As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer Failure for third time in a row

Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, now I'm getting pissed. About two weeks ago, I had a bad computer crash that resulted in me loosing a lot of data. I reformatted the drive and reinstalled windows XP. About a week went by and I started getting tons of errors on start up. If I got into windows at all, multiple programs would shut down on me, like explorer and messenger. Most of the time though, at the logon screen, I'd get an lsass.exe error and it would restart.

Well, I heard that can be caused by updating windows when service pack 2 is missing or damaged, and my windows disk is a burned copy that I slipstreamed with service pack 2 so that I could use all 300gb's of my Seagate hard drive.

Anyways, I use my old xp cd, update to SP2, and carefully update my computer.

A day goes by and all is well, until I play Half Life 2. At a random point in the game, the PC crashes and I have to hard reset. I do that and go get something to drink, and am greeted by a BSOD. Every time I restart windows now, it gets no further than the progress bar and proceeds to give me a completely different error every time. Among these are...

STOP: "Bad Pool Caller"
STOP: "Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal"
STOP: "0x000000ED Unmountable Boot Error"

I was not getting these errors with my old hard drive, but no longer have that. I'm wondering if this is a memory error, since one of my sticks wasn't working in a friends PC, but worked fine in mine upwards of 3 years now.

Any advice guys? I've reinstalled XP like 3 times now in the last month and I'm starting to lose hope. Hardware Problem? Software? Totally lost, and kind of wishing I had the money for a Mac.

Thanks in advance guys.

sci+fi+wasabi.png
Sci-Fi Wasabi on

• Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    IRQ_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL errors relate to the RAM most of the time. They can also be related to a driver issue, but it doesn't seem likely in this case.

Try a new stick of RAM and you should be golden.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah Makershot is right try changing your memory and see how things go for a while. If the issue keeps coming up then you will want to check that all your devices aren't causing any problems with your mainboard or other devices in your machine (video card, sound card, etc).

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well my motherboard is a bit flakey. It's an AN7 and its given me a lot of problems, but upgrading isnt a possibility until christmas. I removed one of the sticks of ram and things appear to be fine for the time being. Thanks folks.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png