As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Draw every day. (Everyone's doing it!)

JWashkeJWashke Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Artist's Corner
Let me try this again without messing up Flay's thread.

Inspired by everyone else's threads and my renewed drawing zeal I thought I would make a post to sort of post my progress and keep me going. The amount of inspiration I've gotten from browsing this forum has been phenomenal and I hope someday my stuff could have the same effect on some aspiring artist.

My original plan, when I decided to start getting serious about drawing again and try to do something productive with my summer was to the schedules in The Natural Way to Draw by Kimon Nicolaides. While a great book, two days and 6 hours into the first schedule I feel that if I have to do another gesture drawing I'm going to stab myself in the eye.

Perseverance, however is important in art. And I vow to complete the exercises in their still, however I may slow down a bit and mix it up with other exercises such as some Loomis and Real life studies. We'll just see how it goes though.

Unfortunetly for everyone my scanner is either crap or I am just retarded(which is probably the case.) But I've had to jack up the contrast/brightness or even revert to using a digicam for some of my larger drawings. If anyone knows of a good tutorial for scanning pencil drawings, I'd love to see it.

Now on with the art!
First some contour drawings from Sunday, the first exercise in The Natural Way to Draw.
For these I only uploaded 2 pages of the 10 I did since sunday.
100_3671.jpg
100_3672.jpg

Now Gesture drawings!
I honestly don't think I'm even doing these right, if any has tips, suggestions, whatever I'd love to hear them. Likewise I have no idea what to use for reference for these anymore. The book recommends not spending more then a minute on one pose, and using pictures from the internet means I spend more time surfing for pictures than actually drawing, and living in the middle of nowhere without a car limits my options for drawing people. I resorted to watching a movie and drawing from that, which is difficult due to the limits of full body shots and the inevitable distraction from watching a movie. Like the contour I didn't post all of these, In 2 days I did 37 of these 18x12 pages.
100_3668.jpg
100_3667.jpg
100_3669.jpg

Now for some other stuff I did to stave off insanity after doing 3 hours of contour drawings or 3 hours of gestures.
5 min Self Portrait, I'm not sure why I limited myself to 5 minutes, its pretty crappy.
Untitled-Scanned-09.jpg

My hand.
Untitled-Scanned-15.jpg

Some lady (giraffe neck! olol.)
Untitled-Scanned-18.jpg

And a landscape I tried doing from photo reference, took way too long and after looking at it I realized it doesn't really have more then like 2 shades and just looks really messy.
Untitled-TrueColor-20.jpg

These next images are a couple months old, if anything I think they show how I've gotten worse without any practice.
Untitled-Scanned-03.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-04.jpg

steam_sig.png
JWashke on

• Options
    StealthNachosStealthNachos Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    CLCK 4 LURNS?

Read that, do the exercises in it. You're at the stage where it can help immensely.

StealthNachos on
    I tend to ramble.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I took a very basic art class last year, and all we did was exercises from that book the entire year. I'll look into picking it up though since I haven't actually read it.

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Bad day for drawing, will have to draw double the amount tomorrow. I know its only the second day and already I'm slacking off!

I tried drawing my foot, which didn't turn out so well.

foot1.jpg

My hand, which the shading is god awful.

hand.jpg

And just because I was so discouraged with my shading I tried drawing something relatively easy to shade, so a chair. I had to rush it a bit at the end, as I was drawing it on my deck and the sun was going down. If i turned on a light it would have flipped the light source.

chair.jpg

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FibretipFibretip Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    i know i'm not supposed to say this but yeah, the btotom two in the first post are the best in my opinion... they show a better control of your pencils. I love the elephant, there's some real character in it for some reason, and it's great to see you trying something without outlining it first there.

keep going though, persevere!

Fibretip on
    I believe in angels, not the kind with wings, no...not the kind with halos, the kind who bring you home
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Thanks, yeah those were done in the middle of my drawing class a few months ago, until Sunday I hadn't really drawn since May.

And that elephant is probably my favorite thing I've ever done, I wish I did it on a separate paper. I'll probably try redoing it eventually.

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Creambun 007Creambun 007 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Stealthnachos is a very smart man. Get that book ASAP and get to work. My only regret after reading it was waiting until my late teens to do so.

Creambun 007 on
    Diggity.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Alright then, next time I'm at the bookstore I'll pick it up.

Another day another drawing. Today I started awesome in my opinion then it went horribly awry from there. I did two Loomis studies late tonight which turned out awful, I really need to stop drawing so late at night. But I did get a bunch of gesture drawings and a skull which I was very happy with.

LOOMIS!

Loomis1.jpg

loomis2.jpg

A few pages of the gesture drawings (out of 7 done total.) All of the gesture drawings were done with a 30 second time limit.

100_3680.jpg

100_3678.jpg

And the skull
    Skull.jpg

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Friday! Friday! Friday!

So... today I tried drawing an apple, and my living room, Unfortunately, the apple turned out pretty crappy and I neglected to draw any perspective lines for the living room piece so I kind of gave up half way through, also I could not get that table right despite redoing it like a thousand times.

Though all was not lost! I needed a new sketchbook and when I went out I figured I would actually listen to some of your guys advice and went and bought Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. I did the beginning exercises, which is meant to gauge your current level I guess, which is a self portrait, and a portrait of a person from memory. It says to draw your hand too, but I did two of those in the last few days so eh, (I'm lazy I know.) I also found the book a very fascinating read, particularly the experiment where they showed each eye a different utensil, and they said they saw a utensil one that the dominant verbal eye saw but when asked to pick the object out from ones behind a curtain they picked out the object that the non verbal pictorial eye saw, very interesting stuff.

Anyways I read up to the 4th chapter which starts the exercises so I'll start them tomorrow.
    Now! onward with pictures!

Untitled-TrueColor-05.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-04.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-01.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-02.jpg

Guess which one is the self portrait and which is from memory. :lol:

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Saturday, What a day,
    Groovin' all week with you.

Today I did more from Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. I did The Faces Vases exercise, which for those who haven't read the book, is where you draw one side of the face/vase half, then go over it several times naming the parts, then you try to draw the other side matching it without naming the parts.

I then did the two upside down drawings, After Picasso and German Horse and Rider, pretty self explanatory.

Next some blind contour drawings on cheap crappy paper, and finishing it off with my hand. I really don't like this drawing of my hand, I just finished it and I'm very tired, so I might end up redoing it tomorrow but we'll see.

I also looked into signing up for a life drawing course for this fall at my local community college. Hopefully it will work out, sounds like fun.

Untitled-TrueColor-11.jpg

Untitled-Scanned-02-1.jpg

Untitled-TrueColor-10.jpg

Untitled-TrueColor-07.jpg

Untitled-TrueColor-08.jpg

Untitled-TrueColor-09.jpg

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    It Sunday.. Yay..

So today I just continued in Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. I redid the hand exercise because I knew I could do it better. then I did the chair exercise on negative space, and the perspective and proportion exercise.

Untitled-TrueColor-05-1.jpg

Untitled-TrueColor-06.jpg

Untitled-TrueColor-04.jpg

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Today I slept in late, then saw transformers and went out to dinner, so I didn't get to do as much as I would have liked. Transformers was awesome though.

I did a short exercise of copying a drawing out of RSotB. Then I started the profile drawing but my mom who was modelling for me got tired and wanted to go to sleep so I'll have to finish it tomorrow. I also decided I wanted to draw something for fun too so I tried my hand at the design a creature thing. I posted it in that thread but I'm just going to dump here too. I don't know why but I instinctively toned the paper before starting haha. I discovered that I don't know how to draw clouds, my fisherman is missing a foot, and it really hammered in my need to work on values.

Oh, I also fixed the really wonky fireplace on last nights perspective exercise.

Untitled-TrueColor-02.jpg

Untitled-TrueColor-204.jpg

Untitled-TrueColor-03.jpg

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bluemaggitbluemaggit Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    hey, i just wanted to say alot of your stuff is really cool, i dig the shark fishing one alot it's awesome!!

bluemaggit on
    .deftones.bluemaggit.banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Thanks, I'm glad you like it!

UGH, Yesterday was a bad bad day. So no update. But today was much better, I did a lot more gestures, which I didn't bother to scan. Then finished the portrait of my mom and did a self portrait of myself to finish off Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. Unfortunately I did the Self Portrait in my room where the lighting is terrible, which is why it looks awful. I'll probably do another in the next couple days.

Momresize.JPG

SPresize.JPG

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EhmaviscaEhmavisca Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hey! You're getting better.

Ehmavisca on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Thanks Frank, That means a lot coming from you as I've always loved your work.

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BananaChipsBananaChips Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've noticed that the lips in all of your front on self portraits are way too small, where my lips end are about directly below the side of my iris closest to my nose. Your lips seem to end below where your nose ends. The portrait of your mom is great.

BananaChips on
    bananagr9.png
  • Options
    teamquigganteamquiggan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Your clearly displayed improvement is inspiring to me!

teamquiggan on
  • Options
    VirumVirum Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I haven't been going through right side since it came to the part with the view finder since I don't have one and I need to buy other things so I don't want to buy stuff to make one. I think I'm just going to skip that part.

Marked improvement though I have to say! I am impressed.

Virum on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I have small lips, but your right in all my self portrait I make them only about to my nose area, I went and measured with a mirror and they extend to about the start of my eye. Thanks for noticing, I'll have to remember that for my next self portrait.

I was too lazy to make the different sized viewfinders too, I used a clear plastic view frame but when I need to make a smaller frame instead of the viewfinder I just made a little rectangular stencil out of folded paper. It worked alright but made it a bit hard trying to write on the flimsy clear plastic while holding it up to frame a picture.

Thanks for the support guys, I'm glad to hear so many people think I'm improving and I'm even inspiring others to boot!

I know I've been lax the last couple days, I've been getting ready for going on vacation for two weeks, I'll try to post a bunch before I leave on Wednesday morning though.

The last couple days I've mostly been working out of The Natural Way to Draw, I've done 8 hours over the last two days of gesture and contour work, I don't really feel like scanning all of it so I'll just so a page of each. I also started a loomis study on proportion tonight.
    Untitled-Scanned-02-2.jpg

Untitled-TrueColor-05-2.jpg

Untitled-TrueColor-04-1.jpg

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I thought people were closer to 7 1/2 heads tall. Anyways, looks like your improving keep it up n'shit

Greatnation on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There is a constant debate between 7 and 1/2 and 8 heads. 7 and 1/2 is considered the more realistic, and 8 the ideal. In any case, everyone is different and memorizing things like that is not as important as being able to make accurate judgments based upon what you are seeing.

JWashke, I would suggest working as clean as possible. Erase unwanted strokes. This can be difficult at first if you lack confidence when drawing, but it is crucial to getting better. Also, I don't know where you take classes but 30 seconds is...not enough time to learn shit. I had a teacher once (not at my current school) who would start the timer and not even tell us how long we had. He would go 'start........stop' 'start..... ....... ...... ....... stop!' And I wanted to kill him. This does not teach you how to draw. Drawing quickly is one of the most difficult things to do and if you havent even learned what you are supposed to be looking for yet then it is straight up impossible. Get into some drawing classes where you get to work from longer poses, like 3 hours or so is pretty good. And even in those three hours, dont even get into tone or value or shading or whatever you want to call it. Just lay the figure into the page as accurately as possible. You will learn 100x more doing this one time than doing 100 pages of 30 second gestures.

rts on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    JWashke wrote: »
    Untitled-TrueColor-03.jpg

Very cute, reminds me of this
    The_Dreamcatcher_by_pesare.jpg

lyrium on