Options

Is there a way to play games of differing regions on a PS2?

RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Games and Technology
Thanks to @maximumzero 's kindness, I have a PS2 (with God of War) that I got from him and his Free to a Good Home Thread. Now that I have it, I'd like to know if there's a way to play imports on it, like you can on a GameCube with the use of a Freeloader. Do those exist? I have three Japanese PSOne games that I bought because I thought I was going to be able to play them on my brother's PSOne (we had the means to play imports there), but it turns out that it stopped reading discs and the games are just sitting there waiting for the day when they'll be finally played.

RockinX on

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    There really isn't any easy way, as far as I know. It involves modding, and I really don't want to get into it since it's a pretty gray area of discussion here.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I wouldn't feel comfortable modding a console that was given to me for free, either. How can there be no equivalent to the Freeloader on a PS2?

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I think I'm just going to PM you something I found, due to the possiblity of getting in trouble.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    It's ok, I can live without being able to play them, I've played them before, so it's not that big of a deal, but it sure would be nice to be able to practice my Japanese with them.

• Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    You can obtain a swap magic, or buy a PS2 from a different region. I did both, but I would recommend the more expensive option, especially when you get 10 or more games of that region (I have around 30 PSOne/PS2 games from Japan, so it made sense for me).

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    I had mine modified to play imported games, since a ton of ps1/ps2 games were not released in europe. I guess that is off limits from here though, as it did enable piracy as well sadly.