As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Painting an Xbox 360 Guitar Hero controller

Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Does anyone know where I could find a good guide to doing this?

I've wanted to take on this project for quite some time now, and I've only been able to find one not so stellar guide that informed me that, unfortunately, the electronics of the situation are mounted on the front face plate, so I'm looking for an in depth guide on disassembling and reassembling the controller.

Artistically I have the painting portion of this project under control, I just need a very good step by step on dealing with the electronics.

twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
Captain Vash on

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Does anyone know where I could find a good guide to doing this?

I've wanted to take on this project for quite some time now, and I've only been able to find one not so stellar guide that informed me that, unfortunately, the electronics of the situation are mounted on the front face plate, so I'm looking for an in depth guide on disassembling and reassembling the controller.

Artistically I have the painting portion of this project under control, I just need a very good step by step on dealing with the electronics.

Try
    http://www.gearboxity.com/content/view/204/38/

Yeah, there's stuff on the front panel, but it doesn't look all that hard. YMMV.

evilmrhenry on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, I know how to use google, and that was the one and only guide I found.

I was hoping for something that went more in depth with it all.

Captain Vash on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    It just looks like a matter of unscrewing everything from the inside of the guitar. Keep all the screws in a ziplock bag, and if there are multiple different sizes, my advice is to give them names (A, B, C, D) and use a sharpie marker to mark on the inside of the guitar which screw goes in which hole. No one's gonna see the inside of the guitar once it's back together anyhow.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    That's actually really good advice.

I'm thinking that guide coupled with some extra precautions against loss of pieces, and I might be ready to give this thing a shot.

Captain Vash on
  • Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've got a pretty high mechanical aptitude, so take this with a grain of salt, but it looks like the controller comes apart pretty easily. I've taken apart plenty of other controllers and consoles, and the process is usually pretty simple. Most of the components are self-contained, by which I mean you don't have to fully dismantle the controller, you're just pulling out components. So, you're not gonna lose the spring in an analog stick, for example, because there's no need for you to full disassemble the analog stick component.

Anyway, that was overly wordy. Here are some tips:

~ Don't force things. If a part won't come out easily, there is probably a screw or tab that you missed.
    ~ The marking of screws is a good idea. I wouldn't worry about it until you come across 2 different types of screws. You'll probably find that they used all the same kind.
    ~ Buttons and such are a tight fit. If you paint the sides of the hole they fit in, they may not fit, or stick. You can either tape up the sides of the hole or get some very fine sandpaper to clean it up.
    ~ If there are places where a wire could get pinched when you reassemble the unit use a bit of tape to secure the wires on a path that will avoid this. A dab of hot glue also works.
    ~ If you get nervous, take pictures as you disassemble. You can refer to them if you get lost.

Good luck. You should put some pictures up when you get finished.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162