As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Internet Event of the Year - 2012

Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
Another year! So lets pick something other than Gangnam Style.

What one thing defined the internet in 2012? When our great gandkids look back what will they see in their history books for the year the Mayans told us it was all going to end?

This thread could have a completely different outcome if things to do down on the 21st, but would even the destruction of humanity and possibly the earth compare to Psy and almost 1 billion YouTube views>?

2011:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/21627209

2010:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/133936/internet-event-of-the-year-2010/p1

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/108821/internet-event-of-the-year-2009/p1

2008:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/78655/internet-event-of-the-year-2008/p1

2007:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=44279

Clipboard03.jpg
I KISS YOU!

• Options
    Hey now, 2012 is lacking participation!

Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    I don't remember what happened this year. Everything is all jumbled together into one long meme with no beginning or end.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I think Barack Obama taking Reddit by storm qualifies as a notable event - I don't know about THE event but it was certainly something with no precedent.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I definitely would have a hard time imagining that Gangnam Style isn't worth at least an honourable mention though. First time I saw that video was the day after it came out, broadcasted during breaks between games on a professional Starcraft 2 gaming broadcast from Korea.

Next thing I know it's being tweeted by US celebrities.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Honestly...there really wasn't much an event. Nothing like the Iran protests in 2010 or massive hackings like in 2011.

There was the massive protest of SOPA in January.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Curiosity landing on Mars and Felix Baumgartner got a lot of live views I think.

Pirate Bay also got blocked by UK isps.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Gangnam hit 1,000,000,000.

First time in human history that number has been achieved.

Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    If I was to pick a non-Gangnam related option I think I would go with Mars as well although the SOPA thing was huge too.

• Options
    The end of Megaupload. That happened in 2012 and say what you will about the site it's end was a major world internet event with the whole crazy Kim Dotcom hold up and raiding of his house.

Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    KONY2012?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Oh yeah, Kony was 2012 too. That one sure came and went.

Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    I'm going with the Felx flight or Gangnam. Sorry, but it has to be said.

I'd also put a vote in for @anoffday's Bad Rats LP.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    Outside of Gangnam Style SOPA was a pretty great example of internet users lobbying idiot politicians for the greater good of us all. Though we'll probably lose eventually.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    I most enjoyed Romney losing his bid for Presidency, and watching FreeRepublic get crazier and more desperate / delusional as the night dug deeper.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    It's definitely not Kony.

Felix Baumgartner was a pretty cool event. Gangnam Style is probably the real answer though.

Or the Mars landing. That thing was a hell of an event. But it was also a regular ole non-internet event. Though the participation in said event was a big deal.

• Options
    Kickstarter really came into its own this year, as did crowdfunding as whole. Not sure if that qualifies as an "event."

Kony 2012 petered out when the guy behind it had a serious meltdown and literally ran naked through the streets.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    What was the biggest Kickstarter thus far?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kickstarter#Top_projects_by_funds_raised

a watch app i've never heard of?

edit: three of the top four are things i don't really understand

815165 on
  • Options
    The first is a watch that is wirelessly connected to your mobile device, I believe. It's...kinda neat, I guess?

The second is the Phantom Jr., only I guess there is actually Ouya hardware, which puts it a step above the Phantom. Nonetheless, it's an expensive android phone.

Third is a video game from Obsidian, so that is pretty self-explanatory.

Fourth is some miniatures game, which is probably the most surprising as I didn't think minis were that big a deal.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    The minis actually look pretty neat, I can see why so many people would be into that. Dunno how I'd never heard of it considering the backing.

I still don't really get the concept for the watch or why anyone would invest in the console, though.

edit: jesus seven day battery life on a watch is silly even if it does fancy stuff.

edit2: actually I don't even get watches at all anymore, everyone's had a phone on them with a clock for the last fifteen years, unless you're going somewhere you couldn't use your phone to tell the time (some jobs I guess) I don't even get why you'd own a watch let alone a watch with apps

815165 on
  • Options
    The console was a very slick snake-oil pitch about being a new thing in hardware. Very open, and every game would be free!

...except "free" just means they have to, at minimum, include a demo.

...and "open" means they have a shop similar to Microsoft, Sony, Apple, and Nintendo.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    does the 47% video count as an internet event? if so, that.
    otherwise, I guess the sopa protests?

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    ...and "open" means they have a shop similar to Microsoft, Sony, Apple, and Nintendo.

Well, in fairness, "open" in this case means that you'll never have to deal with a lock-out chip. There's no licensing process involved with OUYA.

In practice, I think this means we'll see a lot of shovelware dumped onto it (assuming it gets released), but I have to agree with any independent developers that say the Microsoft, Sony & Nintendo practices are mostly draconian (unless you're planning to publish a title in the 'Community Games' ghetto of XBox Live, assuming that space is even there anymore).

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    815165 wrote: »
    edit2: actually I don't even get watches at all anymore, everyone's had a phone on them with a clock for the last fifteen years, unless you're going somewhere you couldn't use your phone to tell the time (some jobs I guess) I don't even get why you'd own a watch let alone a watch with apps

I know I own a watch because I'm not a tool and carry my phone everywhere.

Heck, it's only ever on when I'm expecting a call or need to make one.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    Gangnam wins.

Where else but the internet does a Korean rapper, rapping in Korean birth the most popular song on the planet.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I would specifically note Tim Schafer's Kickstarter as being an internet event, rather than Kickstarter's general rise to where it is now. That was the thing that made people go "BWOAH SHIT!" in surprise.

I think you guys have covered just about everything that's possible to vote for (the United States 2012 election is not an internet event though). The Mars project had internet facets to it. Felix whats-his-name's jump, I dunno. Was that viewable only by the internet (in terms of when it broadcasted live)? If so, then it counts for sure. And yeah KONY2012 is there too.

Gangnam Style also counts, and frankly I think it wins by a huge margin. That's where I'd put my vote.

Edit - Oh wait wait wait wait wait, I'm changing my vote to SOPA. Or well, that's the one I give the most shit about. Gangnam Style still wins.

Henroid on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

Check it out guys, this guy is so fucking cool that he doesn't even turn his phone on except when expecting a call! Look at him, breaking free of the shackles of technology!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    the United States 2012 election is not an internet event though

Counterpoint: The FreeRepublic reaction to the election was an internet event, and arguably so was Nate Silver's now infamous prediction about it's outcome.

On the wall, the writing

EDIT: That being said, based on popularity alone, Gangnam Style takes it a landslide.

1 billion views.

1 billion.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »
    the United States 2012 election is not an internet event though

Counterpoint: The FreeRepublic reaction to the election was an internet event, and arguably so was Nate Silver's now infamous prediction about it's outcome.

On the wall, the writing

Ehhhhhh, not really an event in and of itself. I mean, it was funny seeing stuff like Donald Trump flip out on Twitter while the election was ongoing, but come on. :P

• Options
    edited January 2013
    Darmak wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »

Check it out guys, this guy is so fucking cool that he doesn't even turn his phone on except when expecting a call! Look at him, breaking free of the shackles of technology!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who raised an eyebrow at this. I think not carrying a phone around and trying to make that fact into some sort of statement actually makes you a bit of a tool, thank you very much.

As to the original person who asked why people wear watches, watches are now, more than ever, jewellery and nothing more.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    As to the original person who asked why people wear watches, watches are now, more than ever, jewellery and nothing more.
    [/quote]

I don't know. I still have extensive use for it depending on the situation.

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Te'o in the lead for 2013?