Options

Modem, Computer, or ISP??

Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
Hey all -

So I've had this same modem I was leasing from Cox communications forever until they stopped charging for it, a WebStar modem for nearly six years now. I have my house set up on a wireless network with a couple tablets and laptops and my computer is plugged directly into the modem.

Lately, while playing TOR and I remember having these same issues when I played WOW, I am constantly losing connection and being disconnected to whatever server I'm playing on. At first I thought it was my ISP being crappy, but everything else on my wireless still works when I get disconnected from the server. I tried the cheapest option at first and replaced my cable running from the modem to the computer which seemed to help for about a week or so and now I am back to all these disconnects.

What does it sound like? Someone told me modems last two years tops, which I've never heard before now....any suggestions?

I should add I called my ISP who offered to come out and look at my connections but if there is nothing wrong on their end, I get charged $50 which sucks.

steam_sig.png
Romero Zombie on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Well if you don't get disconnected from anything else you can safely say it's not any infrastructure that's causing the problem.

At that point it can either be terrible connection to the server (happens independent of the hardware involved because of the nature of the internet) or the ISP is just shitty and has shitty connections (Cox/Comcast are the biggest offenders of this).

Modems last until they break. I've had mine for 5 years now. My router is probably pushing 12. There probably isn't anything wrong with the connectors either, it's probably entirely router/modem/packet/packet shaping/filtering/TOR server being shitty nonsense, and completely out of your control. It could also be their software didn't install properly too. Do a fresh install. I know WoW has periods where ISP backbones will filter their traffic and they have to bribe people to get it to work properly or some other nonsense like that.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    Fresh install of the modem? I don't recall installing any software for it...I am rebuilding my pc this weekend with windows 7 so we will see what that does...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    Try running a ping window (winkey+R, type in 'ping www.google.com -t', hit return) and next time you get disconnected, alt-tab out of the game and see if you just had 'request timed out' come up as a response in said window.

Sometimes when an ISP is acting up, you'll briefly lose and regain a connection, and get tossed out of a game. It can happen fast enough that everything still seems to work fine when you try using a browser or whatever after you've been disconnected.

It's also really easy for ISPs to miss the connection issue, given that your connection is likely to work fine for the brief amount of time they actually test it.

Erik
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Fresh install of your MMO software.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me