As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Back ache

A-RodA-Rod Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So other night I slept in a weird position, and woke up with back ache. Still bothering me today, and going to the gym and working out sures didnt help last night. It only bothers me when I position myself in a certain way, like if i flex my back. Otherwise Im fine.

So is there anything to help remedy it, instead of just laying low? Ive tweaked it like this before, and I know it takes a day or 2 before im ok, but Im going to a concert tonight, which Im sure wont help but maybe theres something I can do before going out tonight, to just relieve it a bit...

A-Rod on

• Options
    ShmoepongShmoepong Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Is it that you just slept in a weird position or has this happened before? Back aches can also come from other sources like slouching in a chair at work, lifting weights using your back muscles or not stretching properly.

If your bed is giving you problems, look into harder/softer matresses or matress pads. Try sleeping with a pillow underneath the small of your back or not sleeping with a pillow at all. Experiment and see what works for you. If you still have trouble, see a doctor.

In any case, I use anti-flammatories for muscles like Aleve or Ibprofen. You can follow that up with some Icy Hot to relax the muscles. The aura of minty freshness will make you popular at the concert.

Stretching also helps relieve some of the pain. You can also stretch your lower back by curling into the fetal position with your knees on the floor. You can also do some gentle bounces by starting upright then try touching your toes. These stretches should loosen up your back muscles.

To strengthen your back so this doesn't happen often, you can do exercises called rippers. Lay on your stomach and place your heels underneath some heavy object. Put your hands behind your head and arch your head upwards. Each time you go up is a rep. This will cut down on the pain in your lower back in the long run.

Shmoepong on
    I don't think I could take a class without sparring. That would be like a class without techniques. Sparring has value not only as an important (necessary) step in applying your techniques to fighting, but also because it provides a rush and feeling of elation, confidence, and joyful exhaustion that can only be matched by ... oh shit, I am describing sex again. Sorry everyone. - Epicurus
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Unless it's, like, in the sides of your lower back (in which case it could be your kidneys), it's probably just a tweaked back. Best thing you can do is take anti-inflammatories (the aforementioned naproxen sodium and ibuprofen being the best), and go about your day normally.

And yeah, when you're weightlifting, spending part of a day just on back muscles is a good idea.

Thanatos on