As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What is a Protection Stub?

Discombobulated ZenDiscombobulated Zen Registered User new member
edited July 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm trying to play Fable on my PC but every time I try to launch it I get a box that says "Protection Sub has stopped working". I don't know what a protection stub is or what it does and apparently neither does microsoft. I'm using Vista if that helps.

Discombobulated Zen on

• Options
    KoekjesKoekjes Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I found this on another website where someone was complaining about the same problem happening with Zoo Tycoon 2.

"Found the fix!...well, actually my bf did, but nonetheless..here's what worked for me finally:

Control Panel ->System-> Advanced System Settings -> Advanced Tab -> Performance -> Settings ->Data Execution Prevention tab -> Activate only "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only" "

I don't know what DEP is so try it at your own risk.

Koekjes on
  • Options
    Discombobulated ZenDiscombobulated Zen Registered User new member
    edited July 2007
    Thanks man. It started right up. But if anyone knows what DEP does and what the ramifications of changing the settings may be, please let me know.

Discombobulated Zen on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    DEP is a technology that helps prevent malicious code execution by refusing to execute code without the proper execute bit attached (many pieces of malicious software exploit errors known as buffer overruns to insert code into memory spaces where it shouldn't be, DEP prevents those pieces from executing by having a specific bit set elsewhere that says "does this block of memory contain executable code {Y/N}?" If it says N, the code isn't run.) and apparently Fable hasn't caught up/isn't talking to windows properly so that it can get its execute bit set right...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    DEP is a technology that helps prevent malicious code execution by refusing to execute code without the proper execute bit attached (many pieces of malicious software exploit errors known as buffer overruns to insert code into memory spaces where it shouldn't be, DEP prevents those pieces from executing by having a specific bit set elsewhere that says "does this block of memory contain executable code {Y/N}?" If it says N, the code isn't run.) and apparently Fable hasn't caught up/isn't talking to windows properly so that it can get its execute bit set right...

So, basically, Vista is a fancy way of annoying you with features that break your games. :D.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Actually, it has nothing to do with Vista except that it supports DEP; all the execute bit stuff is inside the processor and both Intel and AMD have similar set-ups and the latest flavours of Linux all support DEP at the kernel level as well. If anything it's more like a simple built in antivirus...
    Personally, I'd recommend against switching it off for non-windows code, especially with an internet enabled game, because if you have an open net connection and a game that can be exploited anyone on the internet could theoretically run more or less anything they wanted on your machine.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    That's overly paranoid and glosses over a lot of important details. If it breaks the game, turn it off. If you insist on being paranoid, turn it back on when you're not gaming.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
This discussion has been closed.