As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Monday, March 11, 2013 - Job Fair

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited March 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Machete guy isn't doing his job right, he should be carrying a third one between his teeth!

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    This is pretty much my experience playing Tomb Raider. Look for the guy with the glowing stuff (the flaming cocktail) and then shoot him in the face or hand. His friends really love it when you do that!

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I chortled once I knew the proper context, but only then.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »

Did you really need a context beyond 'videogames' for this one? I'd say all the required information is neatly packaged within the strip and the exact game in question is not part of that information.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Here's your context:

A guy is carrying volatile explosives.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Yes, I needed context beyond "some video game shit". I needed the context of "dudes you, the player, shoot at in video games".

Because in an machete vs Molotov cocktail arena death match, I wouldn't count out the Molotov.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    I thought this was a late Far Cry 3 comic.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Yes, I needed context beyond "some video game shit". I needed the context of "dudes you, the player, shoot at in video games".

Presumably you were somehow unaware that you were reading Penny Arcade

• Options
    Tube wrote: »

Presumably you were somehow unaware that you were reading Penny Arcade

What the fuck is Penny Arcade?

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I thought maybe this was a board game about Zombicide, where you'd be handing out weapon cards to each other, and the other players can make you a Molatav. It didn't make any sense in that context, really, so being reminded that there are games with grunts like this where you can shoot the Molatav guy to nail everybody put it back in perspective.

Unfortunately, when you have to have the joke explained it isn't as funny.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Classic mook strip.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    This took me back to battletoads and double dragon, where somehow the most muscular mook in the game pulls the duty where he hides in a tiny room behind a door and daintily tosses out sticks of dynamite at you.

Nevermind that he is the most physically fit of all the mooks, you have to just pick up his dynamite and toss it in the door and watch him get sad from behind the window.

• Options
    Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular

Did you really need a context beyond 'videogames' for this one? I'd say all the required information is neatly packaged within the strip and the exact game in question is not part of that information.

It does help to know exactly what the comic is specifically about, it does make it funnier.

Also, Mike and those damn noses. The rest of his art is so beautiful and then you get to the noses...

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Ha! Love it.

Molotov/Dynamite mooks were my favorite. My own little mobile red barrels. One of my favorite moments during a shootout was when I nailed a Dynamite guy just as two more guys dropped down off a ledge. Dude dropped his stick of TNT and *BABOOM* all three assholes were blown to hell.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Been playing a lot of Fallout: New Vegas lately and this made me think of Powder Gangers and their preoccupation with tossing sticks of dynamite at me.

It never seems to work out very well for them and they never learn.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

yea, very few games make exploding instant death guys not be the brightest and most obvious dudes on the battlefield.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    theResetButtontheResetButton Registered User regular
    Also, Mike and those damn noses. The rest of his art is so beautiful and then you get to the noses...

Looks like they might need to revoke double machete guy's machete privileges.

Keep honking: I'm also honking.
  • Options
    kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Now I'm wondering, are there any games where the badguys are not color-coded based on what kind of weapon they carry? Like, they all look the same until one opens up with a machine gun and the other starts lobbing grenades?

kingworks on
  • Options
    kingworks wrote: »
    Now I'm wondering, are there any games where the badguys are not color-coded based on what kind of weapon they carry? Like, they all look the same until one opens up with a machine gun and the other starts lobbing grenades?

I don't think games usually color code the different enemy types. Some do, but usually devs differentiate their enemy types by costume design.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    theResetButtontheResetButton Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

I don't think games usually color code the different enemy types. Some do, but usually devs differentiate their enemy types by costume design.

Yeah, color-coding was more a low-rez solution when enemies' pixels could be counted on two hands. However, red (backpacks, barrels, etc.) usually still means something will explode if you shoot it.

Keep honking: I'm also honking.
  • Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    edited March 2013

Yeah, color-coding was more a low-rez solution when enemies' pixels could be counted on two hands. However, red (backpacks, barrels, etc.) usually still means something will explode if you shoot it.

Red barrels I can understand, because you want everyone to know that shit is serious. Red backpacks seems like some hilarious oversight on the part of henchmen management. Like they could have gotten the inconspicuous brown backpacks, but there was a deal on wholesale red backpacks that they just couldn't pass up!

Jacques L'Homme on
  • Options
    Sgt.Big_BubbaloolaSgt.Big_Bubbaloola That's Mr to you! Everywhere man....Registered User regular

Red barrels I can understand, because you want everyone to know that shit is serious. Red backpacks seems like some hilarious oversight on the part of henchmen management. Like they could have gotten the inconspicuous brown backpacks, but there was a deal on wholesale red backpacks that they just couldn't pass up.

Well I look at it as a more kaplowdy version of the Star Trek Red Shirt thing. See a guy with a red backpack/shirt/thong on, shoot him, he go kahboom!

Well gosh, I suppose I might as well settle in for a nice cuppa ...... this is gonna be good!
  • Options
    kingworkskingworks Registered User regular
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Double machete has so much enthusiasm for his machetes.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    if you don't get it the news post will often give you the context you need. once I read that I instantly got it

• Options
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Double machete has so much enthusiasm for his machetes.

If only he knew how much higher his chances of getting stabbed in the knee or head with an arrow were because of his job assignment...

• Options
    SlaignSlaign Registered User regular
    I love this new Tomb Raider game, it's really straight up my alley and relevant to my interests. I do wish there were larger puzzle set pieces like in the older games, but the mechanics are there and smaller scale puzzles are littered through the game, so I hope we see more complex puzzling in future games. Still, I really enjoyed the game.

That said, Jerry is so right about how difficult it would be to choose just one joke to make about Tomb Raider. The game honestly feels like it could be at the center of every joke made about implausible video game scenarios ever made. Not only do they overload on the ridiculous, they draw attention to it at every turn.

For example, you get a pick axe made from a knife tied to a stick with some string, and use that to pry open a metal door. This is absurd, but oh well, it's a video game. Then, 20 minutes later, they make you upgrade the pickaxe so it's strong enough to pry something bigger. It's like, "Now you're just fucking with me, right?"

This happens over and over. You rip open doors by shooting them with a rope tied to an arrow and yanking really hard so they burst into splinters. Later you run into similar doors that you can't do this to, because they are made of rebar reinforced concrete rubble. Worry not, though! You get a makeshift winch that when held in your hand somehow gives you the leverage and power to rip that door down too.

It isn't limited to just the mechanics either. The story falls victim to it as well. There are plenty of moments where I was thinking "Why are we doing this like this? This is the worst way to do this!" There's one moment in particular in the plot that was so laden with trope and a lack of internal consistency, that it even made me a little mad, and I'm pretty unflappable when it comes to that stuff.

So yeah, if you're the type of person that get's their blood boiling at exposure to the absurd, then I think you might have an issue with Tomb Raider. If you're like me and those things just kinda bounce off you or make you laugh, Tomb Raider is a lot of fun.

• Options
    To be honest, the pick-axe thing you described is the sort of video gamey thing that I just adore now. I think it's cute when games do that sort of silly shit.

The big problem Tomb Raider faces is that ludonarrative shit where she falls on a metal bar at the start (this was the preview material, not a spoiler), but then she's fine for the rest of the game like it never happened, despite the blood stain being present and thus acknowledging it happened. This is the part of video game habits that I'm getting sick of.

• Options
    RadioElectricRadioElectric Registered User regular
    Can anyone decipher Tycho's blog post:
    It looks like the Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter really shit the bed, squatting hard over a measly two and a half million dollars in just under a week. I’m sure they’re staring listelessly into whatever reflective surface is handy, wondering where exactly their lives took such a gruesome turn. I want to take a second to emphasize the totality of this thing though: Torment: Tides of Numenera is a licensed product, just like the first one. It’s just that the product they’re licensing this time around is also a creator owned, Kickstarter-funded enterprise.

It’s a late hour to be whipping up some breed of Kickstarter triumphalism, but the whole enterprise is so parallel to the existing structures that you blink a few times, involuntarily, just thinking about it.

Something "shitting the bed" usually refers to somebody fucking up, however the Kickstarter has been a great success. I'm not sure whether Tycho is stating the Kickstarter is shitting on money or shitting out money - I assume shitting out. In this case he thinks that raising $2.5million is some sort of failure? Maybe he thinks that raising so much money puts a lot of pressure on the developers? I wouldn't say so, it still hasn't made as much as Wasteland 2.

I can't work out what that passage is supposed to mean.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I think he is being sarcastic, perhaps making a reference to some internet pundit claiming that it will shit the bed or something.
    Though who knows, as far as I know the entire internet has been salivating for a sequel to Planescape:Torment (that's what this thing is right?) so I don't know who would set themselves against it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    Tycho's clearly being sarcastic about the kickstarter. I laughed out loud as I read the first sentence; classic deadpan sarcasm from TB.

Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    SlaignSlaign Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Henroid wrote: »
    To be honest, the pick-axe thing you described is the sort of video gamey thing that I just adore now. I think it's cute when games do that sort of silly shit.

The big problem Tomb Raider faces is that ludonarrative shit where she falls on a metal bar at the start (this was the preview material, not a spoiler), but then she's fine for the rest of the game like it never happened, despite the blood stain being present and thus acknowledging it happened. This is the part of video game habits that I'm getting sick of.

I think I'm the exact opposite, honestly. To me, the pry bar thing is so easily rectified. I mean, the climbing axe you get only a little while later is at least a little bit more reasonable. I'm not sure why they didn't just have her find that one right off the bat and skip the whole implausibility of the crappy one which they obviously knew was ridiculous, because they have you address the problem in game.

Like I said, this kind of thing doesn't "bother" me really, it's just silly. It honestly feels a little lazy, but I don't really care.

On the other hand, I feel better about the scenario you describe. Obviously the game is going to have us doing things that a human being in the peak of physical condition couldn't do. It's the main conceit of the game. Hell, it's the main conceit of games in general. Once you accept that, you really only have two options.

Either you try to ground the story a bit with injury and chaos with the understanding that you can't plausibly translate that over to gameplay, or you go ahead and show a hero that emerges from these situations pristine and unscathed time and time again. You can't really have Lara get wounded and have it hamper her movement in the game, that would ruin the high concept of the gameplay. So you either have to just accept that, or never have her show the wear of her adventure and completely scrap the idea that she's making it through this by the skin of her teeth.

I frankly enjoyed that they scuffed Lara up so bad throughout the course of the game. I liked that she was scarred and bloody. They kept her an attractive, sexy character, but I think her wounds gave her a bit of humanity. I like that my action heroine has scars and wounds, it gives her character. I wouldn't like it if those wounds held me back in the game though. I think Tomb Raider handled it well, with a bit of acknowledgement of the dangers of her adventure, a short impact on the gameplay as she wanders around holding her side, but then letting you get back into the gameplay you bought the game for.

A better example, for me, of the unecessarily absurd in this game is when you (medium strength spoiler ahead)
    rescue your friends from the bad guys. They are hanging in a cage over a big pit, and you cause a huge explosion that slams the cage against a nearby ledge. In the brief moment before the cage falls down the never ending pit of fire below you, all three of your friends manage to scramble out. You know, despite having just been BLOWN UP AT POINT BLANK.

Still, that's generic action fiction, and it still doesn't cause me any undue angst. The biggest offender for me was (this one is a bigger spoiler)
    the mission to go rescue Alex. On the way, if you collect his journal, you discover he went off to do something heroic in order to impress Lara because he likes her. He's the generic attractively nerdy tech guy, and he's shy and sure Lara will never notice him. Then when you find him, like 3 guys show up and he's trapped there. He insists that he be allowed to stay behind, fight the villains while Lara flees, and die a hero because "How often does a guy like me get to be the hero?" It's so corny and such a stupid trope that I was sitting there thinking, "Lara is totally going to call him an idiot, kill these dudes like she's been doing for days on this island, and save him, right?" But no, she says a tearful goodbye, lets him do it, and vows no one else will die on her watch. WHAT?

For a game that's trying to portray a more progressive version of Lara Croft, a game written by a female writer, Lara is damsel-ed quite a bit. It's kind of distressing, and that was the worst example in my mind. It's an origin story, so the vulnerability is understandable, and she does get stronger through her experiences. Still, even with the big breasts and bikinis, I feel like the old school Lara was a much stronger representation of an empowered female character. I don't remember old Lara being damsel-ed so much.
    It looks like the Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter really shit the bed, squatting hard over a measly two and a half million dollars in just under a week. I’m sure they’re staring listelessly into whatever reflective surface is handy, wondering where exactly their lives took such a gruesome turn. I want to take a second to emphasize the totality of this thing though: Torment: Tides of Numenera is a licensed product, just like the first one. It’s just that the product they’re licensing this time around is also a creator owned, Kickstarter-funded enterprise.

It’s a late hour to be whipping up some breed of Kickstarter triumphalism, but the whole enterprise is so parallel to the existing structures that you blink a few times, involuntarily, just thinking about it.

Something "shitting the bed" usually refers to somebody fucking up, however the Kickstarter has been a great success. I'm not sure whether Tycho is stating the Kickstarter is shitting on money or shitting out money - I assume shitting out. In this case he thinks that raising $2.5million is some sort of failure? Maybe he thinks that raising so much money puts a lot of pressure on the developers? I wouldn't say so, it still hasn't made as much as Wasteland 2.

I was thrown for a moment too, but I assume that he must be speaking sarcastically. The bit about the developers listlessly wondering how their life went so bad is probably just a jab at just how amazingly everything actually went for them.

Slaign on
  • Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    I thought these were two classes you picked in a multiplayer game or something.

• Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular

Red barrels I can understand, because you want everyone to know that shit is serious. Red backpacks seems like some hilarious oversight on the part of henchmen management. Like they could have gotten the inconspicuous brown backpacks, but there was a deal on wholesale red backpacks that they just couldn't pass up!

I would totally want the backpack full of explosives to be all "LOOK AT ME! I HAVE EXPLOSIVES IN ME!" I wanna know which backpacks it's safe to take a smoke break near, or set on the ground next to me when I sit down by a campfire.

I don't wanna be like "Hey, this is my bag, right? Goddamn it is dark as shit out here. Bring that torch over here, I'm gonna dig out the granola bars I brOH SHI-"

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Been playing a lot of Fallout: New Vegas lately and this made me think of Powder Gangers and their preoccupation with tossing sticks of dynamite at me.

It never seems to work out very well for them and they never learn.

Could you target them in VATS like you can with grenades? Loved blowing up grenades off Super Mutie's belts.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    are there any games where you play as the guy who carries easily targetable explosives on your body

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Job Fair?

More like Job unFair!

do ho ho ho

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular

Proof positive that written sarcasm is hard to recognize.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen