As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Roomates and buying an HDTV

hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Howdy guys, you've never let me down before and this time I beseech thee to help me figure out this little quandry between my roomate and I.

See, we're both getting massive student loans and want to piddle some of the extra cash away on a new HDTV. So we've decided we want to go halfers but need to figure out the logistics of:

- What happens when one of us moves out?
- - How do we decide who gets the TV and what's the other person entitled to?

statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
hamburger helper on

• Options
    PorkChopSandwichesPorkChopSandwiches Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

See, we're both getting massive student loans and want to piddle some of the extra cash away on a new HDTV.

Danger... danger... danger...

There should be no such thing as "extra cash" from a student loan. Send that back to wherever you got it from so you're not deeper in debt when you get out of school.

However, if you're determined, I would write up a contract that states that whoever moves out first either has the option to refund a prorated portion of the other person's money and take the TV with them, or vice versa.

PorkChopSandwiches on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    There are some interesting ways of dealing with student loans in Canada which I plan to take advantage of when I'm done my degree. Regardless, I don't want to derail the thread. Probably shouldn't have mentioned the source of monies in the first place.

Anyhoo, Porky, thanks for the advice. I think that's what we decided on, but was curious to see what others thought of. Would the prorated portion include amortization you think? Should we figure in current market values or the value at time of purchase?

hamburger helper on
  • Options
    PorkChopSandwichesPorkChopSandwiches Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I would use a set amount. Since TVs devalue pretty quickly, I would set a percentage of the original purchase price. For instance, the person buying it out could agree to pay 30% of the purchase price. That would take into account the usage that the other person got out of it.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was lecturing. I did exactly that when I was getting my master's and I've regretted it. Of course, it was before the time of good HDTVs, so all I have to show for it is a flat screen Sony.

PorkChopSandwiches on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, so if you pay $100 for the TV, I would say one of you should pay the other $35-40 when you go to take it. My roommate freshman year was nice enough to offer me the full $50 I had put into our cheapo TV, because we kept it quite clean.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Probably the worst idea I've heard of in a long time.

If you can't afford a TV without going into debt, YOU CAN'T AFFORD THE TV.

Doc on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Doc wrote: »

Actually, it depends on what type of student loan it is.

If you're talking about a subsidized student loan, that doesn't have interest kicking in for 6 months after you get out of college, yeah, fucking do it. Hell, if you've got access to that kind of money, you should be getting all of it and sticking it in a savings account.

If it's, like, a private loan, with an interest rate, etc., you should probably reconsider.

In any case, the problem you're going to run into is that when you split, who gets to buy out who? The best way to settle this is to set a floor (i.e. a minimum of 25% of the original purchase price, or whatever), if one of you doesn't want to buy it out, and if both of you want it, you can "bid" for it (i.e. I'll pay $100 for it, my roommate offers $110, I up it to $120, he doesn't want to pay any more than that, so I buy it from him).

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Doc wrote: »

Actually, it depends on what type of student loan it is.

If you're talking about a subsidized student loan, that doesn't have interest kicking in for 6 months after you get out of college, yeah, fucking do it. Hell, if you've got access to that kind of money, you should be getting all of it and sticking it in a savings account.

If it's, like, a private loan, with an interest rate, etc., you should probably reconsider.

In any case, the problem you're going to run into is that when you split, who gets to buy out who? The best way to settle this is to set a floor (i.e. a minimum of 25% of the original purchase price, or whatever), if one of you doesn't want to buy it out, and if both of you want it, you can "bid" for it (i.e. I'll pay $100 for it, my roommate offers $110, I up it to $120, he doesn't want to pay any more than that, so I buy it from him).

It's a Government loan, like you described with no interest or payments if I'm going to school - which can be forever if I really want. But like I said, I do not want this thread derailed into what I should or should not be spending it on.

I really like the bidding idea Than. Thanks everyone who's contributed to the thread. I think it's safe to lock now :)

hamburger helper on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    whoa what the hell is going on here.

I suck at internet.

hamburger helper on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    one of you should buy the TV and then the other one should buy the surround sound or something. Joint ownership of stuff is a pain in the balls.

JohnnyCache on
This discussion has been closed.