As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TRENCHES] Thursday, August 16, 2012 - Phonics

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited August 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Phonics

Phonics
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/phonics

Advancement Lies

Anonymous

Part of the sales pitch was “get your foot in the door, work hard, and move up!” Turns out testers were privately thought of as gophers just there to do whatever bitch-work no one else wanted. The mentality was “if you were good enough to do anything other than test, then you wouldn’t have been hired as a tester.” Yet these same people loved to talk publicly about how testers are “the designers and artists and programmers of tomorrow!” Funny what you learn at a release party when people start drinking.

Geth on

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    "Oh, I knew/know a ______" is pretty inane as far as conversation material goes. Good work Cora.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Also interrupting your interviewer.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    theResetButtontheResetButton Registered User regular
    Cora's clearly in the right because Isaac is an awful per- *the cabin depressurizes, sucking me out of the plane*

Keep honking: I'm also honking.
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Oh that Issac. He's such a card.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    "Oh, I knew/know a ______" is pretty inane as far as conversation material goes. Good work Cora.

To be fair, I don't know where/what the Schmaurnyaarks are, but they sound remote enough that even a single Isaac would be out of place.

• Options
    agilemaniaagilemania Lyon EstatesRegistered User regular
    They obviously can't hire him. He doesn't have a Trench nose.

• Options
    theResetButtontheResetButton Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    On a more related note, I work with a Polish guy whose name is pronounced "wise men", but whenever he's asked, he says it's "Smith".

theResetButton on
    Keep honking: I'm also honking.
  • Options
    IamToochIamTooch Registered User regular
    My summer term at Schmaurnyaark Institute of Technology was fun and rewarding, especially Smithing 103, even though Rochester refused to give me credit for it, saying it wasn't part of the engineering core curriculum. Still I made some lifelong friends. There are a lot of Fjorns but luckily each one I knew had a different nickname: "Fjorni," "Flossi," "Æðburt," and "Ted."

The best part was you could catch a ferry to Inner Qwghlm (which wasn't that far away), and get well and truly hammered for cheap. Unfortunately the crossing back was usually pretty harsh on the stomach.

• Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    IamTooch wrote: »
    My summer term at Schmaurnyaark Institute of Technology was fun and rewarding, especially Smithing 103, even though Rochester refused to give me credit for it, saying it wasn't part of the engineering core curriculum. Still I made some lifelong friends. There are a lot of Fjorns but luckily each one I knew had a different nickname: "Fjorni," "Flossi," "Æðburt," and "Ted."

The best part was you could catch a ferry to Inner Qwghlm (which wasn't that far away), and get well and truly hammered for cheap. Unfortunately the crossing back was usually pretty harsh on the stomach.

Make sure to drop in on Harriet Qrtt while you're there. Lovely lady.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    IamTooch wrote: »

I infer you must have been to the Schmaurnyaarks before the decades of internal tension boiled over into bloody civil war and ethnic cleansing. Count yourself lucky.

Poor Jerry probably fled the violence and civil unrest in his home country and came to the United States, land of opportunity, trying to fulfill his dream of working in the video games and technology industry. All he wanted was a lowly testing position, all he wanted was a chance. And now Cora has dashed his hopes within the first 30 seconds of the interview.

The bitch.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    ugh see, this is what I've been talking about the last couple strips. Cora is literally a horrible person, she basically just committed a crime. There are no protagonists in this story, everybody is a self-serving dick, nobody i shaving any sort of character arc, I just don't get where this is going.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    ugh see, this is what I've been talking about the last couple strips. Cora is literally a horrible person, she basically just committed a crime. There are no protagonists in this story, everybody is a self-serving dick, nobody i shaving any sort of character arc, I just don't get where this is going.

What? It's not a crime to not hire someone because they associated with someone with a bad business reputation. That's actually a pretty reasonable reason not to hire someone.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

Are "people who know Isaac" a protected class?

• Options
    Ramen EmpireRamen Empire 先生 北京Registered User regular
    Unhired for knowing Isaac. Seems legit.

This is a signature. It's made of signature.
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    I do not understand why a protagonist cannot be a bit of a dick some of the time.
    And I do not know why it seems to be an issue every single strip.
    It's also a comic. It's like Dilbert. If you didnt have people doing wildly inappropriate things, it wouldn't be funny.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Whell Mike and Jerry built this insane empire on two protagonists that are unmitigated assholes, so I guess they were probably thinking their readers would be okay with these kinds of characters.

That said, Cora's behavior here is pretty mild.

• Options
    TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    I am under the impression that some of you have never been on the "Interviewer" side of an interview.

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    The problem isn't that Cora is being a dick, as lots of shows/comics/movies have unlikable protagonists. Its that (at least for me), there's no joke, just Cora being a terrible person. I feel sorry for this guy because he just lost a job because Cora is insane (or her logic for being mad at Issac is at least). She didn't even do it in a funny way, like show him a picture of Issac sleeping at his desk while asking "This Issac?"

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    For the record, I think what Cora did here is pretty questionable, although I can sort of understand her reasoning. And I actually do find this comic mildly funny, though I admit part of that is just because Schmaurnyaarks makes me giggle and I think we should keep this thread going until the next comic Tuesday just making up facts about the history and culture of the Schmaurnyaarks.

But I'm glad to see some people really taking Cora to task, as if Isaac had done something like this the whole thread would have been "OMG Isaac is such a jerk" again while Cora and most of the other characters seem to have largely been getting a pass.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    The problem isn't that Cora is being a dick, as lots of shows/comics/movies have unlikable protagonists. Its that (at least for me), there's no joke, just Cora being a terrible person. I feel sorry for this guy because he just lost a job because Cora is insane (or her logic for being mad at Issac is at least). She didn't even do it in a funny way, like show him a picture of Issac sleeping at his desk while asking "This Issac?"
    exaaaactly! also ya sure, lots of shows have unlikeable characters but usually every so often somebody does something that shows they have a soul, hell or maybe even a couple side characters are likeable. Here, so far, nobody in the cast is likeable at all, everybody is a dick, and things just keep getting worse.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Cora's sin is leaving out a comma in her last speech bubble.

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    You know what's worse than Isaac's sad joke? The fact that Cora didn't know how to pronounce "Jerry".

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    You know what's worse than Isaac's sad joke? The fact that Cora didn't know how to pronounce "Jerry".
    Just because it's pronounced "Jerry" doesn't mean it is spelled anything like it.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    What I find more curious is why she didn't use Issac's pronunciation from the last comic. Is it a different interviewee?

• Options
    JortalusJortalus Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    What I find more curious is why she didn't use Issac's pronunciation from the last comic. Is it a different interviewee?

Do you think you'd actually remember that pronunciation if somebody said it to you? I think the joke is that she has no idea what's going on with the whole Shemnasidsck thing. Like that <---

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Sure, "Jerry" is very to pronounce, :) .

I guess I thought from what we "know" of Cora, she would want to get it right. Would seem even odder if she gets it wrong then still blames Issac.