Options

[PA Comic] Friday, December 21, 2012 - The Vault Of Winter, Part Seven

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited December 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    JortalusJortalus Registered User regular
    Oh Jim, don't ever change.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Adventurers.
    **** the holiday spirit, grab the loot and run!

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    *Applause*

This was a great set of comics. Very well done, well thought out, and lots of little details you notice at first that seem off, and are later explained as having been actually off. Not bad for 21 panels!

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    The way Jim says the last line, it makes me suddenly picture him using a vaguely Eastern European accent.

In retrospect, this makes his previous lines even more awesome. I loves me some Jim Darkmagic.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    The fabled missing strip of yore has appeared.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Dark.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Man this is basically every game I've ever played.

Complete the quest the proper way, claim reward. Then kill the guy or steal his stuff for anything he didn't give you freely.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Yeah, I can definitely see why the did not put that one up last week. Man.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Today seems to be extra comic day:

edit: Bonus comic discussion moved to http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/171304/pa-bonus-comic

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Could just reposted the funny one:

215065785_5AtLt-L-2.jpg

• Options
    ToolboxToolbox Registered User new member
    Here's a crazy idea, leave both amendments alone.

I know the comic doesn't explicitly state "kill the second amendment", but that's what I see any time I come across something like it, because I know that a lot of anti-gun people are going to get up in arms (har har, that's almost a pun) over it, spouting their whole-hearted endorsement and calling for the ban of all weaponry. Which, yeah, is their right; it's also my right to oppose their views. At least in regards to the USA in general, perhaps not on a privately owned message board. We'll see, I guess.

Sad thing is, the most gung-ho anti-gun people, who always believe that their views should be seen by all and that you're just stubborn and blind if you don't agree... Tend to avoid looking at anything that goes against their opinions.

Prove me wrong. Please.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Eh, I think that one's a little flippant for the state of discourse right now.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Toolbox wrote: »
    whole-hearted endorsement and calling for the ban of all weaponry

no one is saying this

• Options
    Delzhand wrote: »

no one is saying this

Not here and not yet, no.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Delzhand wrote: »

no one is saying this

Not here and not yet, no.

My twitter feed this last week has been FULL of people saying this. Ironically, most of them people in the gaming industry -_- (I swear it's like Sophie's Choice with whether I want to follow some of these people... I kind of wish they would just shut up about their politics and just talk about their games :P)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2012
    removed due to offtopicness due to comic getting a new thread

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    CandymancerCandymancer Registered User regular
    Maybe Tycho is sitting there honestly on the verge of patriotic tears...but the political comic comes off as, well a political comic. It's just missing a crying statue of liberty.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I'll die before I let a soldier sleep in my house.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options

You know, Penny Arcade is no stranger to controversy, and instead of avoiding it they've embraced it before (American Greetings being staffed entirely of Nazis, doing several DickWolves comics after rape victims asked them to stop, etc.)

But is it because the elves look like children? Is that why it was pulled?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    I'll die before I let a soldier sleep in my house.

May I ask why?

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    No, because it's not the topic of the thread and he shouldn't be acting like a shitheel.

• Options

You know, Penny Arcade is no stranger to controversy, and instead of avoiding it they've embraced it before (American Greetings being staffed entirely of Nazis, doing several DickWolves comics after rape victims asked them to stop, etc.)

But is it because the elves look like children? Is that why it was pulled?

It was pulled because they thought maybe on that day people didn't want to look at images of graphic violence. It has nothing to do with controversy and everything to do with a little bit of common decency and thoughtfulness.

• Options
    Oh, I thought we were talking about our favorite Amendments.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    We weren't. So quit while you're behind.

• Options
    As much as I'm in favor of gun control and freedom of speech and blah blah blah, I don't know if anyone actually wants to ban violent video games. They just don't want them to be sold to children, right? Or at least they want something to blame other than guns. Saying stuff like "abloo abloo a true Patriot would respect the First Amendment" strikes me as putting words in peoples' mouths and ignoring what the debate is actually about. This is a big reason I don't really read Penny Arcade for political commentary - as long as they make jokes when they do it, I don't mind, but when you just straight up have Tycho spouting political opinions I couldn't care less whether I agree with him or not, but your comic is probably not going to be the most insightful piece of commentary. Leave that for the news posts or something.

• Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    The political cartoon is one of the tackiest things I've seen since the shooting. Message isn't bad, but the presentation is freaking cringeworthy at best.

But as usual, the real problem is missed. Namely, our complete lack of anything resembling a sane mental health care system in America. That's what prisons are for!

Edit: And that's not even getting into the fact that neither Gabe nor Tycho have ever really been cognizant of the fact that freedom of speech isn't absolute.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    The pulled strip is actually my favorite one...

• Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    I think it's important to realize the context of this strip--it seems to be in response to the NRA press conference that just happened today. Basically, they got up and blamed the media (and video games) and doubled down on their positions.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited December 2012
    Right. This is true. But that's the NRA, that's kind of what they do. Blame literally anything that isn't guns. The strip comes across as ridiculous because well...there's no actual mainstream pushback on videogames, not even a little, and there hasn't been in ages.

It's effectively a dead issue. So when you put up a strip like this, it's not only ham handed but sort of irrelevant and knee jerk too.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    A new thread has been made for the bonus comic, please move this discussion there.

• Options
    awkwarriorawkwarrior Registered User regular
    I can't see this comic anywhere on the main PA site, except here. FYI, whoever should be aware of that

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    For me, it's showing up on the same page as Part Six. Just under it.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    awkwarriorawkwarrior Registered User regular
    And it indeed is