As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Xbox 3/4 player game suggestions?

LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Games and Technology
A friend has recently got a 360, and so has offered me 3 of his original Xbox controllers (all official S controllers :D ), since I only had 1 before multiplayer is now possible.

I am looking for good multiplayer games that follow these criteria -

1. Not an FPS - I will be playing with people who refuse to play console FPS's, and I have timesplitters 2 already on Gamecube.

2. Not sports games - includes racing sims.

3. co-op is a bonus, but not essential

I don't really know the Xbox library that well, and I was gutted to discover that Burnout: Revenge is only 2 players at the same time... (is burnout 3 the same?)

Any suggestions welcome, thanks a bunch!

Edit: I mention it in the title, but not specifically in the body - it needs to be 3/4 player, not just 2 player. Also does anyone know if the xbox version of Alien Hominid is 4 player or just 2?

LewieP on

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The no "console FPS" requirement REALLY hurts the Xbox, but I suppose there is stuff like Lego Star Wars and, uh sports games. I guess.

Edit: Nevermind, Lego Star Wars is 2 player. Forgot.

Darlan on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Crimson Skies for verse battles is an absolute hoot. You can get it for $5 or less at EBStop.

D&D Heroes is, and I don't know exactly why, the best damn coop dungeon crawl in console history. If only it was BC. :( Seriously, the wife and I (along with random friends) beat that game four times...and I never beat non-Marvel games more than once. 1-4 players, btw.

Deathrow. If you ever see this game anywhere ever you buy and you love and you play it with three friends, coop or verse, doesn't matter. My entire dorm floor was addicted to this for a couple of months.

Hunter: The Reckoning is pretty good, largely for the character designs and story. The gameplay is solid but very repetative. The sequal's gamepaly was better but the story wasn't as good, imo. 4-player coop is always a bonus, though.

I might remember other games later, but those first three are must haves as far as I am concerned.

Accualt on
  • Options
    variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    the warrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiioooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrs

sorrry

also baldur's gate 1 & 2

variant on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Oh, yeah, Baldur's Gate 1 was really good. Two was...not so much.

Accualt on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Phantom Dust.

I think it has four-player splitscreen. I know it at very least has two; but the arenas hold a max of 4.

I could be wrong about that though.

It's an action game.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'll second Deathrow. It is somewhat of a sports game but using the disk to kill your opponents instead of scoring is so much fun.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    The Burnin8orThe Burnin8or Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    X-Men Legends 1 and/or 2. Star Wars Battlefront 2.

There is actually a list that includes this kind of information on the 360 Arcadians wiki (it has both Xbox and 360 games on it).

The Burnin8or on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Our living room xbox gets the most of out Mashed when it comes to 4player. It's basicly micromachines, big advantage is no split screen.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Deathrow gets thirded by me.

AnakinOU on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Marvel: Ultimate Alliance.

I know I suggest this like, anytime anyone asks for a game for any console... but if it's out on your console(which it is), it's one of the greatest multiplayer co-op games there is.

Khavall on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hack and Slash: D&D games, Hunter, X-Men, Justice Leauge, Marvel series, Gauntlet
    Third Person: Phantom Dust, Brute Force,

Party games I havn't played: Fusion Frenzy (only layed a couple games), MadDash.

Mostly beatem/ups and top down hack and slash for 4 players.

solsovly on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Unreal Championship 2 - in third person mode.

august on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you're down for fighting games, most have a 4-person tag.

Dead or Alive Ultimate comes to mind. Yum.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Kung-Fu Chaos

Also, you said no console FPS, but the Doom 3 Collector's Edition (also I think the Doom 3 expansion), both which can be had for like $10-15 at EB/GS, have 4 player co-op and deathmath through the original Doom and Doom 2, splitscreen. Doom 1/2 is much easier to control and more simple than other console FPS's, so your friend might not mind playing it.

Edit: A few more things, get Super Monkey Ball DX, it has both SMB 1 and 2, if you don't already have those for the Cube. Fusion Frenzy is a good party game. The Burger King games, which you can find used are cheap, and pretty fun. Get the Pocket Bike one and the Bumpin' one, Sneak King is 1 player only.

Lastly, there is no Alien Hominid for the original Xbox.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    The Burnin8orThe Burnin8or Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    DHS Odium wrote: »

Lastly, there is no Alien Hominid for the original Xbox.

Alien Hominid was released for the Xbox in the UK.

The Burnin8or on
  • Options
    OmegaVelocityOmegaVelocity Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Super Monkey Ball and Phantasy Star Online are both really fun with four players.

OmegaVelocity on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Thread needs more PGR2 Cat & Mouse.

Please, anyone feel free to lime, bold, and embiggen the above so it can be shouted to high heaven.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Accualt wrote: »
    Crimson Skies for verse battles is an absolute hoot. You can get it for $5 or less at EBStop.

D&D Heroes is, and I don't know exactly why, the best damn coop dungeon crawl in console history. If only it was BC. :( Seriously, the wife and I (along with random friends) beat that game four times...and I never beat non-Marvel games more than once. 1-4 players, btw.

Deathrow. If you ever see this game anywhere ever you buy and you love and you play it with three friends, coop or verse, doesn't matter. My entire dorm floor was addicted to this for a couple of months.

Hunter: The Reckoning is pretty good, largely for the character designs and story. The gameplay is solid but very repetative. The sequal's gamepaly was better but the story wasn't as good, imo. 4-player coop is always a bonus, though.

I might remember other games later, but those first three are must haves as far as I am concerned.

D&D Heroes is good. Great even. But its not better than FF:CC at coop dungeon crawling.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Crimson Skies should be a compulsory purchase for, well, everryone.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It may be worth your while to check out Monster Madness: Battle for Suburbia. I've only played the demo so far, but it's pretty much Smash TV + Zombies Ate My Neighbours. Four player Co-op, online play, etc.

If you can manage it, try some DOA4. The game is simple enough to learn and most of the moves are over-the-top enough to be entertaining for at least a long time. It's a tag game, so you can 2v2.

Oh, oops. Xbox, not 360. I'm dumb. Try DOA:Ultimate then.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Slap them across the face and then force them to play Halo: Combat Evolved. Better yet get 4 xboxes and 4 tvs and have a lan party and enjoy Halo: Combat Evolved. You will thank me for this.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    D&D Heroes is good. Great even. But its not better than FF:CC at coop dungeon crawling.

4 Controllers vs. 4 GBAs + Link Cables

I don't know, man, makes it a close contest.

Accualt on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Slap them across the face and then force them to play Halo: Combat Evolved. Better yet get 4 xboxes and 4 tvs and have a lan party and enjoy Halo: Combat Evolved. You will thank me for this.
    Gee, I wonder why you're jailed.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Accualt wrote: »

4 Controllers vs. 4 GBAs + Link Cables

I don't know, man, makes it a close contest.

D&D Heroes was a game powerful enough to get someone who's last video game was the original gauntlet to run out and buy an OXBOX and 4 controllers. While we were playing it. It's a good experience.

My friends were truly thankful for my position as portable gaming master when we went through FF:CC, as I usually have between 3-5 GBAs fully charged at any one time. I collect the various models, though sadly these days I am down to one GBA and two SPs.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Recoil42 wrote: »

:cry:

It was because of a gif.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

It was because of a gif.

It's because you're always slapping people. That's assault, mister!

august on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    august wrote: »

It was because of a gif.

It's because you're always slapping people. That's assault, mister!

Assault is a euphemism for sex. Can I assault you August. :winky:

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    awesome suggestions guys, I'll look out for all these games on the cheap, thanks a bunch!

LewieP on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Phantom Dust.

I think it has four-player splitscreen. I know it at very least has two; but the arenas hold a max of 4.

I could be wrong about that though.

It's an action game.

Phantom Dust is only two player splitscreen. 4 players only via system link.

Plus if I remember correctly, you have to use arsenals from your profile.. which means everyone involved has to have played the main game to a certain point.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I actually have phantom dust, havent got round to playing it, methinks I should crack into it.

Mostly related to this thread, does anyone know if any of the splinter cell games support more than 2 players if you use system link, ie two teams of 2 each sharing 1 Xbox.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Seriously, I second Kung Fu Chaos, I always saw it as a Super Smash Bros for the Xbox, a brilliant and vastly under-rated game.

Is your xbox modded? If so then try Super Mario War, I think that should be ok to post in here, it's not emulated and it's completely freeware. It's a fantastic game, you get to choose various characters and hop around a single screen level (Completely customisable) and in the basic game you try to stomp on each other, or pick up power ups and hit each other with them. Then there are different game modes such as Yoshi's Egg Hunt, where Yoshi spawns somewhere on a map and an egg in another corner of the map. You have to grab the egg first and get it to Yoshi, with the others trying to stop you. It's very fast paced and Yoshi moves to a different location each time you get an egg to him.

Then there's one where you have to hold posession over a certain number of blocks on the map. You hit a "?" block and it turns to your characters colour, a counter keeps track of how long the blocks remain in your colour, your opponent can change the colour of the blocks by hitting them too. Kinda like the tagging mode on Tony Hawks, but 2d and with blocks :D

There's also chicken, whereby one player plays as the chicken and all the other players have to hunt him down, whoever kills him turns in to the chicken. Whomever is the chicken at the end of the game wins!

Source Code is opensource, it's been ported to nearly every platform and comes with a map editor. And with thousands of maps already out, it really is fun!

I think I've ranted about it long enough now though :)

Screenshots
    smwscreen2.png
    smwscreen4.png
    gameplay_1_5.jpg
    yoshi_1_5.jpg

(There's rumours abound it may be getting a "wii-ware" release. I doubt it though)

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    malerikmalerik Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I recommend star wars battlefront 2's co-op campaign. Controls can be a bit fiddly when you're doing starfighters, and if they don't like FPS games they might not like it, but with 4 people doing the missions on a decent size telly it's awesome.

Or just do what we do and play hoth a lot as the rebels. snowspeeders are fun.

If you don't mind taking turns, flatout has some awesome minigames. See who can score the highest at darts! only, the darts aren't darts. they're the drivers of the cars who you fire at a giant dartboard. fan-smegging-tastic.

malerik on