As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

High pitched sound coming from speakers/headphones

FugaFuga Registered User regular
Does this mean that the motherboard is effed?

It's kind of weird because everything else works perfectly, but putting speakers or headphones in (both front and back) and you can only hear the beeeeeeeep sound and a very tiny amount of actual sound.

Fuga on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I'm having a little trouble understanding your post: do the speakers and headphones play a BEEEEEEEP instead of t he normal sound, or is this a sound coming from the actual hardware?

• Options
    It's coming from the speakers/headphone. And there's the beeeeep and you can very slightly hear the normal sound (with volume turned ALL THE WAY up).

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    That sounds... weird. I would mess around with your audio drivers (uninstall and reinstall) before diagnosing a hardware issue. Alternatively try booting into a copy of Linux on a USB drive or something to see if it's a software issue.

• Options
    Oh yeah this happened after changing the power supply and videocard.
    I've tried messing with the drivers, no luck.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Is the sound you're getting an actual system noise, or is it more like interference?

it's possible for video cards and hard drives and probably other components to give off electronic noise that can get picked up by the wires that go into your headphone jack.

I had this happen to a computer long ago after I installed a new video card, and I was able to fix it by moving the card to another slot and using some ties to route the cables to the headphone jack away from it. This may or may not work in your case.

You can also apparently get shielded cables, but I don't know anything about those.

faux ed: also if you're plugging things into multiple head phone jacks, it's possible your sound card thinks one of those is a microphone or something (thereby generating feedback.)

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't have a sound card, nor a microphone.
    I tried putting the old vcard back, still had the sound. And I have only one PCIE slot.

Oh and if I turn computer system sounds all the way down, it doesn't affect the high pitched sound at all.

It's just super weird that if it's a motherboard problem, that everything else works great.

Fuga on
  • Options
    pricerpricer Registered User regular
    OK, could be a magnetic shielding or interference issue:
    first of all remove any non-essential electronic devices (namely phone) away to discount any GSM buzz
    try another pair of speakers/headphones
    move speaker cables away from other cables
    inspect case and drive bays for any openings (could be letting wireless signals into case or signals could be trapped)
    move pc to a different location (move on floor if on desk - vice versa)
    move speakers around

also, if the whine changes pitch when you move mouse around it's down to the USB controller - try googling "USB hissing/whining"

76561197967313421.png