Options

[EAST] PAX East 2012 Easter Vigil?

MadmanMike83MadmanMike83 Registered User new member
edited October 2011 in PAX Archive
Despite what certain theories put forward by John Gabriel might say I figured I would take a risk and post this here. I was curious if any other potential Catholic PAX Easters were contemplating trying to attend an Easter Vigil in Boston on Saturday night (4/7). Post below or send me a message if you have any thoughts.

This is first time my two religions, Catholic and Geek, have come into conflict. :/

Moe Fwacky on

• Options
    jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    I'm an Episcipalian (guess you could call it Catholic light) and I have thought about this. I've alway attended mass either Sat. night or Sunday morning on Easter, and was kind of torn. However, the concerts on Sat. night have kind of pulled me in that direction. But I think a sunday morning service would be nice. That way, I could be back and have more time for other events before the end of PAX. Anyone else have any thoughts?

• Options
    mayapplemayapple TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    There are just short of 8 million Catholic churches in Boston. I lived (and still have family) just south of the city and was never more than three miles from a church. I know of at least 4 churches in the downtown area that should be having services. I am pretty sure there is one near the TD garden that would be an easy cab trek from the convention center. I am not one for vigils myself as they seem to last forever, but I would check out http://www.bostoncatholic.org/Parishes-And-People/Default.aspx?loc=Boston and I am sure you will find something.

Edit: because I am bored. The one I was thinking of near North Station is St. Joseph http://stjosephboston.com/. There also seem to be two very close, like within walking distance. Unfortunately, one does not have a website, and the other is in Lithuanian. http://www.stpeterparishboston.com/ This may not be a problem if you perhaps speak Lithuanian or don't mind a mass spoken in a foreign language.

Hope this helps.

mayapple on
    e6txb8m8cavf.png

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    i'm not particularly religious, but as a boston native thought i might suggest taking the opportunity to go to one of boston's historic and landmark churches. specifically, trinity church in copley square is beautiful and old north church is the famed location of paul revere's 'two if by sea' signal. both are episcopal and accessible by mbta.

http://www.trinitychurchboston.org
    http://www.oldnorth.com

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    cyntheticcynthetic Registered User regular
    I'm guessing "8 million" churches was an exaggeration... since there are less than 5 million people in the entire metropolitan area, and less than a million in the city proper.

• Options
    mayapplemayapple TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    cynthetic wrote:
    I'm guessing "8 million" churches was an exaggeration... since there are less than 5 million people in the entire metropolitan area, and less than a million in the city proper.

Yup. You're so smart. An exaggeration to represent the large amount of Catholic churches in the area in comparison to most cities. It is especially shocking to those not from New England. If I wanted to find a Catholic church in Nashville, where I live, you only have about 7 (not an exaggeration) in the entire metro area. Boston's Catholic population is very large in numbers and in buildings; hence the exaggeration to let him know that it should be easy to find a Catholic Easter Vigil Mass.

mayapple on
    e6txb8m8cavf.png

• Options
    SilverEternitySilverEternity Registered User regular
    My husband and I attended church on Sunday morning at the last PAX East and it was really easy to find a church close to our hotel: www.masstimes.org

I second whoever suggested Sunday morning instead of Easter Vigil. Easter Vigils can last well over two hours where Easter mass on Sunday is usually just over an hour. Plus PAX on Sunday seems to be the most low-key day.

• Options
    DrysilDrysil Registered User new member
    This seems like a nice way to marry the community spirit of PAX with the religious needs of the weekend. It's not my interest, but if a reasonable-sized group gets together, you might think of informing the pastor at the church you settle on -- his congregation may rather unexpectedly swell otherwise. :)

• Options
    LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    If there is a group going to a sunday mass nearby, I'd be down. Thanks for posting this up. I was a bit conflicted about Easter and PAX being on the same weekend too.

East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
  • Options
    ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    Lokiale wrote:
    If there is a group going to a sunday mass nearby, I'd be down. Thanks for posting this up. I was a bit conflicted about Easter and PAX being on the same weekend too.

Are you planning on coming to east?

1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    zeeklumpkinszeeklumpkins Registered User regular
    It would be worth it if there was a costume friendly service with all the PAXers in town....

• Options
    ukiyo e wrote:
    Lokiale wrote:

Are you planning on coming to east?

I've been sneaky about it but yes. =) Now stop setting Rory on fire.

2009 Omeganaut
  • Options
    FatherVenomFatherVenom Registered User regular
    Drysil wrote:
    This seems like a nice way to marry the community spirit of PAX with the religious needs of the weekend. It's not my interest, but if a reasonable-sized group gets together, you might think of informing the pastor at the church you settle on -- his congregation may rather unexpectedly swell otherwise. :)
    This is actually a very important point. Easter and Christmas are the two days of the year when people who don't normally attend go to church. You may find that there literally isn't space to accommodate a large group of out of towners. If this goes down you'll definitely need to call ahead.

• Options
    jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    Loki - There's a great Catholic Church right downtown (literally 4 min busride from the Westin) that has a pretty awesome traditional Mass, with modern music. I normally don't like modern music and love organs and oldschool stuff, but they do an awesome job. The church is the national shrine of St. Anthony, on Arch St, and it's really excellent and engaging.

If you want to coordinate, get in touch with me, I'll also be looking to go to Mass (either Vigil or Sunday) as well.

PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
    PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
    Twitter: @jujukoo
    [E]
  • Options
    Let's do it and get some kickass brunch afterwards. \o/

2009 Omeganaut
  • Options
    DMmagicDMmagic PAX East Enforcer Springfield, MO, USARegistered User regular
    I'd sign on for this :-) I don't usually attend church while traveling, but it's Easter and other PAXers are going... plus brunch afterwards, so it's a win-win.

• Options
    BrimstarBrimstar Registered User regular
    My wife and I would also be interested. She somehow missed the fact it was Easter weekend until I reminded her just after we booked room and train tickets. I think it'd be fun to go as a group. Tack in brunch and it sounds like a very nice morning.

• Options
    TrandescentTrandescent Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Confirmed catholic- I would enjoy this. I know a chaplain gamer in my town who could do the service if he gets a hotel room.

(that is if we dont go to the church. I originally planned to be at the church)

Trandescent on
    8elUgf9.png

PAX East 2018 4-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass [X] Hotel Reservation [X]

See y'all at PAX East 2018!
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    I normally attend a Calvary Chapel (very modern and non-denom.) but I found out that the closest one is in Rockland, about 25 minutes drive from the BCEC. So if there were people who would like to go to a church service CLOSER than that who are not Catholic (though I can work my way through a mass, no problem), I'd be up for it. Especially if there was a Mid-PAX Easter Brunch involved.

• Options
    jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Lokiale wrote:
    Let's do it and get some kickass brunch afterwards. \o/

I'd be down for it but I might have to run the Girls Meetup if Eep doesn't make it to East.

So here's the Church I speak of: http://stanthonyshrine.org/ It's the national shrine of St. Anthony.

It's awesome - the music is great, homily is inspiring, they raise a lot of money and do a lot of social work in the community, like burying the homeless, ministries for parents who have lost children, wellness clinics for elderly at minimal/no cost, knitting groups, and very awesome staff. It's run by Franciscans. The music is a band of professional musicians that does a lot of traditional as well as modern very well (organ hymns redone with respect, and maybe a suprisingly good disco-funk version of "We Are the Light of the World"?) and work on staff throughout the week in other ministries as well.

I'll definitely be doing Easter there. Quick busride on the 7 bus or a 12 minute walk downtown. I'll keep my eyes open for the Easter schedule as PAX East nears.

Also, you Christmas & Easter Catholics, be forewarned that the Mass text is changing first week of Advent.

juju on
    PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
    PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
    Twitter: @jujukoo
    [E]
  • Options
    mockingalemockingale Registered User new member
    I'm planning to go to an Easter Vigil mass at The Church of the Advent (Episcopal), 30 Brimmer Street, at 6:30 PM on Saturday. Should be able to make it to the service and make it back without missing too much of the concert action. This is the earliest vigil service I found, and the one at the Episcopal cathedral has blues and other non-traditional music which isn't really my speed.

• Options
    GrimRupertGrimRupert Registered User regular
    Out of curiosity, what's the presence of more non-denominational Churches in Boston? I tend to stick with Churches that don't really identify as Catholic, Lutheran, Episcopalian, Protestant, Presbyterian, so on and so forth.

While I can attend such a Church, I feel like I'd be spending a lot of time not knowing what I'm supposed to do (I've gone to my grandmom's Episcopalian Church a few times, and there's so much ritual that I feel like a definitive outsider when I go).

I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    [X] - Pre-registered | [ ] - Train tickets | [ ] - Time Off
  • Options
    taumesontaumeson PAX PC Room Manager Minnesota?Registered User regular
    I'm going on Sunday morning to either Trinity or Old North. Feel free to look me up in the PC Room if you want to coordinate. Name's "Nathaniel"

yBfDKg5.png
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    I really would like to go for a service on Sunday. I am also a Protestant so it would be good to get a group together to go to service together.

• Options
    Oldmangloom315Oldmangloom315 [ENFORCER] Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    My best friend is Catholic and always goes to Sunday Mass whenever we're at a con together. We're staying at the Westin. He's not on the forums though so if there is a general consensus on a church, I'm going to pass the info along to him.

He's also curious if anyone is attending the Holy Thursday service as well...since I'll be working set up Thursday, he's looking to go to service anyways. I'll help get folks together if there is interest.

Oldmangloom315 on
  • Options
    JCizleJCizle Registered User new member
    mockingale wrote: »
    I'm planning to go to an Easter Vigil mass at The Church of the Advent

My best friend sings for this church and I do visit each time I'm in Boston but I'm not sure if I'll be attending their vigil this year. Sunday morning at PAX is pretty slow so I'll probably be attending a morning mass and brunch. If anyone is organizing something of the sort, feel free to contact me. I'm Episcopalian, but that isn't a limiting factor into an Easter service I'd attend.

As someone who sings in churches for part of my living, this year's PAX time has def put me at odds. We see who won >.<

• Options
    zertechzertech Registered User regular
    I am not completely sure if im coming or not. Trying to get someone to go with but if i go id be going to church on saturday somewhere. If there was a group going that would be amazing. The convergence of my religion and passion for all that is geeky would be awesome.

• Options
    zertechzertech Registered User regular
    So i know i am going now. Im staying at the wyndham just outside Boston in chelsea. Is there any group that would want to meet up somewhere and head over to a church somewhere?

• Options
    SirCuddlezSirCuddlez Registered User regular
    Is there any interest in celebrating a short communion at pax? I was thinking of bringing just some stuff and finding a spot in the food court on sunday morning that's out of the way . Nothing flashy or in the way just something for those of us wanting to take a moment.

• Options
    Harlequin ShadowlandsHarlequin Shadowlands Registered User regular
    Despite what certain theories put forward by John Gabriel might say I figured I would take a risk and post this here. I was curious if any other potential Catholic PAX Easters were contemplating trying to attend an Easter Vigil in Boston on Saturday night (4/7). Post below or send me a message if you have any thoughts.

This is first time my two religions, Catholic and Geek, have come into conflict. :/

Indeed this conflict for those in your shoes is a issue. Hope it all works out for you! :)

That said as a Wiccan (and since your holiday is based on the European pagan spring festival of my holiday Ostra) allow me to wish you happy Ostra and hope to see you at PAX! :)

-Harlequin
    Admin of World of Darkness News
    News, Community site for the WoD MMORPG