirits may be entitled XO. or given one of the producers own designations Reserve, extra, cordon bleu, paradis or classically Napoleon, SO named because the bottles once contained brandies aged since Bonaparte's day. The oldest cognacs generally come in something that looks like a giant perfume bottle fashioned in cut crystal and presented in a silk lined box."

That should help with the history or just go to wikipedia.

As for cognac itself once you get it.

Fine cognac should be drunk just as it comes without mixers and or ice. It is traditionally served in balloon glasses that allow room for swirling. The aromas are better appreciated in something resembling a large liqueur glass. which mutes the prickle of the spirit. The bouquet is also encouraged by a gentle warming of the glass in the hand.

For me personally just like scotch you dont need the best of the best to get something really great. VSOP is just fine. Unless you have been drinking brandy for years you will most likely not notice the difference between Courvoisier VSOP or XO except the 70$ price difference.

Like was said earlier it has a great warming affect to it like drinking whiskey neat. So in the evening before bed or in winter its great. Cognac unlike other strong spirits has an amazing smell. You can almost drink it through your nose in a balloon glass.

Most liquor stores will sell smaller bottles of the major brands VS variety. (the boot kicker size) I recommend you buy 2 or 3 and find which you like most and then get that labels VSOP. you will notice a slight difference like that between say the 12 and 18 year Glenlevit scotch. Its not that the VS is bad the VSOP is just better.

hope that helps

Limp moose on
  • Options
    Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Also I forgot to mention if you are going to be drinking brandy This is one of my favorite drinks.

Sidecar
    The Original from Harry's Bar - Paris

1 1/2 oz. Brandy
    1/2 oz. Triple Sec
    1/2 oz. Lemon or Lime Juice

Combine all the ingredients in a shaker filled with ice, shake well and strain into a cocktail glass.

It tastes great and is a good summer drink. Although I do not recommend using VSOP cognac in this as it is better left neat.

And lastly as this is sort of a pet peeve of mine if you do buy a nice bottle of any distilled spirit know that it does not age in that bottle. Anything that is distilled does its aging in a barrel not a bottle. It trades alcohol and volume for flavor from the wood. Its called the angels share in Scotch and has many other names. Don't let someone fool you with the bottle of scotch they got at graduation 10 years ago. its not 24 years old now. It is stale 14 year old scotch.

Limp moose on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    B&B (Benedictine and Brandy) has some lovely sweet butterscotch tones with a touch of fruit. I like a couple of shots to swirl around after an omigoshiamsofull meal.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Part of the reason I'm getting into cognac now is because I bought some amaretto to experiment with Flaming Dr. Peppers (and I sometimes like amaretto over ice) and I wanted to give the French Connection a try. But I also want something that I'll enjoy drinking straight.

Thanks for the recommendations, guys.

One last thing. Courvoisier VSOP is not rated on BevMo, but Remy Martin VSOP has a rating of 90. Anybody drink Remy Martin?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    b0bd0db0bd0d Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I like Meukow for special drunk nights. That's the only one I know by name beside what's already been mentioned. I usually just buy whatever looks good. But then again, I drink Paul Masson and E&J...so...you know. Although I like the E&J XO. Christian brothers makes a cognac but I don't really like it.
    Hell my man, just go ta the store and start trying stuff. I'm going to buy one of those $100+ bottles one day just to see what it's like.

b0bd0d on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've had Remy Martin before. I don't really know much about cognac though. It was...ok? It seems like it's got an interesting flavor but Cognac is too expensive for mixing (which is what I prefer to do). Grand Marnier would be much cheaper and still have a nice taste.

I think the top 3 brands are Remy Martin, Martell and Hennessey so those would be the ones to check out to see what Cognac is all about. I feel the same about Cognac as I do about Scotch. The liquors certainly have complex and exotic flavors, but they aren't necessarily flavors I want to drink often.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    May I present his lordship, Louis XIII -

LXIII%20Pedesta%20AAAl.jpg

The Bentley of cognac. I have had but one, and only one, taste. I was quite impressed, and I fucking hate cognac. I'm not expecting you to rush out and get some, but if for whatever reason you can, I strongly suggest you at least try it.

Shogun on