As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xbox 360... is this a deal or a rip-off?

Arboreal SnowmanArboreal Snowman __BANNED USERS regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I went on craigslist today, and saw an ad for an Xbox 360 Premium edition, with two wireless controllers, used, for 250 dollars. I called the number provided and talked to a man about it. He said that the 360 is in excellent condition and that to inspire trust in me that I could go to his house and buy it there. I arranged to call him tomorrow and set up an appointment to buy it, so I could have some time to think.

First of all, what if the console has the three red lights of death? He said I could take it out of the box and test it and play it there, but isn't it possible that he used the towel trick on it before letting me test it, so that it works for me for a couple of hours but then the three red lights return later on?

He said he only accepts cash. This means that there will be no reciept. Now, I know that Microsoft extended the warranty on all consoles by three years, but do I need a receipt for that to be valid, or can I just send the 360 in?

Thanks.

Arboreal Snowman on

• Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Make sure he has the original receipt, and then make one on your own that says "I (seller's name) sell this Xbox 360 Premium serial number blah blah to (Buyers name) for the sum of $250."

Should cover it, if MS has any questions. It's legal, but I dunno if they'll honor it.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    What if he doesn't have the original receipt?

Arboreal Snowman on
  • Options
    happysharkhappyshark Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    i sold mine for that same price....he probably priced it that way instead of 275 so he can be guaranteed to sell it to someone who wants a deal and still be able to pay rent or bills or whatever

happyshark on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    as far as i know the 360 warranty isn't transferable. but i'm not positive.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Basically what I want to know are the terms of the Xbox 360 warranty.

Arboreal Snowman on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/resources/warranty.htm
    This Limited Warranty applies to the original retail purchaser only and may not be assigned or transferred. However, some jurisdictions extend the protection of implied warranties to subsequent consumers and therefore this limitation may not apply to you.

uh...

it's kinda unclear, hah

i'd call Microsoft and ask.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's been my experience in dying 360's that microsoftt doesn't demand any proof that you are the original purchaser.

Since gamestops and E.B. games only give about 200 dollars for the stuff you mentioned in the deal if this guy gets 250 on craigslist it's a better deal for him then the "easy" retail route of selling his stuff.

tl;dr This doesn't seem like a deal that is "too good too be true" it just seems like a pretty good deal.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png