As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

San Francisco for N00bs

JustboyJustboy Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So my lovely Aunt over in the US has offered to pay for flights to come visit her for two weeks at the end of September, now that i'm 21 and can finally quaff a beverage over there. I shall be staying with her and her husband in San Mateo, who both work, so i will have most days to myself to take in the sights and sounds. As a Londoner who has only ever been to Kansas City i was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for cool things to do, see, eat, watch, smell etc in the San Francisco area towards the end of September. I'm quite into film and live music (an avid guitar player), lots of sports, interesting culinary delights,general sightseeing activities and the odd unusual happening/interesting photo op. Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers

Justboy on

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Catch a movie at the Metreon, the largest IMAX theater in the world.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You need to find out what the public transport is going to be like, at 21 you won't be able to rent a car without a very hefty premium, if they'll rent you one at all.

San Francisco is awesome.

Go to a 49ers or Giants game... I'm not sure when the baseball season ends, but the 49ers should be playing by then. Get tickets now, or you won't get good ones or any at all.

Get a drink at http://carnelianroom.com/ after dark.

Eat an insane cheesecake slice at The Cheesecake Factory at the top of Macy's in Union Square.

Good live indie music seemed to always be south of the freeway, I am sure you could walk there but I personally wouldn't want to after dark. San Francisco is a very safe city, but there's no need to be silly. Take a bus there (but again the public transport thing rears it's head on how you'd get back to San Mateo).

Eat chowder at Fisherman's Wharf, then eat chocolate at Ghiradelli Square.

If you can, head down to Santa Cruz (which should not be as ungodly hot by September) to see a Californian beach type place.

Most of the cool stuff you can just find out about on Ticketmaster, or in a good guide book. You are really limited by your transport options, sadly, so you'll need to be very careful about planning ahead. Or find a car rental place you can pay a huge wodge of cash to.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't know much about the specific events despite living near SF, but I can recommend some of the regular touristy things to do...

Ghiradelli Square [public transit]
      A small plaza that can easily be reached via the cable car from the Powell BART stop. It plays host to a deliciously sweet dessert shop as well as some sight seeing along the coast

Pier 39 (and the rest of the pier) [public transit]
      Near the Ghiradelli Square, there's a huge number of tourist attractions here including sea lions, street performers, shops and I think an aquarium (though I have not been in it myself). It's a great place to go on a sunny day to eat the food and take in the sights. Granted that the Pier 39 doesn't have the
    best food around, it has plenty of good eats.

Shopping in SF [public transit]
      Westfield Shopping Centre is an enormous shopping mall. It spans across a block and goes up for several floors and has a pretty nice food court in the ground floor. If you're in the market or just window shopping, this is definitely worth a visit.
        Union Square is also a fantastic place to go. It is a little less convenient if your purpose is to purchase, but if you're there to sight see, you should definitely visit here also. The view is pleasant from the top floor of the Macy's building and you can eat some (IMHO) overrated and overly portioned food at the Cheesecake factory; otherwise just stay for the view and explore the rest of the square.

Chinatown [public transit + walking]
          An exciting place to visit whether or not you speak Cantonese. Most of the vendors know enough English to make the transactions flow smoothly enough, and if you're not there for the food, being there for the sight is also great. The hustle and bustle of the street vendors and residents looking for the best deal is great.

The Golden Gate Bridge
          I don't really know of an easy way to visit this particular landmark via public transportation. The best view I've had of it was on the end not in San Francisco and we got there via car. But this is a must! (Though, parking in San Francisco is a nightmare)

The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art and the Asian Art Museum of San Francisco [public transit]
          Every few months, their exhibits switch up and are always impressive. I haven't been to either in over a year, so I'm not really sure what's going on now. But both have websites where you can investigate for yourself.
        SF Moma and Asian Art Mus.

I know that there are other places to visit and to see in SF, but as of now, I live in Berkeley. So whenever I visit with friends, we tend to stick to things that are easily accessible through BART (subway). If you have a car (or do not mind navigating the tangled web of public buses), there is much more to do and see like visiting Golden Gate Park or the Japanese Tea Gardens. Another great website to visit for ideas of where to eat and things to do is Yelp. It's a peer review site of various shops, services, etc. Take a gander and just stumble on something you like.

EDIT:
        Oh, right, I keep mentioning public transportation. You can visit 511.org to plan out trips in the Bay Area and San Francisco, it typically has the most up to date schedules. From there you can also find links to the other major public transit sites, or, you know, just google it.

Arminas on
      • Options
        necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
        edited July 2007
        Unless you are a fatty fat fat fat, I heartily suggest walking up Polk from the Union Square Bart to California, down California to Grant, then over to Columbus. You can see the City Lights bookstore (Kerouac, Ginsberg, etc), eat at the Stinking Rose (best restaurant in North Beach, honestly), then walk off the garlic as you head back down Montgomery to the BART back out to BFE (San Mateo). Also, check out Jack London Square in Oakland and get a sammich at the 12th street shopping area in Oakland. The Fountain Cafe at City Center is incredible....turkey, bacon, and avocado sandwiches to die for.

If you want Japanese (not sushi, but almost every sushi restaurant in SF is good, because it's always super-fresh), Osaka Grill on Sutter just off Polk was always my favorite.

If you're into the whole club scene, most of the clubs on Folsom are pretty interesting. It's been a few years, though, so I don't guarantee anything as far as that goes.

The BART runs from SF out to almost San Mateo every day until around midnight, so you don't have to worry too much transport-wise, as long as you can get to Fremont.

As far as the tourist-thing, you can do Pier 39 and Union Square, but I wouldn't hang out too long. They're both designed to separate you from your money as soon as possible.

If you want a super-hip sushi experience, check out Ozumo in the Financial District. It's pricey, but I like it. Plus, you can walk on the Embarcadero after dinner.

necroSYS on
      • Options
        bigpandabigpanda Registered User regular
        edited July 2007
        If you're into film, check out the Castro Theatre in the neighborhood of the same name, it's an old movie palace from days gone by that's still in operation. There's also San Francisco Movie Tours that will take you on a bus trip through the city to see a bunch of locations where movies were shot (http://www.sanfranciscomovietours.com/), I was even able to get them to stop off at Lucasfilm in the Presidio which was fantastic and they make a stop at Fort Point under the Golden Gate Bridge where I saw the Pacific Ocean for the first time.

Fisherman's wharf and Pier 39 are touristy things to do but probably required at least once. The chowder in a sourdough bread bowl made for a good lunch. While there, take a walk down to the Maritime museum and take a tour of the historic ships they have and stop at Ghiradelli Square afterwards. If you continue to walk right along the waterfront heading west you'll come upon a steep road that leads to Fort Mason and a great view of the Palace of Fine Arts, Crissy Field and the Golden Gate Bridge (this view alone sealed the deal in making me decide that I wanted to live there).

The varying neighborhoods all have history behind them and are worth a trip through them if you have time. If you find yourself in the Mission district, grab a burrito while there as it's a distinct style known for being stuffed with all kinds of great things. Chinatown is also a must see as it's world famous.

The Alcatraz tour at night is cool (don't bother with the daytime one as the views in the evening are much better), make sure to bring a camera if you go and get up to the lighthouse just before sunset. if you head over to the southwest corner of the pavilion up there you can snap some amazing photos of the sunset over Golden Gate Bridge.

You'll have a great time, and make sure to bring a camera and extra film or memory cards and batteries as there will be plenty to see and do.

bigpanda on
      • Options
        bigpandabigpanda Registered User regular
        edited July 2007
        Also forgot to mention that while I was there, I was staying in Union Square and didn't have a car. I took public transportation to get everywhere and other than a somewhat long wait late one night by the Marina district I had no complaints. If you can get a pass for however long you plan on being in the city (I got one for 5 days that was around $25).

Also, if you want to ride the cable cars, don't bother waiting in line at the turnaround as it can take awhile, just go up a couple streets and jump on as others are getting off.

bigpanda on
      • Options
        edited July 2007
        necroSYS wrote: »
        eat at the Stinking Rose (best restaurant in North Beach, honestly),

Oh man, I am the n00b for forgetting the Rose :(

Also; Lefty O Douls on Geary (I think) near Union Square is awesome in it's crapness. It is the last bastion of unpretenciousness, a place where a sandwich consists of having a slab of meat cut off a fucking huge ham slammed onto some bread. It has this weird sports bar/cocktail bar decor mishmash. I love it.

I go there every time I'm in the city.

Lewisham on
      • Options
        blincolnblincoln Registered User regular
        edited July 2007
        San Francisco is huge. I spent a week there back in 2002 and still only scratched the surface. Some of the things that stood out for me though are:

- Going on a roundabout ~17-mile walk through various parts of the city, of which the best part was Golden Gate Park.
        - Another walk through Chinatown and then up in the hills (Russian, Nob, etc) at the north end downtown.
        - Touring Alcatraz.
        - Walking around the beach at the Presidio near that end of the Golden Gate Bridge.

If you've only been to Kansas City in the US, I would highly recommend setting aside a day or two just to walk around the downtown area and the waterfront along the north and east sides of downtown. Be aware that it is much more hilly than most US cities, so it's kind of a hike if you don't make a habit out of that kind of thing.

blincoln on
        Legacy of Kain: The Lost Worlds
        http://www.thelostworlds.net/
      • Options
        FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
        edited July 2007
        necroSYS wrote: »
        The BART runs from SF out to almost San Mateo

Yeah. More specifically, the BART stops about 5 miles north of San Mateo in a town called Millbrae, where it connects up with CalTrain that will take you to San Mateo (or all the way down to San Jose if you want.)

So doing San Mateo - San Francisco does require one transfer, but it's not a pain or anything. Both trains run pretty frequently at all hours.

I live in San Mateo and, well, it's a nice place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit here. There really isn't anything for a tourist to do here except hop on a train to San Francisco.

Edit: for public transportation, if you have access to a computer while you're here, use transit.511.org. You can enter your From: and To: addresses and it will tell you exactly what buses/trains/etc. to take.

Feral on
        every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
      • Options
        Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
        edited July 2007
        I just went there a week or two ago, and the Golden Gate and the aquarium were kickass.

Black Ice on
      • Options
        contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
        edited July 2007
        You can't see the sights in San Francisco and ignore Haight Street. I was just there last week watching a friend perform a set at the Red Victorian, and I saw a bum throw up red vomit right in front of me! It was amazing.

Srsly though go to haight st. Plenty of bums with signs asking for cash to buy weed, but they're all too lazy. There are incredibly expensive stores, it is SF after all, but they also have some incredibly cool and thrifty stores. Mainly don't walk into the stores with thumping basslines and you'll be fine for cash. The Giant Robot store is just off the corner of Haight near Amoeba Music (go there too, read the wiki) if you're into that kind of thing. Too expensive for my blood, though. Real real good food on that street, too. Speaking of food, though, there's a Belgian fry shop called Frjtz in Hayes Valley (which is sorta like a yuppie version of Haight), which is nearby (you might want to take a bus, though.) Coolest place I've ever eaten, and it was absolutely delicious. Google it, a lot of people say good things about it.

edit: hey, here's a youtube of it, actually. except the place in hayes wasn't so big. there was a big patio out back though, which is where I ate.

contraband on
        sigxw0.jpg
      • Options
        edited July 2007
        contraband wrote: »
        You can't see the sights in San Francisco and ignore Haight Street.

What's the name of the hooka bar near Haight/Ashbury? I was absolutely hammered somewhere around North Beach as I was being dragged around by the Designated Driver, and then said DES drove us to Haight (despite my protestations about needing to drink more RIGHT NOW) and to this hooka bar there, which was super awesome. I had some apricot shit and pretended I was Snoop Dogg.

Needless to say, I did not remember the name.

Lewisham on
      • Options
        edited July 2007
        Wow, i come back from a quiet evening out to see Transformers and grab some chicken piri piri at Nandos and return to find a load of cool and informative stuff to read up about san fran, cheers ppl! I don't think my limited finances (just finished uni) will stretch to car rental, so it will mostly be a combination of public transport and walking..luckily i'm not a 'fatty fat fat' so it should all be cool...although by the sound of the culinary delights awaiting me who knows at the end of the trip! Is there like a weekly ticket you can get that allows you to hop on buses/trains etc, like a travelcard over this side of the pond? I dont mind the train ride, its a free place to stay and a free flight over, so i cant really complain.Hoping to take advantage of the lovely exchange rate between the pound and the dollar too...hurrah

Justboy on
      • Options
        GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
        edited July 2007
        My wife and I did SF for our honeymoon. Lots of fun stuff. It's sorta cheesy, but do the Alcatraz tour, it's a genuinely creepy place. If you have the chance, head over to Muir Woods and hang out with the redwood trees. Of course, Pier 39 is awesome.

Just bring lots of money. Lots.

GoodOmens on
        steam_sig.png
        IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
      • Options
        FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
        edited July 2007
        I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned the Exploratorium yet. It's a hands-on science museum and a whole lot of fun.

Feral on
        every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
      • Options
        CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
        edited July 2007
        I've lived in SF for a little under a year, and I still feel like I don't know it that well.

Granted, I'm here for law school, so I haven't had much time to explore the city.

I live in the South of Market neighborhood. There are some decent bars and restaurants on second and third streets, and the cross streets south of Market.

Also, if you're into Mexican food, take BART to 24th and mission, and go either to La Taqueria, or El Farolito. Those restaurants probably have the best burritos in the city, and they're only a block apart.

CrossBuster on
        penguins.png
      • Options
        themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
        edited July 2007
        Baker Beach is nice as is a walk/picnic through Golden Gate Park. Palace of Fine arts and a walk about the grounds. Across the bridge Muir Beach is awesome certain times of year and if you have a car the drive to Stinson Beach is fun (see "The Birds"). North of Bodega Bay in Point Reyes National Seashore there are some amazing relatively short hikes. The Museum of Modern Art is a hop from the Metreon. Dammit, all this talk is making me want to take a trip.

themightypuck on
        “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
        ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
      • Options
        CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
        edited July 2007
        I'm not much of a modern art fan. If that's your thing, MoMA is pretty good.

If you're not into modern art, the Legion of Honor is an excellent museum, in a setting that can't be beat.

CrossBuster on
        penguins.png
      • Options
        jzarrjzarr Registered User regular
        edited July 2007
        O'Farrell Theatre
        www.ofarrell.com

895 Ofarrell St
        San Francisco, CA 94109
        (415) 776-6686

jzarr on
      • Options
        edited August 2007
        haha the ofarrell theatre looks very interesting, think ill take my aunt along with me too! Looks like im gonna have to make some sort of plan to cram as much of this stuff in in two weeks as i can.

Justboy on