As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Someone's at the Door!

GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
This is something that's been really been bugging my wife, and I've been trying to think of a good way to ease her mind.

Last night, we were both in bed around 9 (we both work early), and someone rings our doorbell. Our dog starts flipping out and barking; I get dressed and hurry downstairs, and there's no one there. This has happened once before in the year we've lived here.

There aren't any teenage kids that live in the area, so I assume it's not just some doorbell ditching jackasses. I figured someone probably was looking for a different house and went to the wrong house accidentally, because why else would they be doing that at that time of night? My wife was assuming someone was trying to see if someone was home and then break in, but I would think the ADT stuff plastered everywhere would deter that line of thought. We live in a pretty good area; new build houses and a lot of retirees.

Any thoughts on what the deal is?

Ganluan on

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm gonna go with the casing for robbery thing.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    I'm gonna go with the casing for robbery thing.

That's not going to help :P I assume them seeing lights turn on and hearing our dog barking made them change their minds?

Ganluan on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Unless it was a ghost.

Not sure what kind of advice you want here. I've never heard or experienced a doorbell spontaniously ringing... nor have I ever heard of a potential robber ringing a doorbell before breaking in. That seems incredibly stupid to me, especially a robber doing it at night.

Perhaps it was an accident, two times in a year does not make a pattern, and the fact that it happened at 9:00, which a lot of people would consider a reasonable time to ring the doorbell, leads me to believe this is one big overreaction.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    There could be a million different reasons why someone would ring your doorbell at 9:00 PM at night. 99.9%of them are innocent. I've had everything from salesmen to religious zealots to hot girls looking for beer come after dark, regardless of the "No solicitation" signs prominent in our neighborhood.

If you feel uncomfortable, just make sure you double-check the locks whenever you come inside. If you feel extra paranoid, get a good deadbolt or chain lock installed on the door.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    There could be a million different reasons why someone would ring your doorbell at 9:00 PM at night. 99.9%of them are innocent. I've had everything from salesmen to religious zealots to hot girls looking for beer come after dark, regardless of the "No solicitation" signs prominent in our neighborhood.

If you feel uncomfortable, just make sure you double-check the locks whenever you come inside. If you feel extra paranoid, get a good deadbolt or chain lock installed on the door.

I figured the same, just wanted to hear from other people that something similar had happened. My wife was kinda freaking out about it, but telling her that this happens to other people all the time will help.

If I were a religious zealot, I'm not sure I'd choose that time to try and convert people though :P

Ganluan on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Get a montion-light that trips when someone is at the door.

Not some 1,000 candlepower monster, just a single-bulb so whoever is at the door is illuminated. Could set a delay so it looks like someone on the inside is turning on the light.

But yeah, just a random occurance.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    Sentry wrote: »
    nor have I ever heard of a potential robber ringing a doorbell before breaking in. That seems incredibly stupid to me, especially a robber doing it at night.

Uh, it happens all the time. They want to see if anyone is home. If nobody is there, then it's safer to break in. There's no reason to suspect that this is the case in this situation, though.

Doc on
  • Options
    wombatwombat __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    you could always buy a cheap weather proof camera to stick out there, and then hook the monitor up somewhere in your bedroom or nearby so that you can just turn on the monitor and see if they look like a prowler or some such.

wombat on
    siggy2.jpg
    Vote for my film! (watching it is also an option)
    wii friend code: 7623 9955 2119 1775
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Not some 1,000 candlepower monster, just a single-bulb so whoever is at the door is illuminated. Could set a delay so it looks like someone on the inside is turning on the light.

I was actually considering this, and will probably end up doing it. We already have a light outside, is it easy to add motion sensing to one that's already installed?

While we're on the subject, is it true that having lights on outside your house deters criminals? Like, leaving your back porch and front porch light on all the time at night?

Ganluan on
  • Options
    Legoman05Legoman05 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    stryker116 wrote: »
    MichaelLC wrote: »

I was actually considering this, and will probably end up doing it. We already have a light outside, is it easy to add motion sensing to one that's already installed?

While we're on the subject, is it true that having lights on outside your house deters criminals? Like, leaving your back porch and front porch light on all the time at night?

Yes - they sell kits that screw into the existing socket, and then run to a motion detector.

And also - yes, I don't see why lights wouldn't deter someone over, say, a dark house. You might still get broken into - the couple break-in attempts I've had have been where there was a motion activated light, but the hoodlums grabbed a stick and pushed the light to shine away from the door.

I live with 9 dudes and have a rifle under my bed though, so it's probably better for whoever it was that he didn't get in.

Legoman05 on