As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Electric lighter got wet.

Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I recently dropped my electric "windproof" lighter in my dog's water bowl.

I can hear the butane escaping, and I can see the electric ignition going off, but it is failing to ignite.

Is there anything I can do to save it? It was only a 5 dollar lighter so it's not a terrible loss, but as I'm under age the process of replacing a broken lighter is obnoxious and if I'm overlooking some simple fix that would be better for me.

twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
Captain Vash on

• Options
    CG FaggotryCG Faggotry BristolRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Box of matches.

CG Faggotry on
    bulbesssigfinal.jpg
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Maybe something moved out of place, so the ignition doesn't hit the butane.

I would just buy a new lighter, probably easier than trying to fix it yourself.
    and stop smoking

Aldo on
  • Options
    DrHookensteinDrHookenstein Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Non-engineering responses to an engineering question. Excellent.

From wikipedia:
    A spark is created by striking metal against a flint, or by pressing a button that compresses a piezoelectric crystal, generating a voltaic arc (see Piezo ignition). In naphtha lighters the liquid is volatile enough that flammable gas is present as soon as the top of the lighter is opened. Butane lighters combine the striking action with the opening of the valve to release gas. The spark ignites the flammable gas causing a flame to come out of the lighter which continues until either the top is closed (naphtha type), or the valve is released (butane type).
    Piezoelectricity is the ability of some materials (notably crystals and certain ceramics) to generate an electric charge in response to applied mechanical stress. If the material is not short-circuited, the applied charge induces a voltage across the material.

If it's still wet inside, that may be causing a short-circuit. Try drying it out, if you can.

DrHookenstein on
    "He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it." -Moby Dick
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    After letting it sit over night I'm getting occaisonal ignition of the butane.

I think I just need to let it dry some more.

Thanks guys.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png