As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How would one extract a gecko from a printer?

SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
edited May 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Yeah, it's exactly what it sounds like. I went to turn on my monitor, pulled off the dust cover, and there was a small gecko, less than 2 inches long, sitting in the middle of the screen like he owned the thing. I tried and failed to catch it, as it darted into the printer itself. I opened it up as if I were changing the ink tanks, but I can't see it in there anymore, and I know it hasn't gotten out. I'd really prefer to avoid having lizard guts on the inside of this thing, as it's pretty new still. It's a HP Photosmart 6510, if that counts for anything. Do I have to take this someplace and have it partially disassembled, or should I just leave it open and hope he gets bored in there?

aTBDrQE.jpg
Skeith on

• Options
    MelinoeMelinoe Registered User regular
    Where do you live? Is it actually a gecko? Really it's going to leave on it's own within a day or two. For food and water. Depending on variety, it's probably an insectivore, maybe a fruit eater though? I'd say just wait it out, or maybe try to lure it out with some gecko food?

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    Try to catch it and keep it as a pet?

I'd just set the printer outside with the doors (of the printer) open in a spot where no one is going to steal it and wait a couple hours for it to run off.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    you scared it, so it hid

if you leave the area and it's quiet for a couple hours it'll probably find its own way out

I guess you'll still have a gecko in your domicile, though

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Melinoe wrote: »
    Where do you live? Is it actually a gecko? Really it's going to leave on it's own within a day or two. For food and water. Depending on variety, it's probably an insectivore, maybe a fruit eater though? I'd say just wait it out, or maybe try to lure it out with some gecko food?

I'm in Hawaii, and it's definitely a gecko-- the feet are a dead giveaway. Hopefully it'll bug out when I leave for work, then.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    You may also want to unplug the printer if you haven't already. Toggle the power switch a few times after to discharge any capacitors so the little guy doesn't get zapped. Gecko crispies aren't fun for anyone.

• Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Plus if you power it down it won't be a nice warm spot for him to sit on.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Well, in theory he should leave on his own,
    see317 wrote: »
    You may also want to unplug the printer if you haven't already. Toggle the power switch a few times after to discharge any capacitors so the little guy doesn't get zapped. Gecko crispies aren't fun for anyone.

I would second this:

Power down the printer, unplug it, and the gecko should - in theory - come back out when it feels safe (assuming it hasn't accidentally injured or killed itself).

You might want to have your printer taken apart & cleaned after it's left anyway. As I understand it, geckos can sometimes perspire pretty nasty toxins (...but you'd probably know more about your local fauna than me).

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

I would second this:

Power down the printer, unplug it, and the gecko should - in theory - come back out when it feels safe (assuming it hasn't accidentally injured or killed itself).

You might want to have your printer taken apart & cleaned after it's left anyway. As I understand it, geckos can sometimes perspire pretty nasty toxins (...but you'd probably know more about your local fauna than me).

I keep geckos and I can't say I've ever heard this. You have any sources, information on species, etc.?

• Options
    The Ender wrote: »

I would second this:

The eggs and shit can be obnoxious, but it didn't look like it was about to lay and I've never heard of the ones out here giving off fumes. Hopefully I don't need to use this thing as anything but a scanner until I can get it taken apart.

aTBDrQE.jpg